Madison Square Garden, New York, NY

http://boxrec.com/en/event/15973

The Main Event:

Cassius Clay
    (21yrs, 17-0, 14KO's, 202 1/2lbs)

vs

Doug Jones
    (26yrs, 21-3-1, 13KO's, 188lbs)

The opening bell rings around the 6:30 minute mark.

Feel free to copy/paste the scorecard below to score the fight rbr as you watch it.

Round 1:
    Round 2:
    Round 3:
    Round 4:
    Round 5:
    Round 6:
    Round 7:
    Round 8:
    Round 9:
    Round 10:

Official Judges

Joe LoScalzo (Ref) CC 8-1-1
    Frank Forbes CC 5-4-1
    Artie Aidala CC 5-4-1

The Undercard:

Billy Bello (20yrs, 16-5-1, 7KO's, 151lbs) KO9 Gil Diaz (26yrs, 12-7-2, 150 1/2lbs)

Random Facts: Bello would be found dead of a drug overdose 4 months after this fight. This fight was the 4th time Bello & Diaz had fought in 9 months. Bello came out ahead 3-1 in the rivalry with this being the most decisive & only KO win of all 4 fights.

Ray Patterson (20yrs, Pro Debut, 188 1/2lbs) KO2 Duke Johnson (?yrs, 4-6-1, 187lbs)

Random Fact: Patterson was Floyd Patterson's younger brother.

Dick Wipperman (21yrs, 17-2-1, 9KO's, 198lbs) W4 Julie Reynolds (?yrs, 2-2, 1KO, 217 1/4lbs)

Luther Murphy (?yrs, 6-2-1, 2KO's, 187lbs) W4 Cody Jones (23yrs, 10-2-1, 9KO's, 200 3/4lbs)

Billy Padavone (?yrs, 4-1-1, 3KO's, 188 1/4lbs) W4 Mike Pacheco (?yrs, 0-2-1, 179lbs)

My Scorecard:

Round 1: DJ, DJ 1-0, Close-ish rd, DJ more consistent, but CC had the better moments, but DJ had the best moment catching CC & almsot dropping him within the first minute

Round 2: CC, Even 1-1, DJ had a nice moment or two, but CC landing more consistenly & making DJ miss far more often

Round 3: CC, CC 2-1, Close for the first 2 minutes, but CC came on strong during the last minute

Round 4: DJ, Even 2-2, Competitive rd, but I liked DJ more consistent work & I felt he landed the better shots

Round 5: DJ, DJ 3-2, DJ landing some nice shots through this rd & surprisingly adept at avoiding CC quick jab

Round 6: DJ, DJ 4-2, Close-ish rd, but DJ wins on landing the better shots overall, his aggression & making CC miss

Round 7: Even, DJ 4-2-1, Nothing that separated either guy from the other guy in this rd as I saw it, wouldn't argue if you gave it to either guy doe

Round 8: DJ, DJ 5-2-1, Close rd early, but DJ came on strong towards the end & took the rd

Round 9: CC, DJ 5-3-1, All CC this rd, maybe the most clearly won rd of the fight with CC activity

Round 10: CC, DJ 5-4-1, CC throwing a ton of punches this rd again & landing more than enough to take this rd

Comment

I had Ali winning a very, very close decision, by two points.

Comment

I didnt score the fight, but could not give Jones a round after the seventh and Ali really won the 3rd trying to Ko JOnes. So in my mind just scoring those rounds, Jones would have to have won every early round except the third, and the middle rounds.

. Also the ref who was closest to the action really gives one perspective. Ali often looked tired but it was because he was throwing punches. You could almost do that last round as a 10-8 as well.
        Last edited by billeau2; 10-17-2018, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Haven’t got time to do this now, but more people should watch this fight before criticising a young prospect for having tough fight on the way up.

All a part of the learning experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
            Haven’t got time to do this now, but more people should watch this fight before criticising a young prospect for having tough fight on the way up.

All a part of the learning experience.
            damn right, should happen more often these days

Comment

I scored it for Doug Jones when I watched it a few years ago.

Comment

Working...
              X