Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hamed vs Marquez was once considered

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lad's,we've already been through this one.Marquez received a career high purse at the time and turned it down.It's all good.Prince Naz had that effect on Mexican fighters.Morales never wanted none,and it took Barrera long enough to sign the contract.

If there ever was a Mexican capable of defeating Hamed,I've yet to see that man on film.The traditional Mexican style is simply tailor-made for Naz.

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
      A young Marquez would literally humiliate Hamed worse than Barrera did.

Marquez would probably end his career and would stop him late in the fight.

Thank god Hamed ducked him (according to Hamed own trainer)
      Show me where Hamed's own trainer said he ducked him?

Steward said he advised Hamed to not fight Marquez, where does that say Hamed ducked him?

The Hamed - Marquez fight was in the process of being made untill Marquez lost to Norwood. A ATG he certainly is now but remember at that time, Marquez was a nobody compared to the superstar that was Prince Naseem Hamed.

Juan Manuel Marquez conceded Friday that he turned down a fight with Prince Naseem Hamed, the World Boxing Organization featherweight champion. "I had been waiting two years," said Marquez, speaking through a translator. "Now they want the fight. I wasn't prepared. They did not give me sufficient time to get prepared."

"Hamed is difficult to fight. Hamed is like a wrestler," Marquez said. "He will toss you around if he can. It is almost the same way with fighting (Freddie) Norwood. You have to knock him out to get the victory."

Marquez said he would like to fight Hamed as the champion of one of the other sanctioning bodies. Otherwise, Marquez said, fighting Hamed "is not on even terms."

Nacho Beristain, Marquez's manager, criticized the Hamed camp's negotiating tactics. "They want to get us when all of our energies are gone (from negotiating)," Beristain said. "They are only playing with our heads. We never want to fight (Hamed). Who do they think they are? They came out with an offer of $400,000. It is not worth it."

$400,000 would have been a career high pay for JMM at the time, and by a country mile.

My personal opinion is neither fighter ducked each other...it was just one of those that didn't happen, for loads of different reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Jones Jnr View Post
        My personal opinion is neither fighter ducked each other...it was just one of those that didn't happen, for loads of different reasons.
        I think this is a very good observation.

Comment

Originally posted by prinzemanspopa View Post
          Lad's,we've already been through this one.Marquez received a career high purse at the time and turned it down.It's all good.Prince Naz had that effect on Mexican fighters.Morales never wanted none,and it took Barrera long enough to sign the contract.

If there ever was a Mexican capable of defeating Hamed,I've yet to see that man on film.The traditional Mexican style is simply tailor-made for Naz.
          So you missed when Barrera beat him? And JMM does not fight the traditional mexican style. JMM is a more complete fighter than Hamed ever was.

Comment

Originally posted by jtcs1981 View Post
            So you missed when Barrera beat him? And JMM does not fight the traditional mexican style. JMM is a more complete fighter than Hamed ever was.
            Very true, Hamed did a lot of things wrong. He stood with his hands down, lunged with punches, moved back in straight lines, end up off balance after throwing. He was so damn good with just his natural ability that if he did fix the wrongs he would have been one of the greats.

Comment

Comment

Lads,I'm aware of this Mexican fella.The point is,Barrera,on that particular night,was not a Mexican.He was a cautious,conservative,almost timid little fella that boxed like a man that lived in absolute fear of the other.And that's perfectly ok,because there was nothing in the rules that suggested that he couldn't box in that manner.But he certainly didn't not represent his birth nation on that night with such a style.

It was a dull,boring encounter with not many clear rounds.I had it even at the end,but I certainly didn't protest the decision when they gave it to Marco.Naz was essentially fighting in the other guy's back garden,and anything less than a knockout/stoppage meant his first loss.

I've seen Marquez hit with some left hands in my time,and this is more than enough evidence for me to conclude that Marquez wouldn't have lasted more than three rounds with Naz.I respect Juan Manuel as the fine boxer and gentleman that he is,but it's just a bad match-up for him.The Prince's entrance to the ring would most likely last longer.
                Last edited by prinzemanspopa; 08-06-2012, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Lads,I'm aware of this Mexican fella.The point is,Barrera,on that particular night,was not a Mexican.He was a cautious,conservative,almost timid little fella that boxed like a man that lived in absolute fear of the other.And that's perfectly ok,because there was nothing in the rules that suggested that he couldn't box in that manner.But he certainly didn't not represent his birth nation on that night with such a style.

It was a dull,boring encounter with not many clear rounds.I had it even at the end,but I certainly didn't protest the decision when they gave it to Marco.Naz was essentially fighting in the other guy's back garden,and anything less than a knockout/stoppage meant his first loss.

I've seen Marquez hit with some left hands in my time,and this is more than enough evidence for me to conclude that Marquez wouldn't have lasted more than three rounds with Naz.I respect Juan Manuel as the fine boxer and gentleman that he is,but it's just a bad match-up for him.The Prince's entrance to the ring would most likely last longer.
                  He lasted 36 against Pacman but wont last 3 against Hamed? Wow.

Comment

Comment

Great match-up! I'd just like to point out that Marco Antonio Barrera and Juan Manuel Marquez are two different fighters, and just because Barrera dominated Hamed it doesn't necessarily mean that Marquez would too.

I honestly think that Hamed would be a nightmare of an opponent for a counter-puncher like Marquez due to his unorthodox movement, accuracy and punching power. The reason why Barrera was so effective against Hamed was mainly because of how fired up he was for it. Marco wanted to teach Hamed a lesson and fought like a man possessed, applying the pressure and throwing lots of punches, in effect he didn't give Hamed enough time or space to do his thing and it cost Naz the fight. Naz had no answers for a prime, pissed-off Barrera who fought the fight of his life, and the performance by Naz himself was kind of flat.

Marquez is a completely different ball game, he is a counter-puncher with a style a world away from Barrera's aggressive volume punching. If you look at when Naz was the most successful throughout his career it was against the opponents who took too much time to try and "work him out". They would stand off him and look for an opening, giving Naz the time and room to steam in with a power punch out of nowhere, usually putting them on the canvas. Naz was never that comfortable with fighters who crowded him, look at when Kevin Kelly had him down, it was always when he went on the all out attack. After he felt Naz's power he stood off him and got knocked out for his troubles. Upon reflection, Barrera was possibly the worst possible match up for Hamed at the time.

Marquez would approach this fight very cautiously, he would be wary of Naz's power and as the natural counter-puncher would wait for the openings to try and do his best work. The first few rounds would be a chess match, with both fighters popping out the odd jab to try and work the other out a bit. Naz would be sticking out his head as a target, trying to goad Marquez into fighting more aggressively than he should do, don't forget that Naz is a bit of a counter-puncher himself. Naz would apply the pressure, trying to pot shot a backing up Marquez, who responds by throwing his counters that miss the target by centimetres. Marquez becomes more aggressive in the middle rounds after his counter-punching style isn't working on the slippery Hamed. Naz goes down from a Marquez straight right, only to get straight back up with a grin on his face. Marquez then chases the KO and ends up on the deck himself after walking onto a huge uppercut thrown from an awkward angle, Marquez too makes it to his feet and is largely unhurt. Marquez retreats back into his counter punching role after the knockdown and fails to capitalize on the many openings Naz presents while he pounds Juan against the ropes. Naz sweeps rounds 6-9. Marquez's corner tell him he needs to win the last few rounds to be sure of a win before round 10, the two fighters treat the fans to a great last few rounds, both fighters go down again after trading punches for much of the last few rounds of the fight.

The first 4 rounds were pick-em's, Naz takes the middle rounds and the judges give Marquez the last two rounds for the cleaner punching in the brawl.

Naz wins by a SD, two judges have him a few rounds up while the other has Marquez winning by a single round.

Comment

Working...
                      X