Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oldtimer Strength Building Occupations

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look guys I'm not someone that ****s on the old-timers. But training and conditioning HAS evolved to an extent. We just have more effective ways of replicating the types of training these guys are performing in the photos. Its some good stuff no doubt, very useful to build a strong body. But these days that similar kind of training is done in gyms with various equipment. Eg: tyre and sledgehammer used in place of chopping firewood.

Comment

Im not ****ting on those methods of training at all, and those guys were all strong tough men and great fighters. But its not like the guys today dont work their asses off too and perform similar, albeit more modern, replications of that kind of functional strength training.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
        Now we are getting into the aerobic jobs, the best kind of muscle jobs for an aspiring boxer. I know about those hay bales. Summers in high school I bucked hay. Hard on the hands, even with gloves, but works every muscle in the body.
        We picked tobacco a couple of times for a farmer (nicest guys...would rib us college kids!) and man!!! that was some hard work. We were all in shape (martial arts) and it was a killer diller workout. I learned to really respect farmers after that work! Deaslift? try hanging "bakar" (tobaco) in the barn! We did this for him one year and damn he took care of us, paid us twice as much (saw we were workin hard) and gave us a case of beer for the road!

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
          Very nice work bat!! descriptions and all, excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by GuessWhosBack View Post
            Look guys I'm not someone that ****s on the old-timers. But training and conditioning HAS evolved to an extent. We just have more effective ways of replicating the types of training these guys are performing in the photos. Its some good stuff no doubt, very useful to build a strong body. But these days that similar kind of training is done in gyms with various equipment. Eg: tyre and sledgehammer used in place of chopping firewood.
            I think if you looked at conditioning you might see a graph with many peaks and valleys but with a long term upper trend as you say. For example, during the weight training boom when guys were all chest and arms....that was awful. But we got back to properly exhausting the muscle groups and today many of the stuff done in gyms is top rate. /

Heres the thing: when it comes to building the core muscles, whether its done with the water pump, or throwing around a tire in an MMA gym.....its all the same when done properly.

Comment

I believe Foreman also was shown carrying tree stumps, chopping wood and even pulling a vehicle with a rope tied around his waist when training during his second career.

Comment

Originally posted by GuessWhosBack View Post
                Im not ****ting on those methods of training at all, and those guys were all strong tough men and great fighters. But its not like the guys today dont work their asses off too and perform similar, albeit more modern, replications of that kind of functional strength training.
                I think a big point with this thread is unless you're being paid to train, putting in 40+ hours a week at a job that physically helps you fight before you even train is ideal. The guy who works hard labor for 40+ and does another 15+ in the gym is going to be much better conditioned then the telemarketer who puts in 20 hours at the gym.

Comment

Working...
                X