Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

seth mitchell could be fighting chauncey welliver and not michael grant next.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seth mitchell could be fighting chauncey welliver and not michael grant next.

http://www.********boxing.com/news.php?p=32020&more=1 By James Slater: It looks like we can cross off the name Michael Grant with regards to who will be the next opponent for unbeaten, exciting heavyweight contender Seth Mitchell. “Big” was the man Oscar De La Hoya recently mentioned as being near the top of the list as far as next opponent candidates go, yet the word now is it could well be Chauncy Welliver who lands the next date with Mitchell.

According to ******.com, Mitchell, 25-0-1(19) will likely return on July 7th, on the under-card of the planned Amir Khan return (itself still to be finalised, but with WBC 140-pound champ Danny Garcia being the likely opponent).

Welliver is well known to ESB readers, having been a guest on the On The Ropes radio show a number of times. Having bounced back from his 2008 stoppage loss to Odlanier Solis (who, by the way, makes his own ring return this weekend, against Konstantin Airich), the 29-year-old “Hillyard Hammer” has lost a good deal of weight and punched out a straight 18 wins. Boxing in New Zealand and in the U.S, the 6’2” approx 235-pounder has kept himself very active.

Craving a big fight (Welliver didn’t want to fight Bert Cooper last time out, a fight he received a fair amount of criticism for), the Mitchell fight now looks to be his. A win would really shake up Mitchell and his lofty plans, and Welliver would amazingly be in a position to be able to call for a title shot of some kind (he already holds the WBC Continental Americas strap).

Team-Mitchell will possibly look at Welliver, 53-5-5(20) as a relatively “safe” opponent, noting his general lack of punching power. But Welliver is a tough guy, a determined guy and he is a hungry guy. If Mitchell were to bang out a stoppage, particularly an early one, he will have done well.

Maybe, however, Mitchell and his handlers feel he needs rounds as he continues his development into a genuine world title challenger. Stopped just once as he has been (by Solis, in the 9th-round of a competitive fight), Welliver could be the man to provide “Mayhem,” as Mitchell is known, with those rounds.

You can bet your life Welliver is working hard in the gym right now, hoping that he will indeed get this big opportunity handed to him.

i've been waiting for welliver to finally get another crack at a legit heavyweight. both these guys are trying to climb the ladder. mitchell has GBP backing him along with HBO while welliver has been unable to secure a big fight with a name opponent. he lost to solis weighing 290lbs but is now 235. he has tried to get a rematch with solis & has called out several HW's to fight. he has 18 wins in a row vs D & C level fighters. he has several regional titles. 2 in the WBC & 2 in the WBO. this is a good matchup & we can finally see if welliver is the real deal. make this fight happen.

Comment

Forget moving Mitchell along on a path to a championship, he's not that good right now, but he's honest in there..... just match him in fights that will be exciting for the next 2-3 and see what happens. Help promote matchups between the "other" side of the division and if someone beats him, then hey now you have someone else to bring back on HBO possibly. working his way up to someone like Arreola is much more attainable goal

Comment

Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas View Post
        Forget moving Mitchell along on a path to a championship, he's not that good right now, but he's honest in there..... just match him in fights that will be exciting for the next 2-3 and see what happens. Help promote matchups between the "other" side of the division and if someone beats him, then hey now you have someone else to bring back on HBO possibly. working his way up to someone like Arreola is much more attainable goal
        do you not like the welliver matchup?

Comment

I think Welliver is a safer lower risk fight than Michael Grant. I haven't seen many of Welliver's fights but on paper he looks a mediocre journeyman. At 53-5-5 (20 KOs), his record tells me that he's not a tremendous puncher and he doesn't (at least to me) look like he has a signature win against a decent opponent. But in any case, I like this fight for Mitchell. He's still in the development stage and a good win against a solid journeyman like Welliver is only a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
            I think Welliver is a safer lower risk fight than Michael Grant. I haven't seen many of Welliver's fights but on paper he looks a mediocre journeyman. At 53-5-5 (20 KOs), his record tells me that he's not a tremendous puncher and he doesn't (at least to me) look like he has a signature win against a decent opponent. But in any case, I like this fight for Mitchell. He's still in the development stage and a good win against a solid journeyman like Welliver is only a good thing.
            He is really fat and sloppy Mitchell wins but he is a bum 2.

Comment

Originally posted by MARKBNLV View Post
              He is really fat and sloppy Mitchell wins but he is a bum 2.
              How can you say "Mitchell's a bum?" He comes into his fights in shape, has a good attitude and has been winning fights in impressive fashion. Also in his last fight he showed that he can recover after being hurt and that he can take a punch or two. I don't think Mitchell is world class (yet) but he's making a case for being ranked a top 10 or 20 hw contender..

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                How can you say "Mitchell's a bum?" He comes into his fights in shape, has a good attitude and has been winning fights in impressive fashion. Also in his last fight he showed that he can recover after being hurt and that he can take a punch or two. I don't think Mitchell is world class (yet) but he's making a case for being ranked a top 10 or 20 hw contender..
                mitchell is one to watch & i agree he learned a valuable lesson vs chazz. if that was arreola, mitchell doesn't see the 2nd round. he has lots of good traits. he can recover when hurt, he is intelligent(he knew to hold on when hurt)& a quick learner, he throws to the body & throws power combinations. he looks like a finisher too. he is not a bum but chauncy welliver has dropped 60 lbs but he is really flabby & soft. he can take a punch & can actually go 12 rounds. he's a like john mcdermott but with a better chin & surprisingly good stamina. mitchell should have little trouble but welliver has 3 or 4 regional titles & has been going rounds & getting experience. he travels abroad so he can adapt in any continent. i just don't know much about him.

Comment

Great match up for Mitchell. A step up in class. I was thinking about this match up a few weeks ago and now this happens.

Welliver should take Mitchell into the late rounds. Remember Welliver hasn't lost since 2008 which is the same year Mitchell turned pro.

Comment

Seth Mitchell is a work in process. I know a lot of folks are hyped cause the US finally has some hope in the Heavyweight division but its going to be a couple years before he's a legit contender. They're moving him along at the right pace.

Comment

Working...
                    X