Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Democratic Senators will hold hearings on why Men's sports pay more than Women's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    I don't think it is more nuanced & complex then the NBA vs WNBA situation.

Its just a bigger sphere we are dealing with. The NBA & WNBA are making a large % of their money in the US. Mens & Womens soccer have their money being spread out all over the globe. The US is just one marketplace among the hundred other countries who watch soccer.

And being dominant is irrelevant. You don't get paid more for winning necessarily. Again look at boxing. There are plenty of boring fighters or just not exciting fighters who keep winning, but who make less money than guys who've gotten a following &/or are exciting who might drop a decision here or there. Its a asses in seats & eyes glued to the screen thing regardless if you win or lose. And you are shortselling the perimeter by making it about whats happening in the US vs whats happening in the world.

I'm all for fair pay to anyone & everyone regardless of whatever, but when you are in the entertainment industry, as all sports are, you are dancing for your dinner at all times & you can & should only get what you generate. And mens soccer generates 40x-50x the revenue of what womens soccer generates.
    Well said.......

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
      I haven't logged onto Twitter, that was the big challenge. I've been bored and been wanting to debate, so I came back.
      NO BS was in that 30 day rule. You broke it. My fiending for poker has been decreasing too. You should see more of me o here.

Comment

Originally posted by Level37scythe View Post
        I'm all for equal pay, but in sports, paying equally is just not possible. People prefer men's sports over women's sports, therefore there will be more money available to men. You can't ask the nba and wnba to pay both men and women something like 500k veteran minimum when the nba is a billion dollar franchise and the wnba is not. However, if women aren't being paid the same percentage of the pot in their respective sports as men, that is a problem which should be remedied.
        How can you be for equal pay... and then say in spots its not possible? LMAO this is out of control.

CAPITALISM man... MERITOCRACY. The dude behind the counter at CVS? He gets paid what he's worth.

The dude working on Wall St? Same thing.

This country is going nuts.

Comment

This is like asking why Amazon can pay its warehouse workers more than Sam Druckers General Store pays its stock boy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lomadeaux View Post
            How can you be for equal pay... and then say in spots its not possible? LMAO this is out of control.

CAPITALISM man... MERITOCRACY. The dude behind the counter at CVS? He gets paid what he's worth.

The dude working on Wall St? Same thing.

This country is going nuts.
            Originally posted by GGG Gloveking View Post
            This is like asking why Amazon can pay its warehouse workers more than Sam Druckers General Store pays its stock boy.
            The resident feminists are just being argumentative.

Comment

the WNBA loses money each year. the NBA owns it and keeps it around because it's good to get girls and women watching and playing basketball, and getting their kids to play basketball.

again, the WNBA loses money each year. let that sink in. the NBA is hugely profitable. it's by the grace of NBA owners / players that the WNBA still exists and is still on TV

this is just a talking point for democratic senators who are looking to get reelected or make a run for the presidency. all you have to do is look into the books and see that these women have no leg to stand on because they don't turn a profit.

Comment

Might as well pay minor leaguer's big league pay.

Women sports are the minor leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Harper View Post
                  Might as well pay minor leaguer's big league pay.

Women sports are the minor leagues.
                  Well, maybe the women don't play as good because they're not getting paid as much. Why play like LeBron when you're getting a fraction of the pay?

Comment

Originally posted by GGG Gloveking View Post
                    Well, maybe the women don't play as good because they're not getting paid as much. Why play like LeBron when you're getting a fraction of the pay?

That incentive pay.....I'm going out and buying a whatshername soccer jersey to show my support.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                      I realize that there are nuanced economic factors that play a role in the salaries, but the reason why there is such an outcry is that the US Women's team is so dominant, so popular (in the USA) and have been much more successful than the Men's team. It certainly appears as though they are putting out a much better product than the Men's team, yet they are compensated less. I get why people are upset.

The Women's vs the Men's US soccer teams is much more nuanced and complex situation than the NBA vs WNBA where the comparison is cut 'n dry.
                      By your logic, Rigondeaux should be paid more for a fight than Pacquiao, since he's more popular in the USA (especially the Latino communities) and a more dominant and technical fighter, better win-loss record, and win percentage. So are you for Rigondeaux getting equal or more pay as Pacquiao? After all, they both do the same job and Rigondeaux is much better at his job than Pacquiao.

Comment

Working...
                      X