Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post your list of top 5-10 hardest punches in boxing history (all weight divisions)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for the reply guys
    Originally posted by mayweatherspace View Post
    Hardest punchers in boxing history

My top 5 (personal opinion, I could be way off)

1. George Foreman/Earnie Shavers
    2. George Foreman/Earnie Shavers
    3. Deontay Wilder
    4. Sonny Liston
    5. Mike Tyson
    6. Jack Dempsey
    7. Ken Norton
    8. David Tua
    9. Rocky Marciano
    10. Manny Pacquiao (for his size)

Comment

It's hard to quantify hard punchers unless they're up against solid chins and legit contenders. But here goes.....

Hearns
      J Jackson
      Tua
      Foreman
      Corrales
      M Tyson
      Marciano

Comment

The difference is comparable to a rifle vs a shotgun. I’ve watched Foreman and Shavers train up close and there is no doubt in my mind that Foreman punched much harder. Being able to ko an opponent however entails many more variables than just pure power. Shavers blows were sharper and tended to be more direct. Foreman put everything he had behind each blow. More swinging for the fences type blows. Foreman hitting the heavy bag was one of the more scary moments in my history of watching fights and fighters. 300 pound heavy bag and he played with it with punches you could hear all over the gym. Truly frightning power.
        Legends456 Legends456 likes this.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned Wilder and Marciano are the only two with the kinematic chains in their game to deliver optimal power. Hence the Avatar and sig. Foreman is my third.

I like Foreman, Frazier, Shavers just fine. I brag on them being from Dixie all the time. I just don't see the same kind of consistent linking out of those guys as I do Wilder and Marciano. If Foreman boxed more like Marciano he'd definitely hit harder, but he didn't box like Marciano so I think it's disputable.

I know as boxing fans we put far too much into weight and should look a little bit more into physics. Just some basics in kinesiology would do everyone a world of good.

I mean, how scientific do you really believe " Power is something you are born with " is? Sweet science doesn't even try to answer the question where does power come from. Physics does....you know...actual science.

I make prosthetics for a living, I'm a qualified kinesiologist. I just can't see 'power' like most boxing fans do. It frustrates me that fans believe power is something you're born with, it frustrates me so much emphasis is put on mass it's like boxing fans have never heard of e=mc2 or Newtonian Laws, and everyone uses power when they mean energy. Power is more specific than what you guys tend to be talking about when you speak to power. What you're talking about is energy.

I don't mind explaining myself at all and doing a full list of ten if you want to read a radically different explanation for power but I don't think you want to hear it because I don't believe some of the basic things most fans agree when it comes to power.

Comment

- -Deyonce only KOing short notice TBAs and needing the refs assistance to survive a 40 yr old fighter on blood pressure meds notorious for the side effect of impotency is a nonstarter in any alltime great power punchers.

But this is a democracy where every loon has the right to vote, so here he is.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
              As far as I'm concerned Wilder and Marciano are the only two with the kinematic chains in their game to deliver optimal power. Hence the Avatar and sig. Foreman is my third.

I like Foreman, Frazier, Shavers just fine. I brag on them being from Dixie all the time. I just don't see the same kind of consistent linking out of those guys as I do Wilder and Marciano. If Foreman boxed more like Marciano he'd definitely hit harder, but he didn't box like Marciano so I think it's disputable.

I know as boxing fans we put far too much into weight and should look a little bit more into physics. Just some basics in kinesiology would do everyone a world of good.

I mean, how scientific do you really believe " Power is something you are born with " is? Sweet science doesn't even try to answer the question where does power come from. Physics does....you know...actual science.

I make prosthetics for a living, I'm a qualified kinesiologist. I just can't see 'power' like most boxing fans do. It frustrates me that fans believe power is something you're born with, it frustrates me so much emphasis is put on mass it's like boxing fans have never heard of e=mc2 or Newtonian Laws, and everyone uses power when they mean energy. Power is more specific than what you guys tend to be talking about when you speak to power. What you're talking about is energy.

I don't mind explaining myself at all and doing a full list of ten if you want to read a radically different explanation for power but I don't think you want to hear it because I don't believe some of the basic things most fans agree when it comes to power.
              This post makes sense.Most people could not begin to tell you the difference between energy and power. George probably had the most energy on his shots, and maybe the most power, too.

Comment

- -Well, when that big ol' Apple fell out of the tree to bonk Newton into some silly sense...Eureka!!!

BTW, Newton used to train and engaged in bouts as a young man and quite proud of his prowess.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                  This post makes sense.Most people could not begin to tell you the difference between energy and power. George probably had the most energy on his shots, and maybe the most power, too.
                  Thanks bud.

I can't disagree about George. I'd say it's debatable but George's body of work makes a damn strong case and I might be persuaded to give him all three, energy, force, and power any given day or mood.

I'd say energy, power, and force are rather easy for any longtime boxing fan to discern if they had their mind tuned for it.

Not to preach to the choir, but for the benefit of 3rd party readers:

A stumble, a "rocked", a knock down, and of course a knock out are all evidence of energy. Energy is what shuts off lights so to speak.

Force is equally easy to see. When a fighter moves another fighter with a blow that's a forceful blow. A forceful blow does not necessarily have a lot of energy. A good example of this is a jab that snaps the opponent's neck back but does not interfere with their cognition in anyway.

Power is evident when the reaction is quick. So if we look back to energy and look at the combination of the two for a punch to plainly carry both power and energy it needs to shut down motor functions and shut them down quickly. Body blows show the difference pretty blatantly. Those midsection blows that drop a man the moment they touch, powerful and energetic. Those blows that land and then the fella winces a moment later and drops, plenty of energy but lacks power.

A forceful punch with loads of power moves the opponent quickly, the snapping jab I spoke about before has force and power.

A snapping jab that rocks a man is a powerful jab, a forceful jab, and an energetic jab.

Edit- Damn'me, meant to bring George back into at the end and forgot.

Anyone who says George didn't drop men justs didn't watch George. Anyone who says George didn't move, or hurt men the moment he got a good hand on them just did not watch enough Foreman. Clearly one of if not the heaviest handed son of a ***** to ever lace up.

Comment

George Foreman

Earnie Shavers

Mike Tyson

Julian Jackson

Gerald McClellan

Thomas Hearns

Manny Pacquiao

Naseem Hamed

Wilfredo Gomez

Comment

Working...