Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wlad Klitschko=the only HW Champ who reigned for 7 years without being knocked down!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wlad Klitschko=the only HW Champ who reigned for 7 years without being knocked down!!

Everybody says "Wlad has a glass jaw". At least that's what I read a few minutes ago again. Well, he hasn't been knocked down in 7 years (2005 against Sam Peter). And during those 7 years he held pretty much all the heavyweight titles in the world. And now tell me which other heavyweight champion in the history of boxing was holding heavyweight titles for 7 years (unbeaten during that time span) without being knocked down?
    The only 3 that come to my mind MIGHT BE Joe Louis and Larry Holmes and Jack Johnson. Then I remembered Holmes being knocked down by Renaldo Snipes in 1981 and Earnie Shavers in 1979, and then Holmes lost the title against Michael Spinks in 1985 and lost the rematch as well. (not to mention his questionable wins over Witherspoon and Carl "The Truth" Williams)
    So: Larry Holmes doesn't have a 7 year streak during his title reign in which he was never knocked down.

Jack Johnson got knocked down by Stanley Ketchel during his reign, so he also doesn't have 7 years as a reigning HW Champ without being knocked down. (and let's not forget good ol' Jack Johnson drew the color line once he became Champ so he wouldn't have to face the likes of Sam Langford, Joe Jeannette....).
    Last but not least we have Joe Louis: He reigned from 1937-1948, but was knocked down by Tony Galento in 1939, then he was knocked down by Buddy Baer in 1941 (if I remember right he was knocked through the ropes and had to climb back into the ring), then he was knocked down by Jersey Joe Walcott multiple times in 1947.
    So Joe Louis also doesn't have a 7 year streak without being knocked down while he held the title.

That being said: There is only 1 Heavyweight Champ in the history of boxing who reigned for a 7 year span without being knocked down/losing a fight: Wladimir Klitschko.

Explain who he has fought in those 7 years with any real note.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi Vader View Post
      Explain who he has fought in those 7 years with any real note.
      he fought damn good fighters like Haye, Chagaev, Ibragimov, Byrd...
      actually in my opinion better fighters then most of the bums Joe Louis fought during his long reign.

Comment

Originally posted by Truthspeaker View Post
        actually in my opinion better fighters then most of the bums Joe Louis fought during his long reign.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi Vader View Post
          most of the bums Joe Louis fought were a disgrace and had more than 10 losses (without having a lot of fights overall). Whether you "laugh" about the truth of not, doesn't matter to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Internet Police
            Holmes 7 year reign consisted of 20 title defenses. Wlad has only had HALF as many title defense in almost the same time span.

Your argument is invalid.
            Actually (with tomorrow's fight against Mormeck included), Wlad has 13 fights during those 7 years (starting with the Sam Peter fight). This thread is about "Which HW Champ ruled the longest time span without being knocked down" and about nothing else. If you wanna really argue the way you do, I can go there too: what about Holmes' MORE THAN questionable decisions against Witherspoon and Carl Williams during his title reign? And now tell me a questionable decision in Wlad's career or during those 7 years?
            See?
            Last edited by Truthspeaker; 03-02-2012, 08:44 AM.

Comment

btw I am thinking about adding this information to wikipedia.

Comment

Good post.

Don't forget Calvin Brock, who was also a decent fighter.

Comment

The only guy who seemed to have a slight chance against Wlad in that time frame was David Haye, and he didn't perform.

Wlad is a top, top fighter, but this is pretty irrelevant

Comment

Everybody says "Wlad has a glass jaw". At least that's what I read a few minutes ago again. Well, he hasn't been knocked down in 7 years (2005 against Sam Peter). And during those 7 years he held pretty much all the heavyweight titles in the world. And now tell me which other heavyweight champion in the history of boxing was holding heavyweight titles for 7 years (unbeaten during that time span) without being knocked down?
                    The only 3 that come to my mind MIGHT BE Joe Louis and Larry Holmes and Jack Johnson. Then I remembered Holmes being knocked down by Renaldo Snipes in 1981 and Earnie Shavers in 1979, and then Holmes lost the title against Michael Spinks in 1985 and lost the rematch as well. (not to mention his questionable wins over Witherspoon and Carl "The Truth" Williams)
                    So: Larry Holmes doesn't have a 7 year streak during his title reign in which he was never knocked down.

Jack Johnson got knocked down by Stanley Ketchel during his reign, so he also doesn't have 7 years as a reigning HW Champ without being knocked down. (and let's not forget good ol' Jack Johnson drew the color line once he became Champ so he wouldn't have to face the likes of Sam Langford, Joe Jeannette....).
                    Last but not least we have Joe Louis: He reigned from 1937-1948, but was knocked down by Tony Galento in 1939, then he was knocked down by Buddy Baer in 1941 (if I remember right he was knocked through the ropes and had to climb back into the ring), then he was knocked down by Jersey Joe Walcott multiple times in 1947.
                    So Joe Louis also doesn't have a 7 year streak without being knocked down while he held the title.

That being said: There is only 1 Heavyweight Champ in the history of boxing who reigned for a 7 year span without being knocked down/losing a fight: Wladimir Klitschko.
                    Who else carried such physical advantages? Because we can agree Wlad is a very good boxer with imposing size.

Not the same... These kinds of arguments hold no merit.

Comment

Working...
                    X