No announcement yet.

Mike Tyson's relationship with Jim Jacobs turned bitter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Tyson's relationship with Jim Jacobs turned bitter

A long time ago I had heard of this before, but I didn't start reading about it untill I saw Tyson's documentary a few years ago where he would actually insult not just Bill Cayton but even Jacobs too, calling them slavemasters.

This old article talked about it, but I've read a book by mr. Mcrae years ago that went into more details than this one.
    http://articles.philly.com/1988-06-2...orraine-jacobs

In short, apparently Jacobs had never told Mike about his terminal illness, unknowingly made him sign a contract that would enable his wife to take a large percentage of Tyson's earnings, after Jim's death. Considering how close Tyson was to Jacobs, you can imagine how hurt he felt after knowing this. Part of me refuses to believe Jacobs had evil intentions behind their relationship but it's hard to ignore these sources.

It also brings a different perspective on how boxing and it's history looks at Tyson's team pre-Don King. Cayton and Jacobs backstabbed him, and Rooney was a drunk who was causing Tyson and his camp problems. It wasn't the most perfect team by any means as most people believe.

You ever notice how Tyson never really talks highly of Jacobs, Rooney etc? I'm sure he would if you asked him, but he never goes out of his way to praise them like he always does Cus. I personally think that he was hurt by them and it was never the same again afterwards. I would love to hear more info on this if you guys can share some.

Originally posted by Yaman View Post
    A long time ago I had heard of this before, but I didn't start reading about it untill I saw Tyson's documentary a few years ago where he would actually insult not just Bill Cayton but even Jacobs too, calling them slavemasters.

This old article talked about it, but I've read a book by mr. Mcrae years ago that went into more details than this one.
    http://articles.philly.com/1988-06-2...orraine-jacobs

In short, apparently Jacobs had never told Mike about his terminal illness, unknowingly made him sign a contract that would enable his wife to take a large percentage of Tyson's earnings, after Jim's death. Considering how close Tyson was to Jacobs, you can imagine how hurt he felt after knowing this. Part of me refuses to believe Jacobs had evil intentions behind their relationship but it's hard to ignore these sources.

It also brings a different perspective on how boxing and it's history looks at Tyson's team pre-Don King. Cayton and Jacobs backstabbed him, and Rooney was a drunk who was causing Tyson and his camp problems. It wasn't the most perfect team by any means as most people believe.

You ever notice how Tyson never really talks highly of Jacobs, Rooney etc? I'm sure he would if you asked him, but he never goes out of his way to praise them like he always does Cus. I personally think that he was hurt by them and it was never the same again afterwards. I would love to hear more info on this if you guys can share some.
    Tyson was the backstabber not the other way around problem is his backstabbing hurt himself more than anybody else. He let don king get inside his head and **** him. Team Tyson got him to the top and once he was there he abandoned them because he thought he'd make more money elsewhere. He doesn't talk about rooney in particular because he knows HE was the one that ****ed rooney not the other way around.
    Last edited by Daddy T; 10-19-2012, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
      Tyson was the backstabber not the other way around problem is his backstabbing hurt himself more than anybody else. He let don king get inside his head and **** him. Team Tyson got him to the top and once he was there he abandoned them because he thought he'd make more money elsewhere. He doesn't talk about rooney in particular because he knows HE was the one that ****ed rooney not the other way around.
      If this below is true, especially the bold, can you really blame him? He was a young dude, dealing with one of the most persuasive men in boxing. If he could fool very clever, fully grown men (Ali, Holmes, Mayweather for example) what chance did he have, especially given the circumstances.

That's despicable to take advantage of a fighter like that. I am no fan of Tyson but come on, really?

Originally posted by Yaman View Post
      Last edited by Capaedia; 10-19-2012, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
        Yes team Tyson got him to the top, but again, it's a fact that Jacobs never told him about his terminal illness and knew he wasn't going to live for much longer. Meanwhile he was unknowingly making Tyson sign contracts that benefitted his wife and Cayton.

And Rooney is a long time alcoholic and wasn't the perfect trainer you and most people were lead to believe. He later on sued Tyson for 49 million dollars(he only got 4 million).

Comment

Some more articles. Here people were so disgusted by Mike, yet they don't see a problem in Jacobs' actions.
          http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=6056,8988529

I mean look at this interview, by the sounds of it he was as close to Tyson as Cus was. He would have known how devastated Tyson would have been if he suddenly died while knowing all along about his terminal illness, yet never told Mike and in the meanwhile made him sign contracts that benefitted his wife and Cayton.

Bottomline, I believe Tyson got screwed by his original team before Don King screwed him as well.

Comment

Remember that the "million dollars" bouts didn't happen while his team was in place! So Cus, Jimmy, Cayton and Ronney didn't earn crap!!!! Yet put the time and effort in with Mike, and to be honest it was Teddy Atlas who assisted Cus not Ronney in the begining. Teddy did the physical part that Cus couldn't do anymore and Teddy handled Mike all through the early stages of his career.
            Mike made a big mistake with Teddy's family and Teddy was the first to go, Mike had alot of trust in Teddy and when that relationship hit the crapper it was the precurser to come!
            The plan in the Tyson career was everyone could benefit in time, didn't happen! The fact is that entire team suffered some pretty heavy hardships!
            Ray Corso

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              Remember that the "million dollars" bouts didn't happen while his team was in place! So Cus, Jimmy, Cayton and Ronney didn't earn crap!!!! Yet put the time and effort in with Mike, and to be honest it was Teddy Atlas who assisted Cus not Ronney in the begining. Teddy did the physical part that Cus couldn't do anymore and Teddy handled Mike all through the early stages of his career.
              Mike made a big mistake with Teddy's family and Teddy was the first to go, Mike had alot of trust in Teddy and when that relationship hit the crapper it was the precurser to come!
              The plan in the Tyson career was everyone could benefit in time, didn't happen! The fact is that entire team suffered some pretty heavy hardships!
              Ray Corso
              His team got 1/3rd of all of his boxing earnings up untill the Spinks fight, which btw made him about 21 million dollars. You have to understand that he was the highest paid boxer ever at that time, so the team made more than just 'crap'.

I believe that if Jim Jacobs would have handled the end of his run with Tyson better, Tyson may very well not have gotten rid of his team so abruptly. Just specualtion there on my part, of cource.

Comment

The mistake Mike made against Teddy's family went unpunished and he would make make similar mistakes which led to trouble with the law. Mike needed an influence to protect himself from his own behavior and for the most part I believe Jacobs and Cus and especially Teddy tried to provide Mike with this guidance. After Teddy was let go as Mikes trainer Jacobs would recommend Teddy to other Managers. I do believe they made mike some money and only took there fair share. If Cayton was willing to give his share of the Mangerial fee to Jacobs widow that really was not much of a deception. Mike dominated as a young professional because they put an investment of time and money as an amateur. I wish mike well as I would anyone but I am convinced that if he stayed with Cayton he would have been alot better off than with King. Benitz earned great money with jacobs and cayton then left.
                My favorite fighter Duran made good money excellent money and achieved outstanding record with eleta, arcel and brown but his own behavior contributed to the inconsistancy of his performances and money troubles. Some times the fighters have to take responsiblity for there own actions.
                Last edited by rightsideup; 10-23-2014, 05:00 PM.

Comment

They got "crap" because they died!! Its not Tysons fault but it is his fault for not following Cus's plan that included Jimmy and Cayton and after Jimmy passed he had King in his ear about Cayton being distrustfull which was a bunch of BS!
                  Tyson had the best team behind him that he could have hoped for, I know cause I was there. Doc

Comment

as I mentioned before the Jacobs/ cayton team managed wilfred benitz to his best earnings as well as his best wins. Tyson under there influnce would easily be a multi millionare because not only where they guiding his boxing carreer correctly I am sure they getting him endorsements and investments as well. I understand that they were with him until the spinks fight and they made great deal of money but mike was unbeated and correctly matched. I saw mike fight in 1991 against ruddock and although still powerful he just did not have his defensive skills and got rocked by a fighter that really only had one good punch and a somewhat limited offensive arsenal. If mike trusted cus why would he go against the people cus trusted? answer Don King, Robin Givins

Comment

Working...
                    X