Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Wilder Manager: Maybe This is Hearn's Way of Killing April Too?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cameltoe View Post
    Here we go again- you Wilder fans just can’t let it go. Literally contradicted yourself in the same post.

“Only a complete fool would sign the contract Hearn sent”

Yet according to you, AJ should have jumped up and signed their $50 million pie in the sky contract quick smart, even though it had no details AT ALL and allowed Wilder’s team to control the whole event!
    Wrong again. Wilder sent a detailed term sheet which included far more detail than the Hearn's proposed contract, which didn't even include a date or venue.

Wilder's team did NOT control the event. Judges had to be neutral, ref had to be neutral, AJ got top billing, AJ got champion's privileges, AJ controlled 50% of all the seats in the venue...all set forth in detail. Hearn's contact didn't even specify the date or venue for the fight, let alone things like neutral judges and officials or control of tickets.

Comment

• I definitely think Wilder would've respected him saying that. AJ has sort of circled the wagons with it in the past saying how far he is already with not many fights under him, and that they're going to do what's right for them in the current moment. I read between the lines there. I like AJ and Hearn, and Wilder is growing on me because he wants to fight. I'm sure a big part of Wilder DOES want AJ before he can have another fight to further develop. But some honesty would be great; I guess this more of a business than about fighting now.
      Originally posted by davefromvancouv View Post
      So frustrating...it didn't have to go this way...

Imagine what would have happened if Joshua had said
      he needed one more tune up before the Wilder fight. He would have been praised for being upfront with the boxing community and the haters would have been ignored. Wilder would have been disappointed, but he probably would have respected Joshua's honesty and may even have agreed to a co-promotion, maybe even agreeing to fight Whyte. More people would have tuned in to assess the Povetkin fight, with an added bonus of the Wilder-Whyte fight. The Povetkin fight wouldn't have felt like such a let down, and the Wilder undisputed fight would have been welcomed for April...

Comment

• Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
        But his comment was in response to Team Wilder claiming the fight was worth 100 million in the US. Team Joshua didn't believe the claim. To call Team Wilder's bluff, AJ said if it really does 100 million, prove it by giving me 50 million and I'll sign tomorrow.
        That's simply not true. You're talking to someone who actually pays attention. Wilder and his manager both said they wouldn't accept 12.5 million for a 100 million dollar fight. 12.5 million was the offer that Eddie Hearn presented to have the fight happen at Wembley Stadium in the UK. They said 12.5 was a lowball offer to fight in the UK. It had nothing to do with the U.S.

Comment

• Originally posted by peplz View Post
          That's simply not true. You're talking to someone who actually pays attention. Wilder and his manager both said they wouldn't accept 12.5 million for a 100 million dollar fight. 12.5 million was the offer that Eddie Hearn presented to have the fight happen at Wembley Stadium in the UK. They said 12.5 was a lowball offer to fight in the UK. It had nothing to do with the U.S.
          Wilder and his manager both said they wouldn't accept 12.5 million for a 100 million dollar fight because the numbers they produced to Hearn's side estimated it was a 100 million dollar fight if held in the US.

Neither side ever claimed it was a 100 million dollar fight in the UK.

Hearn claimed it was a 40 million dollar fight in the UK and 45-50 million dollar fight in the US. Wilder's team claimed it was a 100 million dollar fight in the US, and AJ's team took the position there was no way the fight was worth double in the US compared to the UK.

That is what AJ's 50 million demand was in response to.

Comment

Wilder and his manager both said they wouldn't accept 12.5 million for a 100 million dollar fight because the numbers they produced to Hearn's side estimated it was a 100 million dollar fight if held in the US.

Neither side ever claimed it was a 100 million dollar fight in the UK.

Hearn claimed it was a 40 million dollar fight in the UK and 45-50 million dollar fight in the US. Wilder's team claimed it was a 100 million dollar fight in the US, and AJ's team took the position there was no way the fight was worth double in the US compared to the UK.

That is what AJ's 50 million demand was in response to.
            But the offer they rejected was 12.5 million for a fight that would take place in the UK. They turned down the 12.5 million stating that it was a lowball offer all while claiming that Wilder would have no problem coming to the UK. He just wouldn't do it for 12.5 million dollars. Were they saying that 12.5 million was a lowball offer even for a fight that would make 40 million in the UK or was Wilder never truly willing to fight in the UK? No matter which way you answer the question its going to expose some hypocrisy on Wilder and Co.'s part. Because we know that 12.5 million is not a low ball offer for a fight that would only make 40 million. And Wilder claims that he would fight Joshua anywhere. So Wilder needs to choose a position and stick to it. Because the more he talks the more he contradicts himself.

Comment

But the offer they rejected was 12.5 million for a fight that would take place in the UK. They turned down the 12.5 million stating that it was a lowball offer all while claiming that Wilder would have no problem coming to the UK.
              Fighters typically want to go where the money is. Never before in boxing history has a fighter been willing to give up so much money to fight at home. So AJ's willingness to fight at home for 15-20 million less than he'd make in the US makes negotiations very complicated. There's no precedent for it in boxing history.

After the 12.5 million offer, Wilder's side was trying to bring the fight to the US because of how much more they believed it was worth in the US. They never refused to go to the UK, they simply were trying to prove Hearn was undervaluing the US. Hearn, in order to keep the fight in the UK, was insisting the US was only worth a little more, and that AJ, as the A-side, should get home court because the difference wasn't large enough to justify otherwise.

But Wilder's side kept pushing and coming up with numbers that were double or more of what Hearn said the fight would do in the UK. All of this pretext is critical to understanding AJ's 50 million request. It was his way of calling the bluff of the Wilder side. You say the fight is worth 100 over there? Prove it. Bring me 50.

They proved it. So it's been squirming from AJ fans ever since.

Now, separate from that, Wilder's side also believed Hearn was undervaluing the fight in the UK. Which is why they said, if you won't come to the US for 50 million, we'll come to the UK for 40% of the pot. That is when Hearn increased his offer to 15 million, which he claimed was 37.5%.

If Hearn changed his offer from 15 million to 37.5%, Wilder's side might actually take it. They'd definitely take 40%. But they believe 15 million is closer to 30% and they're not going to take a smaller split than Parker.

Comment

Fighters typically want to go where the money is. Never before in boxing history has a fighter been willing to give up so much money to fight at home. So AJ's willingness to fight at home for 15-20 million less than he'd make in the US makes negotiations very complicated. There's no precedent for it in boxing history.

After the 12.5 million offer, Wilder's side was trying to bring the fight to the US because of how much more they believed it was worth in the US. They never refused to go to the UK, they simply were trying to prove Hearn was undervaluing the US. Hearn, in order to keep the fight in the UK, was insisting the US was only worth a little more, and that AJ, as the A-side, should get home court because the difference wasn't large enough to justify otherwise.

But Wilder's side kept pushing and coming up with numbers that were double or more of what Hearn said the fight would do in the UK. All of this pretext is critical to understanding AJ's 50 million request. It was his way of calling the bluff of the Wilder side. You say the fight is worth 100 over there? Prove it. Bring me 50.

They proved it. So it's been squirming from AJ fans ever since.

Now, separate from that, Wilder's side also believed Hearn was undervaluing the fight in the UK. Which is why they said, if you won't come to the US for 50 million, we'll come to the UK for 40% of the pot. That is when Hearn increased his offer to 15 million, which he claimed was 37.5%.

If Hearn changed his offer from 15 million to 37.5%, Wilder's side might actually take it. They'd definitely take 40%. But they believe 15 million is closer to 30% and they're not going to take a smaller split than Parker.
                All of what you have said here makes it sound like it's Wilder's position that the fight is worth so much more money in the U.S. that it should give him the leverage to either decide where the fight takes place or that he should take 40% of the pot if the fight happens in the UK. With Wilder's economic standing in the sport in comparison to Joshua's his bold demands seem to be what's making it complicated. And the notion that he would be taking less than Parker is just plain false and childish to try use as a bargaining chip.

Comment

All of what you have said here makes it sound like it's Wilder's position that the fight is worth so much more money in the U.S. that it should give him the leverage to either decide where the fight takes place or that he should take 40% of the pot if the fight happens in the UK. With Wilder's economic standing in the sport in comparison to Joshua's his bold demands seem to be what's making it complicated. And the notion that he would be taking less than Parker is just plain false and childish to try use as a bargaining chip.
                  Wilder is far more popular than Parker and has a far more valuable belt. If Parker got 33%, it'd be crazy for Wilder to take less than that.

Typically megafights go where the money is. AJ is refusing to do that. Which is his right, but Wilder should be compensated for the fact that BOTH fighters are making so much less if the fight takes place in the UK.

15 flat is insulting for a fight that would generate 100 million in the US. If the fight is going to be in the UK, it's reasonable for Wilder to want 40%.

Comment

Wilder is far more popular than Parker and has a far more valuable belt. If Parker got 33%, it'd be crazy for Wilder to take less than that.

Typically megafights go where the money is. AJ is refusing to do that. Which is his right, but Wilder should be compensated for the fact that BOTH fighters are making so much less if the fight takes place in the UK.

15 flat is insulting for a fight that would generate 100 million in the US. If the fight is going to be in the UK, it's reasonable for Wilder to want 40%.
                    Its reasonable for Wilder to WANT the whole pie. But its not realistic. Wilder wants to go from making 3 million to making 30 million all in one fight. Wilder is probably more popular than Parker. I'm not sure what metric proves that though. Wilder has definitely gotten more popular as he has used these so called negotiations and piggybacked Joshua's popularity to promote himself. Should Anthony Joshua be compensated for that? I bet not because that just comes with the territory of being the A-side fighter. Wilder doesn't seem to be willing to accept some of the things that come with the territory of being the B-side fighter. Manny Pacquiao had a lot more real leverage than Wilder does when he pulled a similar stunt with Mayweather. And Parker got paid 7 million dollars to fight Joshua from what I've read. They're offering Wilder 15 million. That's twice the amount of money, never mind the percentage. Its convenient to focus on the percentage instead of the amount when you are trying to get more. He doesn't care about the fact that he would make a lot of money. He cares about the fact that Joshua would be making a lot more. Is that some form of a psychological edge or what? Because if Wilder were to become the undisputed champion he gets the lion's share of every purse there after.

And you can say big fights typically go where the money is, but you can also say A-side fighters always call the shots. You can also say negotiations are typically done behind closed doors and not through the media. You can also say that Al Haymon typically handles negotiations for Deontay Wilder not Shelly Finkel. You csn also say that you don't cancel a meeting if you want to make a deal...etc. There are a few norms being broken here and most of them are being broken by Wilder and Co.

Comment

• Originally posted by Travycat View Post
                      I definitely think Wilder would've respected him saying that. AJ has sort of circled the wagons with it in the past saying how far he is already with not many fights under him, and that they're going to do what's right for them in the current moment. I read between the lines there. I like AJ and Hearn, and Wilder is growing on me because he wants to fight. I'm sure a big part of Wilder DOES want AJ before he can have another fight to further develop. But some honesty would be great; I guess this more of a business than about fighting now.
                      More of a business and development plan now, rather than attempting to be the true champion of the division.

Hopefully Hearn and Joshua present a more reasonable percentage based contract when Joshua is actually ready to fight Wilder. The flat fee was only accepted if the fight was next.

Until then, any flat fee offer will be ignored and I'm sure Joshua will continue to be a local attraction, regardless of who he fights.

Comment

Working...
                      X