No announcement yet.

How good was Tony Ayala Jr?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good was Tony Ayala Jr?

I can't find that many fights of him..... did anybody watch him when he was young? How would he have done against hagler,hearns,leanard,etc?

Originally posted by BOXEO626SGV View Post
    I can't find that many fights of him..... did anybody watch him when he was young? How would he have done against hagler,hearns,leanard,etc?

Legend has it, that at 14, Ayala sparred with then champ, and ATG PEpino Cuevas and kicked his ass to the point where they kicked Ayala out, and didnt allow him to spar the champ anymore.

My dad was an assistant trainer with Kenny Weldon back in the day. He said Ayala had the potential to be close to an ATG.

Before he went in, he was just about to fight Duran. My dad said to this day, that is one fight he still wishes could have been made.

He said that Duran was the man back then, but thought Ayala could hang, and actually told me, "For some reason, I think Ayala may have beat Duran. If he didnt, it would have been a really good fight."

Comment

DAYUM some interesting stuff right there... thanks alot for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by _HTownTexan_ View Post
        Legend has it, that at 14, Ayala sparred with then champ, and ATG PEpino Cuevas and kicked his ass to the point where they kicked Ayala out, and didnt allow him to spar the champ anymore.

My dad was an assistant trainer with Kenny Weldon back in the day. He said Ayala had the potential to be close to an ATG.

Before he went in, he was just about to fight Duran. My dad said to this day, that is one fight he still wishes could have been made.

He said that Duran was the man back then, but thought Ayala could hang, and actually told me, "For some reason, I think Ayala may have beat Duran. If he didnt, it would have been a really good fight."

Did not know this

Comment

I think he is the only boxer that I've seen spit on his opponent after knocking him down.

Comment

Originally posted by kimmiblob View Post

Did not know this
            Originally posted by BOXEO626SGV View Post
            DAYUM some interesting stuff right there... thanks alot for the info.
            Yeah, my dad told me some crazy stories about how good he was. He says Duran was the best he has seen, but thought Ayala would beat him.

I ended up buying some old Ring Magazines, and other boxing magazines from way back in the day that had articles on him.

I know what he did made him a horrible person, but based solely on what he was in the ring, he really intrigued me. I have read a lot about him.

Just think, a 14 year old going in there and dominating Floyd or Pac. Crazy.

Comment

too bad he was a rapist and drug addict

Comment

Tony Ayala Jr, i remember watching him back in the 80's. He was brutal with tons of pressure. Good counter puncher and power with both hands. One of the most skilled fighters I've seen in the last 25 years, too bad he never reached his true potential.

when he came out of the prison, he fought a couple of tune ups, he was already near the age of 40, and got a fight with yuri boy compas.he did well early for a guy who's been inactive for 20 plus years.
                Last edited by ElMeroChingon; 11-18-2011, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by money.j-210 View Post
                  too bad he was a rapist and drug addict
                  Yeah, thats why I said, solely based on what he did in the ring, he was a bad mofo that never reached where he should have gotten to.

Comment

I saw one fight of his on some late night boxing show. I knew nothing about him other than he was a contender that had just gotten out of prison. He looked like he was a good 20lbs over weight, in real bad shape. He totally obliterated the guy he fought, I was surprised at just how good the guy looked. Banged hard and was extremely accurate, hardly missed a shot. I have no idea who the guy he was fighting was, figured he was a bum but judging buy just how bad Ayala looked physically going into the fight I had to give him credit.

This fight still sticks in my head today so I must have been watching something special. Looked very natural to him, like he was born to do it. Looked good with both hands.

Comment

Working...
                    X