Whats the shortest time boxing its taken someone to be the consensus #1 P4P guy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike Tyson

Comment

Naoya Inoue is 25, P4P #5 on Ring, 75 amateur bouts and 17 pro fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
        Vasyl kinda got there when he was maybe 29 or 30 and started boxing at 4 (though he had a gap to learn to dance between 9 and 13 at his dads insistence) - so 25 odd years between first lacing up and getting to P4P#1 in the pro ranks or 21 if you take out the time he was a dancer. Floyd is also kinda out of the running because he started so young (like Vasyl at 3 or 4 apparently) although he got to the #1 slot in 2005 at 28, a touch younger than Lomachenko.
        I was looking at it from the point of being pro to P4P. Different view I guess

Comment

Come now children, you know the answer to this because it is the man who inspired the great RJJ.

1882 Fitzsimmons debuts and captures the Lightweight Championship of New Zealand and the Middleweight Championship of New Zealand in the same year in ten fights.

1890 in his 55th fight Bob wins the Middleweight Championship of Australia and in his 56th and 57th he defended that title before leaving for America. 3 more fights in America in the same year bringing us to 60 fights for his career by end of the year.

Jan 1891 Bob Fitzsimmons knocked out Nonpareil Dempsey in 13 round contest for the Middleweight Championship of the World becoming the p4p king of the world.

I reckon the second p4p, the first p4p for the queensberry era and the first p4p to beat a p4p, is still the quickest to that honor.

Four years later he would be HW champion. There is some poetic justice in this. Year ago they said in Nonpareil was the size of Sullivan Dempsey would lick John L. With the man who beat the man theory applied it is Nonpariel's lineage that ended John L.'s

I think RJJ doing it in a modern era makes it more impressive but credit where due; Bob got it in quick and to the point.

edit- that's 9 years and 61 fights just in case any of y'all missed that.

Comment

Originally posted by NC Uppercut View Post
            Ah... I thought Pandas was talking about total boxing experience. If it's pro only Vasyl takes it I think though it's still pretty tight between him and Mike at approx 4 years - hard to say because the Ring p4p only started in 1989 and I'm not sure there was any clear consensus before that - had there been we might have had Iron Mike as P4P#1 after beating Spinks in 88, a little sooner than Lomachenko's win over Linares which solidified Loma's position at the top. Obviously Lomachenko became consensus #1 in far fewer fights though.

Comment

Originally posted by NC Uppercut View Post
              Yea I'm thinking from first putting on gloves to being pro & most seeing you as P4P #1. Or an argument for being #1 anyway cuz I know that top spot can be fickle & disputable.

Comment

Ah... I thought Pandas was talking about total boxing experience. If it's pro only Vasyl takes it I think though it's still pretty tight between him and Mike at approx 4 years - hard to say because the Ring p4p only started in 1989 and I'm not sure there was any clear consensus before that - had there been we might have had Iron Mike as P4P#1 after beating Spinks in 88, a little sooner than Lomachenko's win over Linares which solidified Loma's position at the top. Obviously Lomachenko became consensus #1 in far fewer fights though.
                Nah I'm talking first amateur fight to #1 P4P in the pros kinda sh^t. Overall years boxing, bouts of experience & age are the things I was looking for.

The pro debut to P4P #1 is lookupable. This is a lil harder to pinpoint.

Loma isn't unimpressive but to me turning pro after 400 amateur fights at 25 or w/e is an incredible amount of hours of time in boxing & therefore less impressive to me than a guy who burns straight to the top from the amateur days to the P4P rankings.

Even Floyd's run is less impressive under these guidelines cuz he was like Loma & boxing in diapers like a cat in this thread said so even though he was P4P at a younger age then Loma & with less experience in actual fights he still had a sh^tload of time in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
                  Jan 1891 Bob Fitzsimmons knocked out Nonpareil Dempsey in 13 round contest for the Middleweight Championship of the World becoming the p4p king of the world.

edit- that's 9 years and 61 fights just in case any of y'all missed that.
                  I'm showing he was in that Jem Mace tournament in 1880 on Boxrec. So it'd be 11 years when he was 28 years old if thats correct. Still solid.

It is weird with these old timey guys doe since there wasn't really much of an amateur game back then & this was pre-anything close to a P4P discussion among other old timey things that make these times very different from the modern area of boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                    Nah I'm talking first amateur fight to #1 P4P in the pros kinda sh^t. Overall years boxing, bouts of experience & age are the things I was looking for.

The pro debut to P4P #1 is lookupable. This is a lil harder to pinpoint.

Loma isn't unimpressive but to me turning pro after 400 amateur fights at 25 or w/e is an incredible amount of hours of time in boxing & therefore less impressive to me than a guy who burns straight to the top from the amateur days to the P4P rankings.

Even Floyd's run is less impressive under these guidelines cuz he was like Loma & boxing in diapers like a cat in this thread said so even though he was P4P at a younger age then Loma & with less experience in actual fights he still had a sh^tload of time in boxing.
                    That's what I thought from your OP - still Iron Mike then, I'd say. Floyd and Loma go to show what starting your kid at this **** young can achieve though - not sure it'll lead to a healthy well rounded personality, but if you want an elite fighter your best chance is probably to use a 3' Ring instead of a cot when you put Jr to bed at night.

Comment

That's what I thought from your OP - still Iron Mike then, I'd say. Floyd and Loma go to show what starting your kid at this **** young can achieve though - not sure it'll lead to a healthy well rounded personality, but if you want an elite fighter your best chance is probably to use a 3' Ring instead of a cot when you put Jr to bed at night.

LOL.

Well in fairness Loma does seem pretty reasonable to me so idk if I'd lump him in there with Floyd necessarily. And hell I hear a lot of cats that say Floyd is a whole other person when he's not around a camera so maybe he gets a lil bit of bad rap to actually.

Comment

Working...
                      X