Viggo Mortensen says the n-word & is accused on being wacist

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viggo Mortensen says the n-word & is accused on being wacist

https://www.spin.com/2018/11/viggo-m...rd-green-book/

Viggo Mortensen Apologizes for Using N-Word While Promoting Film About Interracial Friendship

Actor Viggo Mortensen has apologized for using the n-word during a Q & A promoting his new film Green Book, a movie set in the Deep South of the ’60s about interracial friendship. The Hollywood Reporter reports that the incident occurred at a panel following a screening in Hollywood on Wednesday night when Mortensen, his co-star Mahershala Ali, and director Peter Farrelly were discussing progress made in race relations since the Jim Crow era.

“For instance, no one says n— anymore,” Mortensen said, according to Dick Schulz, who attended the screening at the Arclight. That evening Schulz tweeted that “the oxygen immediately left the room” following Mortensen’s remark.

“It was all anyone was talking about when we left the theater. I was hearing everybody passing by me going up the stairs going, ‘That was crazy! Why did he say that? You cannot say that!’” Schulz told THR. “And it’s sad because the movie is great.”

Schulz also said Mortensen jumped in and answered a question directed towards another panelist in order to opine about racism.

“Viggo just started talking, and it got away from him quickly,” Schulz said.

Mortensen issued the following statement in response. From THR:

“In making the point that many people casually used the ‘N’ word at the time in which the movie’s story takes place, in 1962, I used the full word. Although my intention was to speak strongly against racism, I have no right to even imagine the hurt that is caused by hearing that word in any context, especially from a white man. I do not use the word in private or in public. I am very sorry that I did use the full word last night, and will not utter it again.”

Mortensen continued, “One of the reasons I accepted the challenge of working on Peter Farrelly’s movie Green Book was to expose ignorance and prejudice in the hope that our movie’s story might help in some way to change people’s views and feelings regarding racial issues. It is a beautiful, profound movie story that I am very proud to be a part of.”

I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself...

Comment

Originally posted by 5burowz View Post
      I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself...
      A bird will fall dead, frozen from a bow before ever feeling sorry for itself.

Comment

He’s racist because he used the ‘n-word’ in a nonracist context? Is the bar set that low for being labeled and considered a racist?

Comment

How is he racist again? I must have missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
            He’s racist because he used the ‘n-word’ in a nonracist context? Is the bar set that low for being labeled and considered a racist?
            Bro, Papa John used it during a TRAINING call in a ROLEPLAY and they outed him... Lmao.

Comment

Saying ******, ******, ******, n199er doesn't make you racist tbh

Comment

it's come to the point where snowflakes are beside themselves at the mere utterance of the word by a white person, no matter what the context. The epitome of white guilt and SJW indoctrination. His unnecessary apology made it even worse.

Comment

Am I getting this right? He said we've made progress and his example was that "No one says n____ anymore."
                  And, he's racist because of THAT??

Stupid? Yea.
                  Racist? There's nothing in what he did that meets that definition. He was just dumb in his choice to use the actual word than "the N word"...

AND, it's ironic that he uses the actual word and he says "no one uses" the word. lol. That's progress for you...
                  Last edited by Redd Foxx; 11-09-2018, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Didn't he just do a film about a black musician that he was driver for in the south during the 60s?

Maybe they said ******/******/****** a lot in that movie. Got kinda use to it.

Comment

Working...
                    X