No announcement yet.

Which light heavy era was strongest

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which light heavy era was strongest

The 40's and 80's era's spring to mind. Does anyone have any opinion of this subject?

Originally posted by uncle ben View Post
    The 40's and 80's era's spring to mind. Does anyone have any opinion of this subject?
    I'm a bit biased so I lean towards the 80s with late 70s to early 80s.. Victor Galindez, Yaqui Lopez, Eddie Mustafa Muhammad, Michael Spinks, Dwight Muhammad Qawi, Matthew Saad Muhammad and Marvin Johnson and John Conteh and Mike Rossman and brothers Johnny and Eddie Davis and James Scott and Jerry Martin.

To be honest, the current crop is really strong - Stevenson, Jack, Beterbiev, Gvozdyk, Kovalev, Alvarez...the strongest that I've remembered in years.

Comment

Dennis Andries vs Jeff Harding was one of the best LH fights I've seen...so I'm trending the late 80's.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle ben View Post
        Definitely the late 70s and early 80s. The 40s wasn't especially strong. There was a point in the mid 90s where the top 10 was very strong and I agree with OctoberRed that the current crop is also strong. Think how much stronger the light-heavyweight division would have been in the past 30 years if they never invented the super-middleweight and cruiserweight divisions?

Comment

Late 70's - mid-80's was stacked. The late 40's - 50's had Archie Moore, Harold Johnson, Ezzard Charles, Bob Satterfield, Joey Maxim, Jimmy Bivins, Lloyd Marshall. Id say those two eras were most rich with talent and competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
            Late 70's - mid-80's was stacked. The late 40's - 50's had Archie Moore, Harold Johnson, Ezzard Charles, Bob Satterfield, Joey Maxim, Jimmy Bivins, Lloyd Marshall. Id say those two eras were most rich with talent and competitive.
            Yeah these were the era's I were thinking of

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
              Those fighters don't all overlap at light-heavyweight. I mean Bivins was not a light-heavyweight by the conventions of the day for most of the 1940s. By the time Maxim and Johnson are considered top light heavies Ezzard Charles is no longer considered a light-heavy but a heavyweight and Marshall is largely finished as a top light-heavy. So the depth at 175 at any given time in the late 40s and early 50s is not as strong as I often read people claim.

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post
                Those fighters don't all overlap at light-heavyweight. I mean Bivins was not a light-heavyweight by the conventions of the day for most of the 1940s. By the time Maxim and Johnson are considered top light heavies Ezzard Charles is no longer considered a light-heavy but a heavyweight and Marshall is largely finished as a top light-heavy. So the depth at 175 at any given time in the late 40s and early 50s is not as strong as I often read people claim.
                That is why I include late 40’s to late 50’s. Back then fighters often teetered between MW and HW to earn paychecks. But, at 175, each of them was at the top of their profession and likely rule any era of LHWs, especially Moore, Johnson and Charles.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                  To be honest, the current crop is really strong - Stevenson, Jack, Beterbiev, Gvozdyk, Kovalev, Alvarez...the strongest that I've remembered in years.
                  I agree... a lot of talent in the division right now! And I would add Bivol to those you have already mentioned.

Comment

Light heavyweights are known for slabs of chest.

Comment

Working...
                    X