Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo-GGG: Not a Smashing Success on PPV; Not a Bust, Either

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nycsmooth View Post
    I watch the free at a sports bar I wouldn't have paid $0.05 for any ppv
    Bars have to pay way more than the regular price to be able to show ppv's. They have to shell out hundreds or even thousands depending on the capacity.

Comment

All this tells me is that vast majority of people have no idea what they're talking about. A failure would be ~400-600k PPVs, and even that wouldn't be a commercial failure per se.

Comment

Originally posted by MexicanStyle#1 View Post
        comical how the writer of this article in a subliminal manner arranges Mayweather as the top PPV star... People who know, will see that it takes two to tango.... You put Canelo in there with the likes of Mcgrero, Pacquiao, Dela Hoya, Cotto, You get the same numbers probably even more... too bad for canelo he is in a era where there are no opponents with mainstream recognition like the previous generation...
        wrong. You'll get good numbers but definitely not better numbers. Mayweather vs cotto did 1.5 mil while cotto vs canelo did 900k. Mayweather is the biggest ppv selling fighter in history. Canelo is the top active selling fighter but he'll never generate the full cross over appeal mayweather had in part for the undefeated mystique and controversial personality. As far name recognition, mayweather was doing close to a mil with guys like maidana and guerrero who never headlined any ppvs as well as the big names you mentioned.

Comment

Youd have to be a real shmuck to think that this fight wasn't a huge success. Even of it was 1.3 mill at 80 dollars a pop that is one of the highest grossing ppv's ever. Not to mention it had the third highest gate for any fight ever, then you have to add the bars and other places all over.the country that shell out big bucks to show the fight, then international t.v. right which im sure is in the millions considering Canelo is a huge star in Mexico. Then of course the big sponsorships like Corona. When you add it all up I wouldnt be suprised if this was in the top 5 of the biggest fights ever in terms of overall revenue generated, and certainly it has to be in the top 10

Comment

Originally posted by rrayvez View Post
            wrong. You'll get good numbers but definitely not better numbers. Mayweather vs cotto did 1.5 mil while cotto vs canelo did 900k. Mayweather is the biggest ppv selling fighter in history. Canelo is the top active selling fighter but he'll never generate the full cross over appeal mayweather had in part for the undefeated mystique and controversial personality. As far name recognition, mayweather was doing close to a mil with guys like maidana and guerrero who never headlined any ppvs as well as the big names you mentioned.
            Then how come the fight had the third highest gate ever if he doesn't have full cross over appeal? It was a sellout unlike mayweather Mcgregor. Also Mayweather isn't as popular worldwide as Alvarez or even Pacquiao. I read awhile back that Pacquiao made 7 million every fight for the phillipines t.v. rights alone, and im sure Alvarez gets big money for Mexican t.v.

Comment

No matter how many ppv's ggg still got flucked on decision

Okay oscar lied about the ppv numbers but ggg still got screwed on that horrible decision. Turd bryd had the fix on and was obviously paid off. No tv's in mexico.

Comment

good numbers, good job

Comment

Originally posted by jjsmyth87 View Post
                  Then how come the fight had the third highest gate ever if he doesn't have full cross over appeal? It was a sellout unlike mayweather Mcgregor. Also Mayweather isn't as popular worldwide as Alvarez or even Pacquiao. I read awhile back that Pacquiao made 7 million every fight for the phillipines t.v. rights alone, and im sure Alvarez gets big money for Mexican t.v.
                  he has cross over appeal but I don't think that it's the level of mayweather who reached the point of being a household name. Mayweather took years to reach that point by doing things like wrestle mania, dancing with the stars and other things that seemed stupid at the time, but paid off for him. With Canelo not speaking English, it's going to be difficult for him to generate the same type of buzz that mayweather created. The same way Trinidad was a successful ppv star but not in comparison to Oscar.

Comment

Originally posted by rrayvez View Post
                    he has cross over appeal but I don't think that it's the level of mayweather who reached the point of being a household name. Mayweather took years to reach that point by doing things like wrestle mania, dancing with the stars and other things that seemed stupid at the time, but paid off for him. With Canelo not speaking English, it's going to be difficult for him to generate the same type of buzz that mayweather created. The same way Trinidad was a successful ppv star but not in comparison to Oscar.
                    I see your point but Mayweathers popularity had a lot to do with him fighting Mexican fighters or fighters who had a large Mexican fanbase. He became a ppv star once he beat de la hoya and most of the guys he fought since had a large Mexican fanbase. Andre Berto fight only sold like 400k ppv's. Alvarez has the mexican fanbase which will keep him at the top as long as he keeps winning. Chavez Jr. Is a certified bum but Canelo was still able to pull in over a millie fighting him because of the mexican fanbase. Your right in that hes not quite as big of a star as mayweather because he had the black fanbase and also Mexicans would tune in hoping to see him lose. But just go to any bar in a Mexican town like El Paso and see how many people are packed in to watch a Canelo fight

Comment

Originally posted by jjsmyth87 View Post
                      I see your point but Mayweathers popularity had a lot to do with him fighting Mexican fighters or fighters who had a large Mexican fanbase. He became a ppv star once he beat de la hoya and most of the guys he fought since had a large Mexican fanbase. Andre Berto fight only sold like 400k ppv's. Alvarez has the mexican fanbase which will keep him at the top as long as he keeps winning. Chavez Jr. Is a certified bum but Canelo was still able to pull in over a millie fighting him because of the mexican fanbase. Your right in that hes not quite as big of a star as mayweather because he had the black fanbase and also Mexicans would tune in hoping to see him lose. But just go to any bar in a Mexican town like El Paso and see how many people are packed in to watch a Canelo fight
                      yeah, he's definitely a star and depending on how a rematch with ggg goes, it can either enhance or hurt his status. With mayweather, I actually think his fight with pac hurt his status which is why nobody cared to see his fight with berto a few months later. Berto had been ko'd by Soto karass not too long before that so anyone would've pulled in **** numbers vs him though.

Comment

Working...
                      X