• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    I don't even know what this means.
    That's because you are dumb.

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    But Hearns was no where near prime at that point.
    Liar.

Comment

Originally posted by Danar View Post
      That's because you are dumb.

Liar.
      Well yes I am struggling because you say "one of your own" suggesting that he's black and american (I am neither) but that doesn't make sense because Barkley is both black and american.

But yes I am the dumb one

Comment

He was a good fighter but one dimisional ,fights with Toney and Duran comes to mind,very durable and tough.

His famouse wins over Hearns was result of his style being difficult for Hearns

Comment

I was trying to think of a way for me to verbalize precisely what I think of Iran Barkley. I think what is special about him is that street fighters usually do not remain so and make a relatively smooth transition as boxers... quite the contrary.

If you take guys like Duran, who grew up on the streets, they generally decided at some point that using technique and learning how to fight through method would get them ahead of the game in a way that just storming the ring would not. With Barkley it seems to me that he was a street fighter even in the ring. Its like he never decided to succumb to technical goals, and to work on methods, preferences instead being to go in the ring and make it a street fight. Its kind of amazing that he had any success doing that but he kind of did lol! As Dan says though not as a great fighter really.

you don't see too many guys who really abide by that creed and get anywhere... You also hear endless tales of guys who were bad a ss and learned that it did not translate. Todd Herring is a great example. A writer who grew up with Herring in Houston described him as a monster, the last guy you wanted to scrap with...yet as a professional fighter he was mediocre at best. The late KImo Slice was really lacking as well, despite his will of iron and ability to pour it on.

Thats really what I find somewhat intriguing about Barkley...not that he was a great talent lol.
          Last edited by billeau2; 12-05-2017, 02:30 PM.

Comment

He was a dangerous man to fight!
            Ask anyone he fought if they thought he was "average".
            There are folks here who only know how to read a record listing and even then they have no clue of era and time span as to past prime and novice beginnings.

Twelve of the nineteen looses were above 160 most at heavyweight to pick up the pennies.

Tough kid and a game guy.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              He was a dangerous man to fight!
              Ask anyone he fought if they thought he was "average".
              There are folks here who only know how to read a record listing and even then they have no clue of era and time span as to past prime and novice beginnings.

Twelve of the nineteen looses were above 160 most at heavyweight to pick up the pennies.

Tough kid and a game guy.

Ray
              He definitely fought past it, as you say to "pick up the pennies"... They still call him champ in the hood!

He was a bad a ss in the South Bronx when it was cited as perhaps the most dangerous neighborhood in the country...and rumor has it his sister was even tougher than he was!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
                Sumbu Kalambay gives him very high praise among all the amazing fighters he faced:
                https://www.ring tv.com/515439-best-...mbu-kalambay//

I'll state again that his skillset was very much underrated due to the talent of guys he had to fight...
                I think many would say that Jerman Taylor and Sergio Martinez, lineal MW champions of recent years, were more skillfull - but I don't see it that way. It's all about who you get in the ring with, what you get to show and what the other guys can expose.

I think Barkley stops both prime Sergio and Taylor by the way... Put Pavlik in front of him and he'd look like second coming of Ray Robinson too.
                Taylor was imo overrated considerably. Again, my opinion here: Hopkins beat him twice and convincingly, and if that was recorded we don't have this conversation because Iran was a lot better than Taylor.

Martinez also was overated. people like ambush fighters for some reason: Haye also got a lot of props... Martinez would be hunted down especially in a true 15 round fight where the aggressor has the last three rounds to make things right so to speak.

Pavlik at prime is more interesting. Kelley had some chops and could generate some power. This would be a good match up.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                  He does not make the top anything.
                  What about some

?

Comment

Roberto Duran and Iran "The Blade" Barkley. When men were men.

Tommy Hearns and The Blade.

What are you little chocha's talking bout?
                    Last edited by TJ highway; 12-19-2017, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X