Collapse
No announcement yet.

My top 10 greatest fighters in the history of boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ali, leonard, floyd, pac, duran that’s my top five loooool (not in any order) black & white don’t mean ish to me.

Comment

Originally posted by apollocreed View Post
      Even if DLH got the nod v Trinidad, which he has himself to blame for not doing, I still would no way have him near ATG status.
      Amongst the best of the 90’s, that’s it. He beat a lot of guys who were at the end of their careers like Chavez.
      You still didn’t say which Moseley fight was supposedly the robbery, i’m guessing it’s the second one, i’ll watch it but I read that was a fair result.
      That ATG tag seems to be at a fans whim and not so much about a fighters resume. If a guy is a fan of a style, that fan may not be in a rush to HONESTY judge their guys resume.

Some fans will even follow the herd and give that ATG tag to guys they never saw fight because THERE IS LITTLE TO NO FOOTAGE !!!!

I'm referring to the 1st fight and, iirc, the 2nd fight could have gone either way.

Originally posted by Blond Beast View Post
      Well put. Refreshing. People posting like there’s an actual consensus on anything in boxing. Everyone swears they know how sum mythical matchup would go down but they can’t get today’s fights right. I have more respect for someone putting down modern fighters than someone pretending they know exactly how good any of the real old timey fighters are. It’s not like most people on here can name more than Lamotta on Rays record. U can talk bout Willy Grebb but u can’t say who he beat or who the people he beat actually beat to be considered good opponents. What about Tom Cribb? I just want to back u up on ur post.
      Thanks

I figured if a fight fan is going to be so bold as to slam someone's personal list, that slammer should have the decency to post of their own, expert certified list.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Harper View Post
        That ATG tag seems to be at a fans whim and not so much about a fighters resume. If a guy is a fan of a style, that fan may not be in a rush to HONESTY judge their guys resume.

Some fans will even follow the herd and give that ATG tag to guys they never saw fight because THERE IS LITTLE TO NO FOOTAGE !!!!

I'm referring to the 1st fight and, iirc, the 2nd fight could have gone either way.

Thanks

I figured if a fight fan is going to be so bold as to slam someone's personal list, that slammer should have the decency to post of their own, expert certified list.
        I did say already that I was thinking about it and couldn’t narrow it down to 10. Maybe 20.
        You haven’t posted a list either though. If the lists are top 10 favourites, that’s cool, it’s totally subjective.
        But I was getting the impression the lists are supposed to be top 10 GOATS, in which case I was voicing my opposition to Hearns being chosen above Leonard, and Oscar being an ATG. I stand by those points. Oscar was good, but not that good.

Comment

Originally posted by apollocreed View Post
          I did say already that I was thinking about it and couldn’t narrow it down to 10. Maybe 20.
          You haven’t posted a list either though. If the lists are top 10 favourites, that’s cool, it’s totally subjective.
          But I was getting the impression the lists are supposed to be top 10 GOATS, in which case I was voicing my opposition to Hearns being chosen above Leonard, and Oscar being an ATG. I stand by those points. Oscar was good, but not that good.
          I'm not a fan of lists, for reasons shown in this thread

When I first saw DLH, I thought he was gonna be a gimmick. A pretty boy trying to prove he's more than a latin heartthrob by beating up a bunch of cans.

DLH was a serious dude. Where he's placed on a list is not important to me.

Comment

My list would probably be nearly as ****ty.

I would have to do a top boxers 1980 and later list.

Ive been watching boxing for 20 years since 1999. I kind of have a feel for the 80s. I have a feel for the heavyweights from the Ali era and up (1960s). I dont know the earlier eras well enough to accurately judge them.

I could tell you Carlos Monzon was highly regarded for example but I havent watched any of his fights, Ive seen the fab 4 fights though and later 90s era fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Harper View Post

Thanks

Yeah that crap annoys me, even more when famous people do it like Burt Sugar. That guy talked up endlessly the earlier eras and even tried to dress like hes out of the 1930s. He was old but not THAT old, he was born in 1936, that puts him at 20 in 1956 but he talks about Dempsy endlessly like he was there, when all his knowledge comes from the same video clips and news articles everyone else has.

It would be like me walking around in a 1980s getup talking endlessly about the 60s and 70s boxing era and how much better they were than today.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonBoxing View Post
                My top 10 greatest fighters in the history of boxing

Did a lot of research and watching youtube highlights. This is my top 10 greatest.

1-Sugar Ray Robinson
                2-Muhammad Ali

3-Mike Tyson
                4-Floyd Mayweather Jr
                5-Manny Pacquiao
                6-Oscar De La Hoya
                7-Roy Jones Jr
                8-Bernard Hopkins
                9-Vitali Klitschko
                10-Lennox Lewis
                I would subscribe for the #1 and #2...

... the rest is much more a "personal" view as about "the history of boxing" ...

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
                  Yeah that crap annoys me, even more when famous people do it like Burt Sugar. That guy talked up endlessly the earlier eras and even tried to dress like hes out of the 1930s. He was old but not THAT old, he was born in 1936, that puts him at 20 in 1956 but he talks about Dempsy endlessly like he was there, when all his knowledge comes from the same video clips and news articles everyone else has.

It would be like me walking around in a 1980s getup talking endlessly about the 60s and 70s boxing era and how much better they were than today.
                  The stories those reporters told way back when

Easy to seduce gullible fight fans

Comment

Originally posted by Longhaul View Post
                    You obviously don’t know your history.
                    Agreed........

Comment

Originally posted by Longhaul View Post
                      You obviously don’t know your history.
                      - -His list, not yours that you didn't post.

Comment

Working...
                      X