Comments Thread For: Andre Ward Gets Off The Floor, Decisions Sergey Kovalev

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
    No, no, no and no

This just leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth.

Terrible decision.
    Nah, I'm fine. Speak for yourself.

Comment

• Lol, there's some crying in this thread!! Wow.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcoqui View Post
        There was no way Ward could win that fight; only if he won 8 rounds and Kovalev 4. That did not happen. Robbery? Yes, it was!
        Ward winning 7 rounds to 5 = 115. Kov winning 5 rounds = 113. Ward got a 10-8 for round two due to the KD. 115-1 = 114. Hence a 114-113 score.

How do so many posters the last two days not understand boxing scoring?

Comment

• Originally posted by _original_ View Post
          Emotional scoring is what I call it. We all saw Ward nearly get stopped early on and find his way to make it competitive, it's great Rocky type stuff. However, that should not automatically grant him close rounds and we should score each round with a level head. I felt like most of the fight was a Kovalev fight with Ward trying to survive and adjust. Kovalev was the ring general who was in control and landed the more impactful and round swaying shots. Ward had moments, nice jab and good body shots but that was it, his lack of a good right hand hurt him here. Kovalev had an even better jab and a precise right hand which made all the difference. No way in hell I can see Ward taking 6 or 7 rounds. I say all of this as one of Ward's biggest fans on here.
          glad to read someone referring to this too.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
            Ward winning 7 rounds to 5 = 115. Kov winning 5 rounds = 113. Ward got a 10-8 for round two due to the KD. 115-1 = 114. Hence a 114-113 score.

How do so many posters the last two days not understand boxing scoring?
            I had it 115-112 Kov. but I can easily see the 114-113 for Ward. It was a close fight. Most ppl felt Kov. won majority of the early rounds while Ward won majority of the later rounds... We can ALL agree Kovalov was gassed out in the later rounds. He was falling down and falling in between the ropes clearly showing he was tired.

Comment

• Originally posted by revelated View Post
              Finally watched the full fight...

I had it 7-5 Kovalev, not counting the knockdown. Adding the knockdown gets me basically to the same score Harold Lederman had.

I couldn't see at all how Ward could win any round from 1-6. None of them.

The only one where I was in a different place was round 12. I did give that to Ward because I felt he was landing sharper down the stretch. That's how he should have been fighting the whole time.
              That's how I had it. I gave rounds 1-6 for Kovalov and round 10. While Ward I felt got Round 7-12 excluding 10.

BUT Round 10 I felt was a toss up as well as rounds 5,6, &12

KOV. CLEARLY won 1-4. While Ward CLEARLY won 7-9, 11.

No ROBBERY either way.

Comment

• Originally posted by marvin douglas View Post
                I had it ward 118-111. Easy fight. Kov was doing the holding. great defense by ward and he landed the more meaningful punches
                exactly the way i had it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nomadic View Post
                  SOG, the new champion.
                  SOG, the new Timothy Bradley.

That decision was BS. No way Ward won round six rounds straight (7-12) like McKale and Trowbridge had. No way Ward won six rounds straight (6-11) like Clements had. I bought the PPV. I watched it live. The challenger has to TAKE it from the champ. He can't be gifted a decision like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by King_ View Post
                    I would like to borrow Dr Rumacks post from another thread, and post it here:

It's important to recognise why that happens too. There's a huge problem with narrative bias when a guy like Ward fights. If the round is low action, he seems to win by default, without actually having to score himself. He gets credit for defence. But Kovalev gets no credit. When Kovalev blocks and slips shots, making Ward miss, it doesn't matter. Kovalev's defence is not part of the narrative. Only his offence. Whereas Ward gets credit for both. So Kovalev can only win rounds by landing heavy flush shots. Whereas Ward can win the round with a couple of spear jabs.

I'm sick of seeing it. Both guys should have to score at the same level to win. In boxing at the moment it's like a soccer team playing ultra defensive against an attacking team, and being awarded the win without actually having to score themselves.
                    I agree, but here's the problem. When a round is relatively even, most people with your mentality side with the puncher. So it goes both ways. You can't get upset when a perceived "boxer" gets the benefits of doubt when a round lacks fireworks. But then expect a puncher to receive the benefits of doubt when the connects are relatively equal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spacey1991 View Post
                      Ridiculous in what way?

I find it hilarious when people complain that a fight isn't scored a split decision... it was a close fight that could have gone either way, loads of 50/50 rounds, I don't get how its questionable that three judges scored a very close fight the same way, it wasn't like there was a 117-110 scorecard in there. How can it be deemed controversial because none of the judges disagreed with each other?
                      Some people with common sense who watch boxing enough can recognize that fights that close usually has at least one judge seeing the fight the other way. I'd say it's highly unusual and ridiculous that 3 judges had the same score to a fight many seen go the other way. I myself did not have Ward winning the fight. Even if it was scored 6-6 Kovalev wins off the kd. I can't give Ward 7 rounds in that fight. And many other people didn't. But each judge had the same score? Yep nothing strange!

Comment

Working...
                      X