This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
    Amazing how small Tommy was compared to Lennox...
    This was also Lennox at possibly his physical peak as a fighter. In my opinion, very few would have beat him during this period.

Comment

• Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
      This was also Lennox at possibly his physical peak as a fighter. In my opinion, very few would have beat him during this period.
      Yeah, he was at his peak or very very close to it...good punch selection and timing...

Comment

• Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
        I believe Lewis was scared as hell facing a puncher like Morrison that's why he was at his best, similar to Golota who was also big in similar size. When Lewis was weary of his opponent he never lost or was losing ,I don't think he over or underestimated Vitali so I leave that as it is. Morrison had just beat foreman I believe and took punches from him, lewis knocked Morrison down with a jab and k.od him with an over hand right not even hitting his chin,shows you the power he had.

Comment

• (First Post)

Foreman VS Chuvallo

Comment

• Once Tommy felt pressure he would tighten up and that spelled doom for him. His upper body type is not ideal for boxing once you loose your flexibility.
            He reminds me of Kenny Norton's upper body being so heavily muscled and starving for oxygen when stress is present.
            Tommy squaring up against Lennox gave Lennox a lot of area to punch at so all the punches worked well.
            You don't like to hook with a hooker but Tommy lack of reach let Lennox use his left jab and hook with Tommy not having any answers. Lennox puts an end to the fight with a left hook on the chin. Tommy's closed right eye opened the hooks up and I'm surprised Lane didn't stop the bout sooner.

John your right on about the lack of effort inside by Tommy, When you know your giving away height and reach you must get in and you must do your damage in close. Unfortunately that's not Tommy strong suit! There are so few inside workers in the heavy division in the past 50 years theres no wonder the height advantage has been impossible to bridge.
            Since the Pat Nappi days at the Olympic Training Center in 76 the pro style has changed from boxer/puncher to boxer! Lateral moves and in & out reign supreme and inside fighting is gone! Archie Moore to James Tooney aren't taught anymore because the vast majority of trainers don't take time to learn the techniques.
            It's not just boaring in and slugging you must determine distance for defense than your reach to land and you MUST work in combinations. You don't bounce out you pivot step to a new angle and continue to apply pressure. It takes a lot to learn but some one who refines the style would have a field day with these gawky Euro robots. Lennox has some fluidity because of his time with Davenport and Manny.
            Ray

Comment

• Pryor vs Arguello

Comment

• Comment

• Prince Naz vs Robinson in Cardiff for the WBO world title. Pissing down with rain but the ring was well protected.
                  A historic British fight that slipped under the radar. Naz's bravado was second to none, lands a punch then starts dancing.

Comment

• Last fight I wastched recently was Tyson Marquez vs Luis Concepcion. This was about 4 or five days ago....it was a war....

Comment

• I watched holyfied vs foreman loved every minute

Comment

Working...
                      X