Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Europe is it that big of a deal to beat a Mexican or African American fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
    I scored Brook-Porter 116-112, that was me being generous.

Porter landed about 4 good shots over 12 rounds. Brook utterly nullified him, did all the effective, clean work and won the fight comfortably. Porter had no success, holding and hitting around the back of the head was all he had.
    Honestly I can hear and understand your argument of that score, I could evn agree with you BUT at the same time I could hear an argument that it was a draw or close win for Porter too. The fight made Brook supposedly the best WW in boxing but why?

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
      i noticed its a big deal when an American loses...a lot, not all, are petty about stupid **** like that

unfortunately, probably 90% of those petty ****s have accounts here
      True and thats what I am trying to get at. You get it but others dont.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
        Frampton-Quigg was a much bigger fight here.
        I bet it was in the sense of crowd attendance and PPV im sure, but beating (a limited) LSC made him a star and p4p to some...

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
          True and thats what I am trying to get at. You get it but others dont.

even if its not some Euro that beats an American...like clockwork...you'll have some Euro guy on here with a 'Another American Hypejob Exposed' thread

Comment

I bet it was in the sense of crowd attendance and PPV im sure, but beating (a limited) LSC made him a star and p4p to some...
            to "some." And to many, either Cruz of Frampton being the #10 spot on Ring's p4p, clearly shows a guy at #6 called Rigondeaux, which both the Mexican and Irishman ducked moving up. ironic innit

Comment

it is more that beating a good champion overseas is reverred a little more. Fury's win over 'European' Klit is seriously good win. I'd hold that as being the best result by a British fighter in my lifetime -.

With Mexicans I am not sure how many big fights there has been between the two nations that are genuinely 50/50's in recent times - the fight at the weekend and Naz/Barerra - we've provided canon-fodder for Canelo in the main. Likewise the Mexicans that travel to the UK are fairly limited e.g. like a Periban against DeGale. The same with Americans The really good ones don't really travel. Tim Bradley is the best American to come over here in the last decade that I can think of.

So when a big fight happens between a top American or Mexican I am inclined to give the Brit a lot more credit than average because usually they will have had to make a lot of sacrifices to get the fight over the line in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
                it is more that beating a good champion overseas is reverred a little more. Fury's win over 'European' Klit is seriously good win. I'd hold that as being the best result by a British fighter in my lifetime -.

With Mexicans I am not sure how many big fights there has been between the two nations that are genuinely 50/50's in recent times - the fight at the weekend and Naz/Barerra - we've provided canon-fodder for Canelo in the main. Likewise the Mexicans that travel to the UK are fairly limited e.g. like a Periban against DeGale. The same with Americans The really good ones don't really travel. Tim Bradley is the best American to come over here in the last decade that I can think of.

So when a big fight happens between a top American or Mexican I am inclined to give the Brit a lot more credit than average because usually they will have had to make a lot of sacrifices to get the fight over the line in the first place.
                Very respectable answer.

Comment

If they are obviously good it is but no one cares about a win just because of race or nationality, unless its on an internet message board then it seems to be cause for a celebration although everyone seems to do that on the internet

Comment

Santa Cruz was considered a better fighter than Quigg, but talk of PFP probably comes from the run he's on rather than one opponent.

Unbeaten in 23 bouts, two weight world champ, good wins in the UK & US, quite a skilled boxer too so it's not that unusual he's talked about in those terms. Personally I haven't given it much thought.

Comment

Working...
                    X