Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Are the Black Democrats That Won't Discuss Inner City Murders?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
    Travestny TKO1 over 1bad65

Wasn't even close
    He's just deflecting from the main topic and leaning on being upset about the Congressional Black Congress not clapping for Trump claiming to be the reason for lower black unemployment which is not only false, but clapping for Trump would have been stupid when they were protesting because of Trumps statements about "shlthole countries."

Why would they clap for him when many of them feel strongly about representing the people who have came from those countries to America?

Perhaps the president should have come out and apologized right then and there. And that wasn't even the only protest going on there! It's just that the media wanted to pan in on the CBC as soon as a black issue was mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by travestyny View Post
      Wouldn't these things be obvious? Here is a 125 page pamphlet from the CBC about black familes.

https://cbc.house.gov/uploadedfiles/...to_lose_v5.pdf
      I didn't see anything about lack of fathers, family structure, etc.

If I missed it, please direct me to it.

Should I go and look up each individual member to see if they've ever talked about children being born out of wedlock or cleaning up their communities.
      If that's what it takes to cite some examples, please do it.

I'm still waiting on those.

So then what is it exactly that you are asking them to do?
      Propose solutions.

Solutions not just about gun control.

You're moving the discussion in circles. Please try and move it forward.

Comment

I don't know, and I'm not sure what the point of this is? Do you want to read what the letter says about this? Here:
        I asked if they introduce school choice legislation.

I don't see what your problem with this is, or why it's even deflected to by you. I thought my OP was very specific and clear.
        Don't say I'm deflecting because you can't keep up.

I told you, one hand they say they want school choice, but yet they caucus with the Party fighting tooth and nail against school choice.

Can you please address that?

Comment

Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
          Travestny TKO1 over 1bad65

Wasn't even close
          We don't need a cheerleader.

And this isn't a contest.

If you have something relevant to contribute to the discussion, please do.

If you're just here to cheerlead about some stupid e-contest, please just keep such nonsense to yourself.

Comment

Betsy DeVos is an outspoken proponent for school choice.

Yet the 2 CBC members of the Senate (Booker and Harris) both voted 'No' on her nomination to Education Secretary.

Can you explain why the CBC can say they are for school choice, yet vote against an education secretary advocating school choice?

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
              Betsy DeVos is an outspoken proponent for school choice.

Yet the 2 CBC members of the Senate (Booker and Harris) both voted 'No' on her nomination to Education Secretary.

Can you explain why the CBC can say they are for school choice, yet vote against an education secretary advocating school choice?
              1. What does the OP have to do with school choice?

2. Yes I can explain why they voted against the secretary. Because they didn't believe she was the right person for the job. Isn't that obvious....or am I missing something???

Comment

I asked if they introduce school choice legislation.

Don't say I'm deflecting because you can't keep up.

I told you, one hand they say they want school choice, but yet they caucus with the Party fighting tooth and nail against school choice.

Can you please address that?
                I just gave you their statement on school choice, which I'm not even sure why we're talking about. Do you need to read it again?

Maybe if Trump would have invited them in for that meeting sooner, and then not reneged on promises he made when they finally did meet, we would be able to hear the resolution on school choice.

Are we done with this deflection?

Comment

He's just deflecting from the main topic and leaning on being upset about the Congressional Black Congress not clapping for Trump claiming to be the reason for lower black unemployment which is not only false, but clapping for Trump would have been stupid when they were protesting because of Trumps statements about "shlthole countries."

Why would they clap for him when many of them feel strongly about representing the people who have came from those countries to America?

Perhaps the president should have come out and apologized right then and there. And that wasn't even the only protest going on there! It's just that the media wanted to pan in on the CBC as soon as a black issue was mentioned.
                  The only people who kept on saying “****hole countries” were the Leftists and the Liberal Media.

And those people who represent other people from those countries, why are they here? If said countries are so great why do they require so much financial and humanitarian aid, and why so many people flee from there?

Again, back to the comment... How many libtards kept on throwing that comment around? Why was it allowed to be replayed on the news over and over, when so many more important things are censored? None of them really argued against it, either... just kept on repeating it.

Comment

I didn't see anything about lack of fathers, family structure, etc.

If I missed it, please direct me to it.

If that's what it takes to cite some examples, please do it.

I'm still waiting on those.

Propose solutions.

Solutions not just about gun control.

You're moving the discussion in circles. Please try and move it forward.

You really are pushing this black families thing, huh? You were so sure no one has mentioned this shlt, right?

You should stop pulling shlt out of your ass. Hope that you enjoy the speech.

Congressional Black Caucus: The Missing Black Male
                    Floor Speech
                    By: Sheila Jackson Lee
                    Date: June 15, 2015

BREAK IN TRANSCRIPT

Let me thank the manager of this hour, Mr. Payne, and all of my colleagues and my chairman, who has just spoken and who set the tone very eloquently and with deep conviction.

In his having served on the supreme court for the State of North Carolina, Mr. Butterfield understands the issues of justice, and I applaud him for taking this cause up as well. The gentlewoman from New Jersey and the gentleman from Louisiana, let me thank them as well for the words that they will say.

Let me also say that this is a team and that we will work as a team on our respective committees to be able to bring this issue to a productive solution.

I have always said--as a member of the Committee on the Judiciary for a number of years now, serving on the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, and Investigations--that we must breathe life into change, and as legislators we must come to a point where we bring legislation for final signature by the President of the United States of America. So I thank Mr. Payne for giving us this opportunity.

Let me rush quickly through my remarks because one could be here for a very long time. As I do so, let me take note that this is the 150th year commemoration of the 13th Amendment; that is the freeing of individuals from slavery. It is the 150th year also of the commemoration of Juneteenth, and that is, of course, a regional holiday that the Nation celebrates, which is the acknowledgment that the slaves were freed pursuant to the Emancipation Proclamation issued in 1863. Texans, who will celebrate this on June 19th, and many others travel throughout the Nation Juneteenth. I say that because it is a question of freedom. When we have the ability, Mr. Payne, to save lives, that is a question of freedom.

I want to thank The New York Times for writing about this research. I want to hold this up. ``Rise in Suicide By Black Children Surprises Researchers.'' Researchers did not come predisposed to get this answer, but they got this answer. The opening sentence says: ``The suicide rate among Black children has nearly doubled since the early 1990s.'' They did not expect this to come forward, but it contributes to the story in The New York Times: about 1.5 million men are missing. In New York almost 120,000 Black men between ages 25 and 54, missing from everyday life; Chicago, 45,000; and more than 30,000 are missing in Philadelphia. Across the South, from North Charleston, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and up into Ferguson, hundreds of thousands more are missing.

African American men have long been more likely to be locked up, more likely to die young. A city with at least 10,000 Black residents that has the single largest population of missing men? Ferguson, Missouri, where a fatal police shooting catapulted this question to the national attention.

Incarceration and early deaths are overwhelming. Of the 1.5 million missing men from 25 to 54, which demographers call the prime-age years, higher imprisonment rates account for almost 600,000. Let me say that again: higher imprisonment rates account for 600,000. Almost 1 in 12 Black men in this age group are behind bars, compared with 1 in 60 non-Black men in the same age group.

Whenever we talk about the shootings in South Carolina, Ohio, Ferguson, I hear people saying, what about Black-on-Black crime? As if we, as African Americans, run away from facts. We do not. But we recognize that the fight to preserve lives in the African American community is societal and holistic. It deals with education and job opportunities and health care and mental health care, and it calls upon the Nation to respond. But it does not put aside what we have faced over the years by killings of Black men, even from the time of slavery and Reconstruction into the 1900s, all through the time of segregation. We found that they were in the eye of the storm.

So let's not distract or detour from the crisis of incarceration and the crisis of what happens in the African American community in the justice system by suggesting that any of us are ignoring Black-on-Black crime. I am glad that the Congressional Black Caucus wants to look at the holistic issue of how do you solve this problem. It does not take the attacking of the Black community, of ignoring the fact that crime is perpetrated there. I think everyone knows that perpetrating crime impacts your neighbors, impacts where you live, just as it does in incidents dealing with White crime or White-on-White crime or Hispanic or Asian. People usually engage with those who are familiar.

So I am looking to work with this very august body to talk about how we can stop the tide of suicide and the incarceration of our young people. Let me cite these examples as I come to a close. Let me just give you the example of Kelvin Mikhail Smallwood-Jones, who was a dean's list student with a 4.0 grade point average on a full academic scholarship to one of the most respected historically Black colleges in the country. Prior to enrolling in Atlanta's Morehouse College in the fall of 2006, he was a football star and homecoming king at his Washington, D.C.-area high school. An English sop****re, he dabbled in photography, mentoring at-risk youth in his free time. Last winter he was planning an elaborate birthday celebration, and he was preparing to accept a prestigious summer internship. He never made it to either. On February 23, 2008, less than 2 weeks before his 20th birthday, Kelvin shot himself in the head with his mother's gun on the deck of a suburban Atlanta farmhouse that she bought to live closer to him.

This very statement is hurting, is hurting the family, but it means that we must collectively come together to address the question of the pain, of the disparate treatment, the disparate treatment in education, and to get to the source of Mr. Smallwood-Jones' pain so that we can, in fact, find a solution.

On the criminal justice--and I realize that criminal justice is not the answer to all, but it is a side parallel effort that we must correct in order to give dignity to those who may have detoured but yet do not need to be condemned for life. I intend to introduce a number of legislative initiatives besides those which are ongoing, as we are discussing the mandatory minimums, to focus on the criminal justice side of dealing with juveniles: an effective speedy trial, bail reform, and a solitary confinement safeguards for juveniles act. Most people don't realize that when these young men are incarcerated, rather than giving them an opportunity, rather than promoting the PROMISE Act of our colleague, Mr. Scott, and giving alternatives to incarceration, but more importantly to people's lives, we throw them in jail. Many of us know the tragic story of the 16-year-old who was in solitary confinement for 3 years, was ultimately released, and committed suicide.

So we look forward to our colleagues joining in this legislation, an effective, speedy trial, bail reform, and solitary confinement safeguards for juveniles act of 2015, to alter the holding of juveniles so that they come out whole and ready to be rehabilitated and to be welcomed into society. The Nonviolent Offenders Act, which will diminish the amount of time that African American men serve in a Federal prison system that does not have parole. And then we want to introduce the RAISE Act to establish a better path for young offenders to ensure that there is a way for judges, even though juveniles are treated differently, to give an alternative assessment in giving them or sentencing them when they run afoul of the law.

Mind you, they are in juvenile court for status offenses, for truancy and others. This young man was incarcerated for taking a knapsack, and he insisted he did not take it. That is why he was still there. He did not take it, but he couldn't get to trial. How horrible a life, 3 years of solitary confinement.

So, Mr. Payne, let me thank you for leading forward on this august day and time, this year of commemorating the 150th year of the 13th Amendment, when we were declared free, meaning the ancestors' African American slaves. It should be a telling moment that this is also the 50th year of the commemoration of the 1965 Voting Rights Act. This should be the year that we restore the voting rights to individuals who have detoured. We should restore section 5. We should preach freedom. We should encourage those who want to advocate for fixing the criminal justice system, which can incarcerate and enslave and as well deny freedom.

This is a time that we can join together in the Congressional Black Caucus and free people in the right way and put them on a pathway of contributing to this great country. They are worthy, and they have the talent, the stardom to contribute. I look forward to working with all of you for that journey and for those results.

Mr. Speaker, I am pleased to join my colleagues of the Congressional Black Caucus in this Special Order to speak to the issues that Members of the 114th Congress must address.

I thank my colleagues Congressman DONALD M. PAYNE, Jr. and Congresswoman ROBIN L. KELLY for leading this evening's Congressional Black Caucus Special Order on ``The Missing Black Male''.

We are in a time where the news of young black men being incarcerated and losing their lives is all too common.

As highlighted in a recent NY Times article, 1.5 million black men are missing from everyday life, as a result of incarceration or early death.

In New York, almost 120,000 black men between the ages of 25 and 54 are missing from everyday life. In Chicago, 45,000 are, and more than 30,000 are missing in Philadelphia. Across the South--from North Charleston, S.C., through Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi and up into Ferguson, Mo.--hundreds of thousands more are missing.

African-American men have long been more likely to be locked up and more likely to die young, but the scale of the combined toll is jolting.

It is a measure of the deep disparities that continue to afflict black men--disparities being debated after a recent spate of killings by the police--and the gender gap is itself a further cause of social ills, leaving many communities without enough men to be fathers and husbands.

And what is the city with at least 10,000 black residents that has the single largest proportion of missing black men? Ferguson, Mo., where a fatal police shooting last year led to nationwide protests and a Justice Department investigation that found widespread discrimination against black residents.

It is critical that we look to training that will lead to cohesive policing in areas of minority concentrations.

We need to focus on improving relationships between law enforcement and communities most impacted by cases of police brutality and incarceration.

Incarceration and early deaths are the overwhelming drivers of the gap.

Of the 1.5 million missing black men from 25 to 54--which demographers call the prime-age years--higher imprisonment rates account for almost 600,000.

Almost 1 in 12 black men in this age group are behind bars, compared with 1 in 60 nonblack men in the age group, 1 in 200 black women and 1 in 500 nonblack women.

Higher mortality is the other main cause.

Homicide, the leading cause of death for young African-American men, plays a large role, and they also die from heart disease, respiratory disease and accidents more often than other demographic groups, including black women.

We also are seeing a shocking and troubling increase in suicide rates amongst our young black youth.

Also noted by the NY Times, the suicide rate among black children has nearly doubled since the early 1990s.

Between 1993 and 1997 suicide was the 14th cause of death among black children.

Between 2008 and 2012, suicide was the 9th leading cause of death among black children.

In 2005, when suicide was the 3rd leading cause of death among African-American youth--1621 of the 1,992 suicides completed by African-Americans were black boys (371 of 1,992 were female).

Thus, looking specifically to our young black men with this growing trend of suicide rates, we must highlight the fact that black males are six times more likely to commit suicide than their female counterparts.

Increase in Black male suicides is not surprising considering the ``unique social and environmental stressors, including racism,'' they have to deal with.

Interestingly, just 4 percent of the nation's psychiatrists, 3 percent of the psychologists and 7 percent of social worker are black.

The mental health profession needs to become more culturally sensitive to the needs of our black youth and get out the message that it's OK to get help and be vulnerable.

Noticeably, girls get depressed and gravitate toward friends, family, church or other social institutions while through social conditioning.

Yet, black males are taught to tough it out, stand strong, to get a grip, and ultimately isolate when mental anguish becomes visible.

As we saw with the recent and tragic case of Kalief Browder in New York--his plight was ignored and overlooked for far too long.

Continued statistics and reports documenting the death and disappearance of our young black males is unacceptable and must be addressed.

We know that the disappearance of these men has far-reaching implications.

We know there is a correlation between the mass incarceration and the destruction of the black home.

The absence of black men disrupts family formation and foundation building for our young people.

This in turn results in vulnerable feelings of little or no self-value or self-worth and lacking direction or foresight on ways to overcome dangerous ways of thinking and living.

We need to give special attention to families and communities affected by incarceration and mental health problems--as we know many of our young black men are afflicted with abuse, trauma and unresolved stigmas of mental and emotional health.

It is time to acknowledge the cracks in our foundation and treat our young with the attention they deserve.

We can no longer ignore gapping deficits that exist for our young black males--namely, in education, health care, mental health services, and general opportunities for growth and success.

This special order is an opportunity to highlight and raise awareness to the stark and tragic reality of young black males in America.

Now is the time to change the course and save their lives.

BREAK IN TRANSCRIPT
                    https://votesmart.org/public-stateme...e#.WofCCxNuY0o

Comment

Then there's this:

Now it's your turn. Tell me which congressman/woman have been afraid to speak out about inner city violence.

You can write that congressman a letter and I'll work to get you some signatures. What do you think?

Let's work together to fix this problem. But first, you should identify the targets. Who are they?
                      It's not that they aren't willing to speak out about it, but WHAT and WHY they speak out. Oh, they will speak about often, and loudly. But they don't want to talk about the real causes, and viable solutions.

Essentially, the violence is not black people's fault - it's a history of white racism that caused it, and White people should have to use their tax dollars to fix black communities.

Moreover, the police blame-game, and the gun blame-game.

they simply refuse to identify black culture and the thug-ethos that is predominate therein, as the issues. They also blame incarceration as well.

It goes something like this: White racism is the root cause of all the violence. White cops who police black communities are racist and only cause more violence. White-run prison systems who incarcerate blacks ruin black families and communities. Ban guns..
                      Last edited by Cheek busting; 02-17-2018, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X