No announcement yet.

Who WINS Fitzsimmons V Corbett with modern gloves

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who WINS Fitzsimmons V Corbett with modern gloves

If Bob Fitzsimmons and James Corbett fought with modern sized gloves and presuming Corbett never pursued an acting career
    I have a feeling Corbett wins this one as the larger gloves lessen Fitz's precision power. what are your thoughts ?

Think this will be my last ever thread, my threads just very unpopular

Comment

I've got Corbett 9 times out of 10 regardless of what gloves they were wearing.

He was the superior boxer.....and usually had no problem taking a fair whack either. If he was offered a return you can bet that he'd have that solar plexus issue well covered!

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
        I've got Corbett 9 times out of 10 regardless of what gloves they were wearing.

He was the superior boxer.....and usually had no problem taking a fair whack either. If he was offered a return you can bet that he'd have that solar plexus issue well covered!
        Maybe 7 out of 10 in my book, but Corbetts main problem was the quandary of knocking Bob out in a fight to the finish (a concept I truly like as it rarely left any doubt as to the better man.... Lets face it, Corbett lost the title much the same way as John L. Sullivan and Jack Dempsey,,, they got used to the good life, stopped training then stopped fighting for a few years... then cry about losing the title... despite all three of them being warned as to what their eventual fate would be...... it pays to listen to the grizzled old men sometimes... cos they have seen it all before.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
          Maybe 7 out of 10 in my book, but Corbetts main problem was the quandary of knocking Bob out in a fight to the finish (a concept I truly like as it rarely left any doubt as to the better man.... Lets face it, Corbett lost the title much the same way as John L. Sullivan and Jack Dempsey,,, they got used to the good life, stopped training then stopped fighting for a few years... then cry about losing the title... despite all three of them being warned as to what their eventual fate would be...... it pays to listen to the grizzled old men sometimes... cos they have seen it all before.
          It was a different mentality back then. You'd win the title then go on the road milking the publicity, doing exhibitions, theatre. Much more cash for low risk.

The world heavyweight champion attained mythical status that they didn't want to lose. It was a great cash cow. A champion would only defend their title if their popularity was in doubt (often because a challenger was perceived as being worthy and the newspapers started putting the pressure on the champion to defend).

I think that Corbett's condition wasn't poor for the Fitzimmon's fight. He seemed lean and lively enough on the film of the fight. He was certainly ahead on points too. But I doubt whether abdominal training at the time was brilliant (we don't see too many solar plexus knockouts in world class today).

As for Fitz, I've got a feeling that he was always going to lose to Jeffries......

Comment

It was a different mentality back then. You'd win the title then go on the road milking the publicity, doing exhibitions, theatre. Much more cash for low risk.

The world heavyweight champion attained mythical status that they didn't want to lose. It was a great cash cow. A champion would only defend their title if their popularity was in doubt (often because a challenger was perceived as being worthy and the newspapers started putting the pressure on the champion to defend).

I think that Corbett's condition wasn't poor for the Fitzimmon's fight. He seemed lean and lively enough on the film of the fight. He was certainly ahead on points too. But I doubt whether abdominal training at the time was brilliant (we don't see too many solar plexus knockouts in world class today).

As for Fitz, I've got a feeling that he was always going to lose to Jeffries......
            Jeffries was tailor made to defeat Bob and he also had the benefit of Corbetts expertise, a sullen vengeful Corbett who wanted revenge. Jeffries had become a beast by that time. I actually think its a big shame that most of the other fighters of that era dont get recognition... it was them more than the title holders who got the boxing ball rolling, where Sullivan and Corbett were cashing in guys like Tom Sharkey, Frank Slavin, Gus Ruhlin and Joe Choynski were fighting on a monthly basis at least.. it was them who fans got to see for the most part...... there were many like this.

Comment

Jeffries was tailor made to defeat Bob and he also had the benefit of Corbetts expertise, a sullen vengeful Corbett who wanted revenge. Jeffries had become a beast by that time. I actually think its a big shame that most of the other fighters of that era dont get recognition... it was them more than the title holders who got the boxing ball rolling, where Sullivan and Corbett were cashing in guys like Tom Sharkey, Frank Slavin, Gus Ruhlin and Joe Choynski were fighting on a monthly basis at least.. it was them who fans got to see for the most part...... there were many like this.
              I also wonder sometimes if the guy who invented trash talking was probably either Corbett and Fitzsimmons,,, man how those two hated each other. They say Graziano and Zale hated each other but I dont think it was on a par with the hatred that Ruby and the Gentleman had for each other.

Comment

I also wonder sometimes if the guy who invented trash talking was probably either Corbett and Fitzsimmons,,, man how those two hated each other. They say Graziano and Zale hated each other but I dont think it was on a par with the hatred that Ruby and the Gentleman had for each other.

I gather that 'Gentleman' Jim might even have spat at Ruby!

As for boxers who have really detested each other, its rare for hatred to last too many years after the fights. Frazier seemed to become more mellow to Ali, Nigel Benn seems much better around Chris Eubank. Roberto Duran & Ray Leonard even embrace in public these days.

Comment

I gather that 'Gentleman' Jim might even have spat at Ruby!

As for boxers who have really detested each other, its rare for hatred to last too many years after the fights. Frazier seemed to become more mellow to Ali, Nigel Benn seems much better around Chris Eubank. Roberto Duran & Ray Leonard even embrace in public these days.
                  yep, even Zale and Graziano I have actually seen laughing at each others jokes in later life,,.. Rocky really had changed a lot and seemed quite mellow.

Comment

Working...
                  X