No announcement yet.

Best boxers aged 23 or under in each division

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best boxers aged 23 or under in each division

I typed this up last week so boxrec rankings will be slightly different by now, mostly posting this so I can come back in 3+ years and check how guys developed

HW

Nathan Gorman, UK, 22
    13(11)-0
    Boxrec #38
    Most recent weight: 249

Petar Milas, Croatian, 23
    13(10)-0
    MRW: 227

Daniel Dubois, UK, 21
    9(8)-0
    MRW: 239

Darmani Rock, US, 22
    13(8)-0
    MRW:275

Vladyslav Sirenko, Ukraine, 23
    9(8)-0

CW

Jai Opetaia, Australia, 23
    16(13)-0
    2012 Olympian
    Boxrec #28

Dilan Prasovic, Montenegro, 23
    10(8)-0

Juergen Uldedaj, Germany, 21
    9(2)-0

Tahir Kahrovic, Germany, 22
    11(8)-0

Ilja Mezencev, Germany 22
    18(16)-1

LHW

Erik Bazinyan, Canadian, 23
    20(15)-0
    boxrec #26

Ali Akhmedov, Kazakh, 23
    13(10)-0

Reagan Dessaix, NZ, 22
    15(10)-1

Jonas Madsen, Danish, 23
    12(4)-0

James Kraft, German, 21
    14(9)-0-1

SMW

David Benavidez, US, 21
    20(17)-0, already champ

Vincent Feigenbutz, Germany, 23
    29(26)-2-0

Louis Toutin, France, 21
    11(10)-0

Ramil Gadzhyiev, Ukraine, 20
    8(5)-1-1
    Reported as 262-4 as an amateur, is that realistic for someone who turned pro aged 17? Co-promoted by DiBella, possibly just turned pro a bit too soon, lost his 2nd fight

Mose Auimatagi Jnr, New Zealand, 23
    11(7)-1-2
    Started his career 1-1-2 so has done well to rebuild including traveling to UK to defeat an unbeaten prospect

MW

Khasan Baysangurov, Russian, 21
    17(7)-0
    boxrec #28

Christian Mbilli, France, 23
    12(12)-0, 100% KO record, nobody has survived past the 5th round, and against better opponents than most on the list are facing, last 3 opponents combined record of 52-3
    2016 Olympian
    boxrec #32

Marcelo Fabian Caceres, Argentina, 23
    18(13)-3, started his career 7-3
    boxrec #38

Wanik Awdijan, Germany, 23
    23(10)-1, the loss was 4 years ago
    boxrec #46

Gonzalo Gaston Coria, Argentina, 21
    14(5)-2
    boxrec #71

JMW

Jaime Munguia, Mexican, 22
    31(26)-0 has had a great 2018 so far
    Boxrec #4

Magomed Kurbanov, Russian, 23
    15(11)-0

Hassan Mwakinyo, Tanzania, 23
    12(8)-2 recently beat Sam Eggington in an upset

Erickson Lubin, US, 23
    19(14)-1 currently rebuilding after 1st round loss to Charlo

Steven Butler, Canada, 23
    25(22)-1 loss was to Cook, who Munguia recently beat

WW

Jaron Ennis, US, 21
    21(19)-0
    boxrec #44

Vladyslav Sirenko, Russia, 23
    9(7)-0

Karen Chukhadzhyan, Ukraine, 22
    13(7)-1 the loss was in the final of a one-night 8 man tournament on his debut

Malik Hawkins, US, 22
    13(9)-0

Derrieck Cuevas, PR, 23
    18(14)-0-1

JWW

Mario Barrios, US, 23
    22(14)-0
    Boxrec #35

Uriel Perez, Mexico, 23
    17(15)-3

Jeremias Nicolas Ponce, Argentina, 22
    20(14)-0

Mykal Fox, US, 22
    18(4)-0 tall for the weight at 6'3

Jonathan Navarro, US, 22
    15(8)-0

LW

Gustavo Daniel Lemos, Argentina, 22
    18(9)-0
    Boxrec #24

Devin Haney, US, 19
    20(13)-0

Romero Duno, Pinoy, 22
    18(14)-1

Carlos Diaz Ramirez, Mexico, 23
    26(13)-1, his loss was a back and forth war against Jose Zepeda, a good fighter who lost a title challenge due to dislocated shoulder

Teofimo Lopez, US, 21
    10(8)-0
    2016 Olympian

SFW

Gervonta Davis, US, 23
    20(19)-0, champ
    Boxrec #2

Mikhail Alexeev, Russia, 23
    12(4)-0

Ryan Garcia, US, 20
    16(13)

Azinga Fuzile, South Africa, 22
    11(6)-0

Eduardo Hernandez, Mexico, 20
    26(23)-0 88% KO record, even more impressive he was taken the distance in 3 of his first 6 fights aged 16 and has been on a 20 fight KO streak since

The guys I'm watching closer than some of the others.

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
    HW

Daniel Dubois, UK, 21
    9(8)-0
    MRW: 239

Darmani Rock, US, 22
    13(8)-0
    MRW:275
    Dubois seems like a freak who once his maturity of mind & skills reach the level of physical maturity he has he's gonna be a bad mfer who could give anyone trouble. Always gotta be concerned with these HW's chin's doe.

Big fan of Rock's amateur success & he came close to making the Olympic team, but so far he's looking like a guy who's just in boxing cuz its something he's done for so much of his life & he's got natural talent, but I have hope he'll start taking the game more seriously at some point. Could easily see him being a Andy Ruiz type where he could go either way in his career based on how much he puts in.

SMW

David Benavidez, US, 21
    20(17)-0, already champ

Ramil Gadzhyiev, Ukraine, 20
    8(5)-1-1
    Reported as 262-4 as an amateur, is that realistic for someone who turned pro aged 17? Co-promoted by DiBella, possibly just turned pro a bit too soon, lost his 2nd fight
    Benavidez is a cat who I feel like could be a future HOFer with his age, his skill already & the guys he could be fighting in the next few years. Rooting on this recent coke thing not being a long term or chronic thing in his career.

Gadzhiev was a guy I was hyped about when I first heard of him & then he dropped his very next fight lol. He's turned things around since then with a 7-0-1 record since then & is grooving along vs some very solid low level opposition at age 20 already which is virtually unheard of. I think he'll keep it moving forward & will be a guy who'll be a player in the division in the next 2-5 years.

JMW

Jaime Munguia, Mexican, 22
    31(26)-0 has had a great 2018 so far
    Boxrec #4

Erickson Lubin, US, 23
    19(14)-1 currently rebuilding after 1st round loss to Charlo
    Munguia is obviously the young cat on the way up of the moment right now & I think he's got all the potential in the world right now to be the next Cinco de Mayo/Mexican Independence Day guy. Still raw, but plenty of time to improve & has potential to move up a division or two it would seem. If GBP was smart they'd co-main him with Canelo for the next few years to really push his name.

Really dig Lubin, but part of me things he's not build for this game. That Charlo fight has me thinking that could end up being his career defining fight & foreshadow his future in this sport. Those types of loses often seem hard to let go of for a fighter. There is a lot of confidence in boxing & getting slept like that has to f#ck with a cat. I think he can still be a indie top ten guy & if you can be that you can be a title holder so I'm rooting for him.

WW

Jaron Ennis, US, 21
    21(19)-0
    boxrec #44
    Was rooting for Ennis during the Olympic Trials & he came mad close to getting there. Allegedly all 3 of his amateur L's (58-3 record) are to Gary A. Russell (Gary Russell's bro lol) & 2 of them came at the Olympic Trials. Talk about bad f#cking luck. And the effed up part is he beat him in the winners bracket earlier in the tournament only to lose to him back to back at the end. I believe they had a rivalry that went 3-2 Gary A's way overall. Anyway he turned pro to lil fanfare because of how pro boxing works for guys without that Olympic pedigree, but has been grinding hard racking up W's, & usually KO's, among the most recent one on Showtime vs another undefeated guy. Think he's gonna be a player in the division & looking forward to seeing him vs better guys.

JWW

Mario Barrios, US, 23
    22(14)-0
    Boxrec #35
    Been hyping Barrios for awhile. I think he's gonna be a player at 140 in the next couple years.

LW

Devin Haney, US, 19
    20(13)-0

Teofimo Lopez, US, 21
    10(8)-0
    2016 Olympian
    Wasn't sure what to make of Haney with his first 18 bs fights & they were above average bs fights with many of them being in Mexico vs complete nobodies that were well beneath what Devin should have been fighting even being careful coming into the game as a young pro. But his 2 real fights have greatly impressed me & I think he's gonna be a rough go for a lot of people. Don't think he's ready for Loma or Mikey (but f#ck who is at 135) & idk how this dude can't close his mouth in the ring (I foresee a broken jaw in his future), but he's gonna be a fun one to watch over the next few years.

And same with Lopez although I had less questions about him & had more respect for his resume, despite Devin leap frogging him in his last two fights.

SFW

Gervonta Davis, US, 23
    20(19)-0, champ
    Boxrec #2

Ryan Garcia, US, 20
    16(13)

Eduardo Hernandez, Mexico, 20
    26(23)-0 88% KO record, even more impressive he was taken the distance in 3 of his first 6 fights aged 16 and has been on a 20 fight KO streak since
    Big fan of Tank. Fun to watch. Talented beyond his years. Smart with his marketing & his brand. Doing some dumb sh^t at times, but hopefully that'll ultimately be equated to being young & dumb as he matures & gets smarter. I think Tank will end up being a 2 division title holder & I think he could end up being the #1 guy at 130 & 135 eventually, which is less common then simply winning titles in multiple divisions,

Garcia has potential, but I think he might need to be moved a lil slower then they are moving him. I think he's quick & powerful, but there are some holes in his games that could be exploited by crafty vets or slightly further along prospects. Give this cat a 3-4 years & he could start to be a real player at w/e division he's in by then.

Hernandez I legit just heard of last week or sh^t just 3 days ago I think literally so still learning about him & haven't been able to check out too many of his fights yet, but he seems promising & like a guy with some interesting potential as a heavy handed Mexican cat in a sport where Mexican cats can get a huge mainstream base of Mexican fans that can boost you up a lot. I'll be looking forward to seeing what he does as he moves up to higher caliber of opponents. Can't give much of an opinion on what I think he'll be capable of or when he'll be capable of soon or eventually, but I'm looking forward to seeing more of his fights (old & new) while coming up with a more concrete guess of his potential.

Comment

everyone's 23 on this list.

featherweight

mark magsayo
      18(13)-0
      wbc #1 contender

super bantamweight

emanuel navarrete
      25(22)-1, 20 fights winning streak
      wbo #2

bantamweight

takuma inoue
      12(3)-0
      several good wins, probably fighting for the wbc title next year because everybody else is busy with wbss, wbc #4

flyweight

daigo higa
      15(15)-1
      4 title fights, lost it in his last bout, still has a lot of time to rebuild

kosei tanaka
      12(7)-0
      3 weight champion, beat top 10 guys in all 3, the best young fighter if you ask me

minimumweight

ryuya yamanaka
      16(5)-3
      former champion, retired this year but is worth mentioning
      Last edited by drablj; 10-16-2018, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Ryan Garcia has a lot of cheese but not much meat.

Comment

Great list. Subbing so I can add to it

Comment

Thanks, interesting list. Would also be interesting to bump this thread in a couple years with their records and how they did.

Comment

Jaron Ennis and Devin Haney are the crown jewels of the list. Ennis will be giving every welterweight trouble in two years.

Comment

Clegg

LHW

Willy Hutchinson, UK, 20
                5-0 (3)

SMW

Leon Bauer. Germany, 20
                14-0-1 (9)

LMW

Serhii Bohachuk, Ukraine, 23
                11-0 (11)

Zsolt Duranyi, Hungary, 23
                15-0 (14)

Ted Cheeseman, UK, 23
                15-0 (9)

Artem Oganesyan, Russia, 19
                7-0 (6)

WW

Sergey Lubkovich, Russia, 23
                9-0 (7)

Shabkhabas Makhumudov, Russia, 21
                4-0 (4)

Lewis Crocker, UK, 21
                7-0 (6)

Aaron Mckenna, Ireland, 19
                5-0 (3)

SFW

Archie Sharp, UK, 23
                14-0 (7)

Jon Fernandez, Spain, 23
                16-1 (14)

BW

Lee Mcgregor, UK, 21
                5-0 (5)
                Last edited by Bassfist; 11-09-2018, 10:10 AM.

Comment

These guys just missed out because they are 24 years old

LMW Khuseyn Baysangurov, Russia, 14-0 (12)
                  WW Razhab Butaev, Russia, 10-0 (8),
                  WW Eimantas Stanionis, Lithuania, 7-0 (5)
                  LWW Georgi Chelokhsaev, Russia, 15-1-1 (12)
                  LW Zaur Abdullaev, Russia, 10-0 (6)
                  SBW Jack Bateson, UK, 7-0 (2)

Comment

Thanks a lot
                    very interesting list.

Comment

Working...
                    X