No announcement yet.

Fighters who didnt belive in doing lots of sparring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
    Trying to find where I read about him sparring Johnson now, I definitely know that Johnson said Greb was the fastest boxer he'd ever seen.

There's rumours that Greb got the better of Dempsey in 2 sparring sessions and beat him up which is why Dempsey's management kept him away from Greb.
    Thanks for the info, if only we could've seen Greb.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
      Trying to find where I read about him sparring Johnson now, I definitely know that Johnson said Greb was the fastest boxer he'd ever seen.

There's rumours that Greb got the better of Dempsey in 2 sparring sessions and beat him up which is why Dempsey's management kept him away from Greb.

I believe I have read somewhere of Jack Johnson saying this also, but I think it was Jim Johnson that Greb use to spar with.

Comment

Manny Steward doesn't believe his fighters should do a lot of sparring.

Comment

not James Toney, lol...

and Manny Steward doesn't believe in sparring? really? after all the legendary gym wars in the Kronk Gym?

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
            Manny Steward doesn't believe his fighters should do a lot of sparring.
            I heard manny was known back in the 80's for the gym wars at his gym

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Giardello View Post
              I heard manny was known back in the 80's for the gym wars at his gym
              I was thinking this also, but it probably pertains more to up and comers and unknowns rather than established champions he had already developed.

Comment

Hearns seemed to like his wars in the gym. Perhaps it's the result of the gym wars which is why Steward has a disdain towards them. Better leave the wars in the prizering.

Comment

Danny Romero almost did no sparring. His dad only did pad training with him and would put something under his shoes for balance(I don't remember what it was)

Comment

Originally posted by STREET CLEANER View Post
                    Danny Romero almost did no sparring. His dad only did pad training with him and would put something under his shoes for balance(I don't remember what it was)
                    That's true. Romero's dad was dead weight for his career past a certain point.

Comment

Muhammad Ali did not do alot of sparring.Most of his sparring sesions he just layed on the ropes.I heard and read about this,but then I saw it with my own eyes.He just layed on the ropes the entire sparring sessions.

Muhammad Ali's big thing was running.He did alot of running compared to sparring.

Comment

Working...
                      X