No announcement yet.

Would Spence/Garcia play out Like Pryor/ Arguello

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Spence/Garcia play out Like Pryor/ Arguello

Too big of a task for Mikey. Arguello was phenomenal but the weight class Pryor was in didn't fit him and Pryor's pressure and power took him down. Does anyone see the fight playing out similarly.

possibly, but could be Hagler-Duran as well

Comment

I think Chavez SR/Taylor where Mikey boxes to a lead but Spence wears him down and likely takes him out late.

Comment

Golovkin/Brook is a more likely comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
          I think Chavez SR/Taylor where Mikey boxes to a lead but Spence wears him down and likely takes him out late.
          I don't see this comparison. That may be more of Spence vs Crawford than this fight. Mikey isn't a guy who is going to move as much, nor is he a speedster like Taylor. I doubt he has much of a speed advantage vs Spence, if he even does at all.

Mikey is going to try to counter and turn Spence all fight. Will he be successful? I don't know, but it is highly doubtful.

If Mikey was more active and had as much dog in him that Duran had, then I could see that comparison (Hagler vs Duran), but that is really pushing it.

Either way, I am still excited to see how it plays out. Mikey is super skillful and has arguably the best fundamentals in the game. Spence isn't going to be able to load up against him and get away with it. Mikey is too good for that. Spence may at times want to prove he can box with Mikey and start countering him or just out jabbing him. Mikey REALLY wants this fight and it isn't one that he was forced to take or had no other option, so lets see what he sees in Spence that makes him so confident.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
            I don't see this comparison. That may be more of Spence vs Crawford than this fight. Mikey isn't a guy who is going to move as much, nor is he a speedster like Taylor. I doubt he has much of a speed advantage vs Spence, if he even does at all.

Mikey is going to try to counter and turn Spence all fight. Will he be successful? I don't know, but it is highly doubtful.

If Mikey was more active and had as much dog in him that Duran had, then I could see that comparison (Hagler vs Duran), but that is really pushing it.

Either way, I am still excited to see how it plays out. Mikey is super skillful and has arguably the best fundamentals in the game. Spence isn't going to be able to load up against him and get away with it. Mikey is too good for that. Spence may at times want to prove he can box with Mikey and start countering him or just out jabbing him. Mikey REALLY wants this fight and it isn't one that he was forced to take or had no other option, so lets see what he sees in Spence that makes him so confident.
            Not suggesting Mikey is a speedster or Spence is like Chavez sr. just suggesting his best chance to win is boxing Spence and Spence should be able to wear him down over the course of the fight.

Comment

That's going to depend on if Garcia can really hurt Spence..One thing about Arguello he could hurt Pryor and badly hurt pryor..As of now I think there is dout about Garcia's power at WW..He could not finish Broner and dear I say was looking like he was getting clocked by Broner late in that fight..

So again anything can happen..Yet for me Mikey has to show Spence early he can hurt him..Or you can forget this comparison..

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing56 View Post
                Too big of a task for Mikey. Arguello was phenomenal but the weight class Pryor was in didn't fit him and Pryor's pressure and power took him down. Does anyone see the fight playing out similarly.
                Spence isn't really much heavier than Mikey. Mikey weighed 149 on fight night for Easter and Spence weighed 156 on fight night for his last fight. No doubt Mikey would weigh more than 149 on fight night if he fought Spence at welterweight. I believe Spence is by far the best welterweight fighting today. I think he will easily beat Mikey not because he is so much bigger but because he is so much better. He hits much harder, takes a punch much better and throws lots more punches per round than Mikey. I think it would be a one sided fight with Spence winning all the rounds and knocking Mikey out in any round from the 1st round to the 8th round maximum. MAN DOWN!

Comment

Spence is going to KO Garcia. If they really fight.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                    Not suggesting Mikey is a speedster or Spence is like Chavez sr. just suggesting his best chance to win is boxing Spence and Spence should be able to wear him down over the course of the fight.
                    No doubt, I got that part, but just saying the comparison you made may be better using Crawford instead of Mikey. Taylor won those rounds with his speed/athleticism/boxing skills. That more so is Crawford than Mikey.

Comment

Working...
                    X