No announcement yet.

The greatness that was Jimmy Young

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The greatness that was Jimmy Young

I will make a case for putting Jimmy Young down as a great fighter, right up there with Foreman, Norton, Ali, Frazier... and will try to address some of the critics about Young. At his best, witness the Foreman fight, he is like a heavy weight Charly Burley, both men never having been champions of the division... Both men never waste a punch, with the caveat that Jimmy was more of a combo puncher than Burley... Both men were defensively gifted, always in a position to counter, and would punish the opponent for any miss. While Burley was expressionless, an efficiency machine, Jimmy was a character, with a sly s hit eating grin, a smirk, but that same technical greatness.

First, Young is often characterized as "inconsistent." If we look carefully and consider the following we can address this critiscism: first, lets bookend his career, like most fighters he came up learned a few lessons, and fought past hi better days:

this is what we get, coming up he lost a few with his first big loss against Shavers who he would later draw with. On the other end of things, he lost a few to ossie Ocasio, where he was allegedly out of shape, and really? this was the end of his career as a legit condender.

Looking at his middle between those bookends, we have to throw the judges out the window... Young could easily have been declared the victor over Ali and Norton. It would seem that Young was not inconsistent at all. He may have came up in learning mode, losing to a few no name opponents, and he was obviously past it after the Norton fight. If we give him the benefit of the doubt on one of the decisions that were contraversal, the guy basically lost to one guy (either Norton, or Ali) and its not a stretch to say he beat Ali and Norton.

This would mean that Young essentially beat: Lyle (twice) drew with Shavers after a loss, Norton, Ali, and Foreman!

If you watch Young he is a fantastic fighter. Again, he had a first rate chin, great speed, technical excellence on the level of a guy like Moore, or Burley, and a big heart.

I think Young's speed might have been enough to beat Frazier as well.

Thoughts? And let me just say in advance: Queenie you are a halfwit.

Through the ages, there have been so many "Jimmy Youngs" that have fallen into oblivion, because they never won a title.

Posts highlighting these forgotten warriors, are my favorites.

At times, there is a post of a boxer I never heard of. And it becomes enthralling, digging into that fighter's life and career.

Comment

Young was the real deal.Watched videos of those fights.

Comment

Young was a cool fighter, but put him with a great pure boxer, it is not good.

Comment

I've been hearing this a lot about Jimmy Young recently for some reason. Need to do a deeper dive into his fights at some point.

Comment

Don't care if the guy never won a title. Young was a good fighter, fought the best and held his own.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post

Through the ages, there have been so many "Jimmy Youngs" that have fallen into oblivion, because they never won a title.

Posts highlighting these forgotten warriors, are my favorites.

At times, there is a post of a boxer I never heard of. And it becomes enthralling, digging into that fighter's life and career.
              Its great that we have a sport where we can find these guys! Makes for real revisionism that could be constuctive. One of the problems for Young was he came out of an area (Philly) known for hard hitters, no nonsense workers... and he could engage in nonsense, often to pull a trap (the foreman fight), and he was not a hard hitter!

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                I've been hearing this a lot about Jimmy Young recently for some reason. Need to do a deeper dive into his fights at some point.
                JUST on the Foreman fight alone! He should get a lot more credit. And then... Yes he beat a compromised Ali (I don't care what the judges said lol) but he was consistent against fellow great fighters like Norton, who many thought he beat as well. He got past Lyle, his only stumble was the first Shaver's fight.

Comment

Wow! Feeling good about this thread!

Im glad a lot of people can see the point of view that Young was something special... To be honest I was expecting a lot of naysayers

Comment

if i remember correctly young didn't win one round although ali landed zero punches in it. that alone speaks volumes about judging against ali at the time. if he was more pushed (more popular, moneymaker) he would have a better resume than frazier and frazier is considered an atg.

Comment

Working...
                    X