No announcement yet.

If Manny Steward was still alive...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
    Did I make it up that Wilder spent time at Kronk under Steward or did that happen?
    Not sure on that but he was part of that big HW training camp Manny did with Wlad and Fury.

I remember Steward trained Fury for 1-2 fights, it was just before or just after McCracken worked with Fury, 2010 sort of time.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
      Breazeale I think? or Martin?

Twice.
      yea he messed Breazeale up

Comment

Emmanuel Steward predicted that a young Tyson Fury had all the tools to one day conquer the Heavyweight division, and had the potential to rule for a long time. Would have been a good fit and could have helped Tyson reach those goals.

Comment

He'd without a doubt want to train AJ and also teach him the John Ruiz technique.

I have no idea why Wilder can't throw straight punches. He has one of the most decorated fighters in the history of Amatuer boxing in his corner and still can't throw a straight right hand consistently. Mind boggling

Comment

AJ, easily... dude is robotic & chinny, Steward excels with that type of fighter.
            (Wilder if you changed his style would get KTFO)

Comment

I think that is impossible to know in advance. He was a great trainer. A great trainer can train all boxers. He isn't restricted to training only boxers of a certain type. He successfully trained many different boxers with different styles and assets.

Comment

A more interesting proposition for me is IF Manny was alive, how would the KLITSCHKO VS FURY fight have gone differently , I doubt Manny allows Wlad to fight like that for 12 rounds without demanding adjustments, look at the chambers fight which wlad was winning convincingly yet was still berated to go for the finish. Not only that but Manny knew Fury was a special talent and i'm sure would of devised a game plan accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
                  which of AJ, Wilder, Fury do you think he'd best suited to training, which of them would he improve the most within a 12 month period?

I'm undecided, but lean slightly towards AJ. His last fight was boring but he showed he can box to that kind of gameplan, not get caught up in emotions or force things. It was made easier by Parker's low risk approach but I just feel he'd listen to what he was told, trust Steward's instructions fully. But both Wilder and Fury seem to thrive when they fight in the moment, not saying they wouldn't trust Steward but they both throw unexpected, awkward shots more often than AJ, they both look better when in their own rhythm.

Steward could improve Wilder/Fury in a lot of ways but I also wonder if he'd develop them towards a more othodox style which could limit some of their best qualities. Whereas with AJ, he already seems comfortable heading towards that kind of style.
                  Definitely Fury. It would be Fury or Wilder because he thought highly of them in his lifetime and prophesied that both would be champions years before they were relevant. I'd pick Fury over Wilder because stylistically Steward knows he can make him even more invincible and great.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                    I think Wilder and Fury both spent some time with Steward. Wilder probably took the most on board, especially the way he uses the jab and sets up his right hand. He looks like a crazy lab experiment version of a Kronk fighter.

I feel Joshua would benefit most. I think Steward would show him a few things about how to use his lead and set up the right, how to properly generate power, that I think he is lacking a bit at the moment. He seems a bit over coached under Mckracken. Steward might be able to loosen him up a bit.

His right especially I feel he just sells it, and as he has stepped up he hasnt really been able to land it. Parker, Takam and Klitschko saw it coming a mile off when he threw it from the outside. Steward is brilliant at getting big HWs using simple systems for blinding their opponent and clearing the guard
                    Definitely agree with that.

Comment

Working...
                    X