Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 00's HW division physical state compared to now

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

athletically todays heavyweights are superior.

People hate to admit it because they always believe the past was better. Today's heavyweights are huge

I would almost say it would be very very difficult to become a heavyweight champion without being at least 6'4.

Guys like povetkin should get in shape and fight cruiser

Comment

Today's HW scene is poor though

Wilder is arguably top 5... I think that says it all

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
        This thread died at "Even the fat asses like Breazeale and Ruiz are dangerous opponents with power and toughness."

I call troll.
        Breazeale has an 84% KO rate and an iron chin, he's not dangerous? Name another contender from the 00's like him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
          Can anyone else think of the most physically gifted fighters of the 00's era? I'm talking about prime.

So far all I can really think of is Tony Thompson as the 3rd best "big man" of the 00's.
          Physically gifted guys? In what ways? Peter was a tank but he was about 6'2. Jameel McCline was a big dude. Briggs. Corrie Sanders was a big strong guy, just didn't look like an athlete. Most of the good HW's at that time were about 6'1 to 6'4.

Comment

Originally posted by BigZ44 View Post
            Physically gifted guys? In what ways? Peter was a tank but he was about 6'2. Jameel McCline was a big dude. Briggs. Corrie Sanders was a big strong guy, just didn't look like an athlete. Most of the good HW's at that time were about 6'1 to 6'4.
            Sheer power, agility, reflexes, speed, conditioning. As uncoordinated as Wilder is, he has the reflexes of a much smaller fighter. Compare how these big guys move to the likes of Valuev, Austin, Thompson and you'll see a HUGE difference.

Wilder, AJ, Ortiz are already some of the biggest hitters in the division's history.

McCline was a journeyman drawing with no names, Peter was thoroughly out boxed by James Toney, dropped by McCline 3x, rocked by Maskaev, these are not quality fighters. Briggs also did nothing for 7 years after getting destroyed by Lewis. Sanders is what I'm talking about, a big guy with speed, power, although he was a journeyman.

Comment

Sheer power, agility, reflexes, speed, conditioning. As uncoordinated as Wilder is, he has the reflexes of a much smaller fighter. Compare how these big guys move to the likes of Valuev, Austin, Thompson and you'll see a HUGE difference.

Wilder, AJ, Ortiz are already some of the biggest hitters in the division's history.

McCline was a journeyman drawing with no names, Peter was thoroughly out boxed by James Toney, dropped by McCline 3x, rocked by Maskaev, these are not quality fighters. Briggs also did nothing for 7 years after getting destroyed by Lewis. Sanders is what I'm talking about, a big guy with speed, power, although he was a journeyman.
              You could make a strong argument for both Sanders and Peter being top 5 HWs of the 2000s imo.

Comment

Fury is gonna rule this sorry division

Aj is a chump

Comment

Breazeale has an 84% KO rate and an iron chin, he's not dangerous? Name another contender from the 00's like him.
                  lol I'm done in this thread.

Comment

What's Brazeale's best win? Iron chin? The guy was stopped in his first ever step up and battered around the ring for most of that fight.

A 40 year old Holyfield from the 00s would have beat him with ease. Byrd would have made him look a fool, heck the likes of Briggs and Botha would have hurt him.

Of all the heavies you could have mentioned from 2010 onwards, this is the moobed idiot you pick?

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                      What's Brazeale's best win? Iron chin? The guy was stopped in his first ever step up and battered around the ring for most of that fight.

A 40 year old Holyfield from the 00s would have beat him with ease. Byrd would have made him look a fool, heck the likes of Briggs and Botha would have hurt him.

Of all the heavies you could have mentioned from 2010 onwards, this is the moobed idiot you pick?
                      Breazeale has wins over Ugonoh and Mansour, he'd whoop that old version of Briggs and Botha in the same night.

It took a MASSIVE beating from AJ to stop him, against the 6'5 Ugonoh he also weathered a massive beating.

Seriously, find me another prime 6'5+ guy with an 80% KO ratio from the 00's, I'll wait. The closest you get are guys like Valuev with a 50% KO ratio and he was barely better than Ruiz, Larry Donald, and 45 year old Holyfield lol. The fact that a 40 year old Holyfield was still taking on contenders speaks volumes about how bad the 00's were the same way a 40 year old Tony Thompson was getting title shots against Wlad. I like Holyfield, I even went to his fight against Fres Oquendo in '06 a fight he arguably lost.

Comment

Working...
                      X