Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward Doesn't Know Why He Doesn't Get Credit He Deserves

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cause you living off carl frochs name.

Boxing is a what have you done for me lately sport and you sire havent done shit since really.

Comment

• Ward had plenty of respect a few years ago. Whether his fault or not, he hasn't done much since defeating Dawson. Only a couple more months until all this stuff goes away.

Comment

• As good a fighter Ward is, that's really all he brings to table when you start talking about "Cross Over Appeal" which I kinda think Ward is hinting at. He obviously is respected in the sport by still being in P4P Top 3 while going through a long stretch of inactivity until last Summer.

When you think of guys who became Superstars / Crossover Athletes they had an extra something whether it was KO'ing guys, flashiness, outgoing personality, etc. Ward doesn't have any of those going for him. If he beats Kovalev (which I think he will) I honestly don't think he'll be a bigger name that Sunday unless the fight is a Classic with Ward winning by KO (which I don't see happening).

Comment

• Because you screwed your promoter your fans & yourself out of your boxing prime. Imagine your place in HISTORY if you stayed active after the Super Six.

Comment

• Originally posted by rasdun View Post
            Floyd does not commit to his offense at all. When was the last time Floyd threw 3 or 4 punch combinations in fights with regularity? 10 years ago? Also, when was the last time Floyd got a stoppage (against someone who was looking at him. lol)? 2007!
            Floyd is not a combo puncher but he commits to his counters and body punches. Ward is more compatible to Hopkins but not Floyd.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
              boring doe..... cant sell tickets doe.....

that's what casual fans usually say......

and that's probably what he's talking about.
              Facts.......

Comment

• Originally posted by kelechi12 View Post
                Here we go, the excuses begin. Andre Ward has to beat one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world "convincingly" or its considered "lucky". Are you kidding me right now?
                This is not an excuse, but rather a reality of what the perception will be for either fighter if they do not win convincingly. But more so towards Ward. Let me explain.

Kovalev is the bruiser in this fight. He is the guy to give punishment, right? I'm sure we can all agree on that. He is the aggressive puncher. The ultimate culmination of that style is a knockout. So if a knockout doesn't come, the general perception is that he will look bad. (That was the general perception after his last fight, right?) Kovalev needs to engage and punish Ward and beat him down or out. Or HE will look lucky in a decision win.

Now with Ward, he has the tougher hill to climb as he's having to avoid a hard puncher with major pop and the ability to cut off the ring. What I meant about Ward coming out looking lucky is if he doesn't do what is expected of him. He is expected to basically shutout Kovalev, right? He's the superior, slicker boxer, and is therefore expected to put on a clinic. With that in mind, if the scorecards are anything closer that 8-4 in his favor, it will be seen as a lucky win as he is expected to dominate. At least, that would be the general consensus.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1nonlymre View Post
                  This is not an excuse, but rather a reality of what the perception will be for either fighter if they do not win convincingly. But more so towards Ward. Let me explain.

Kovalev is the bruiser in this fight. He is the guy to give punishment, right? I'm sure we can all agree on that. He is the aggressive puncher. The ultimate culmination of that style is a knockout. So if a knockout doesn't come, the general perception is that he will look bad. (That was the general perception after his last fight, right?) Kovalev needs to engage and punish Ward and beat him down or out. Or HE will look lucky in a decision win.

Now with Ward, he has the tougher hill to climb as he's having to avoid a hard puncher with major pop and the ability to cut off the ring. What I meant about Ward coming out looking lucky is if he doesn't do what is expected of him. He is expected to basically shutout Kovalev, right? He's the superior, slicker boxer, and is therefore expected to put on a clinic. With that in mind, if the scorecards are anything closer that 8-4 in his favor, it will be seen as a lucky win as he is expected to dominate. At least, that would be the general consensus.
                  I understand where your coming from but,did Bernard Hopkins make him look bad? No in matter of fact he made Kovalev look good because he is a skilled boxer and Kovalev outboxed him. I get what your saying, if they dont do what everybody expects them to do their could be some doubt which is true. Just like when he fought Bernard Hopkins,these are two of the best fighters in the sport (no matter how old you say Bernard Hopkins was) and nobody is going to just dominate the other person (at least I dont think so). To say if Ward doesnt dominate this fight its considered "lucky", to me is absurd and even though I dont believe your intentions were wrong saying that, it gives more people reason to take away from Ward if he wins.

Comment

• Originally posted by kelechi12 View Post
                    I understand where your coming from but,did Bernard Hopkins make him look bad? No in matter of fact he made Kovalev look good because he is a skilled boxer and Kovalev outboxed him. I get what your saying, if they dont do what everybody expects them to do their could be some doubt which is true. Just like when he fought Bernard Hopkins,these are two of the best fighters in the sport (no matter how old you say Bernard Hopkins was) and nobody is going to just dominate the other person (at least I dont think so). To say if Ward doesnt dominate this fight its considered "lucky", to me is absurd and even though I dont believe your intentions were wrong saying that, it gives more people reason to take away from Ward if he wins.
                    We're a lot closer in thought than you think. I said what I said before as a general thought to the casual viewer. I personally hope the fight is close, because, at least on 9/14/16, that would likely mean that each fighter faced true adversity and was not able to dominate easily. Then, and only then, will one fighter overcome adversity and truly shine on top. I want to see a good scrap regardless of outcome. I don't want to see a domination on either end. Give me that and I'll walk away happy from this fight. What I posed previous was likely the general thought process someone who is a fan of fighters might pose, as opposed to the thoughts of someone like myself, who is a fan of the sport called boxing. I hold no allegiance to any fighter, only to competitive fights.

Comment

Working...
                    X