Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What made you a boxing fan? Why do you love the sport?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Staying up late on Saturdays with my dad to watch De la Hoya and Roy Jones. Not just them, staying up late watching any fight that came on. My dad is a casual fan of boxing who seems to have a keen and sharp eye. His interest became mine, It's been in and out of my life.

Boxing is everything in life. Struggle, success, battles, preparation, mental/physical/emotional roller coaster. Boxing embodies the truth of who we are, everything we are comes out in the ring, when we put on a pair of gloves, when it feels as if everything can collapse on you at once.

It's the resilience, heart, courage, intelligence and skills/abilities that keep me interested. Boxing is life, life is a fight. One none of us can really run away from.

Comment

Every Saturday night in PR my uncle use to come over the house
      back in that time there was only one tv in the whole house, and I remember
      him screaming "igado,igado" (liver, liver) one day I sat with him to
      watch "Camacho vs Rosario" and that's where it all began...
      long live the sport of boxing!!!

Comment

My grandmother got me into boxing.

Huge enthusiast, and when big fights came along I remember she would get the whole family together to watch them. First big fight I remember watching as a child was Tito & Oscar. Culture had a lot to with it as well. On the island (Cuba) they use to have amateur smoker fights in my neighborhood all the time, they would set the ring up in the middle of the neighborhood and guys from all over the province would come and compete. The atmosphere was crazy. She would tell me about all the Cuban greats like Kid Gavilan and Kid Chocolate and even the Olympic champions like Felix Savon & Teofilio Stevenson, so being Cuban I almost felt like I had a natural inclination to not just watching boxing, but participating in it. (The nickname I was given, "Mantequilla", or butter, was after Cuban champion Jose Napoles)

Didn't take it seriously until I walked into a gym as a teen and one of the coaches (who knew of my propensity for startin fights in school/getting suspended/expelled) suggested it to me as a way of keepin me out of trouble. It was with him that I watched Corrales vs. Castillo, and after that I was hooked. I had decided this is what I was gonna be doing until my body didn't allow me to do it anymore.

Comment

Dad woke me up in the middle of the night to watch the re-air of Cotto vs Pinto and Margarito vs Santos. Cotto became my favorite fighter from that point on and boxing became my favorite sport. Ironic considering how Margarito and Cotto were destined to colide.

Comment

I grew up hating sports... All my friends ever wanted to do was play basketball, whether its outside in the summer or via Xbox

I was always around boxing (my brother's been a fan since before I was born), but i never paid it any attention cuz it was the same to me as any other sport

Then I saw the Mayweather/DLH 24/7 that's what really hooked me for life... It was like a Rocky Movie... Mayweather/Hatton 24/7 made sure I stayed becuz that was a Rocky Movie... With the actual fight as the main event

I know it doesn't make me look good as a boxing fan to know I started REALLY watching it in 2009, but I assure u all, I went back and paid my respects to the fighters of the past and consider myself a quite respectable analyst at the very least

Comment

margaritos chin in the 1st cotto fight

Comment

Rjj prince naz and the morales barera pac era is what did it for me. Then guys like winky and hopkins showed me the sweet science vs tito. Also lennox lewis beating guys like tyson and golota... then the klit fight.

Comment

Camacho dlh feud as well... when camacho welched on the bet to cut off his curl

Comment

Comment

Watching Pryor-Arguello I and II. It seemed like everyone hated Aaron Pryor. I thought he was a skillful boxer. He was confident, tough, and backed up what he was saying. I routed for Pryor. I routed for the better boxer whether he was liked or not. I've been loving boxing ever since.

Comment

Working...
                      X