Collapse
No announcement yet.

GOP wants to grab student loan payments right out of your paycheck

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PLEASE HELP] GOP wants to grab student loan payments right out of your paycheck

Whoa they went FULL RETA*RD

Republican Sen. Lamar Alexander has introduced a plan to completely upend the existing student loan payback system. How big is this plan? About 40 million borrowers big.

Under Alexander's proposal, there would be just two repayment routes: one in which borrowers' monthly bills are capped at 10 percent of their discretionary income and another that spreads their payments out over a decade. Employers would be responsible for taking the funds from their employees' paychecks and sending them to the government. (Of course, student loan borrowers currently can set up automatic payments with their lender. They also typically get a discount on their interest rate for doing so.)

"I think this proposal is likely to become law, after some tweaks," said Mark Kantrowitz, a student loan expert.

Needless to say, consumer advocates are alarmed.

For many borrowers, including those who lack stable employment or work in the gig economy, forced automatic payroll withholding may mean diverting money away from rent, heat or food in order to pay their student loans. It could also mean that they would have to give their employers a lot of information about their families (potentially including a spouse’s income) and their student loan debt in order to calculate the student loan payment amount.

This is a recipe for disaster, especially considering it would make the borrower's amount of debt known to their employer who could easily use that information to tailor promotions, offers of overtime, and raises.

An estimated 44 million Americans owe over $1.5 trillion dollars in student debt. A study from NerdWallet revealed that many millennials won't be able to retire until they're 75 and they will lose nearly $700,000 in retirement savings over a 50-year period. There's no question this country has a student debt crisis. Garnishing the wages of people already living paycheck-to-paycheck could turn it into a catastrophe.

2/18/19
    U.S. Student Debt in ‘Serious Delinquency’ Tops $166 Billion

Delinquencies continued to climb even as the unemployment rate fell below 4 percent, suggesting the strong U.S. job market hasn’t generated enough wage growth to help some people manage their outstanding obligations.

Income levels for graduates “are not necessarily high enough for debt payments overall,” said Ira Jersey, Bloomberg Intelligence interest-rate strategist. “If you have a choice to pay your student loan or for food or housing, which do you choose?”
    Last edited by Removed Now; 02-18-2019, 09:41 AM.

When you borrow money you have to pay it back.

I dont see a problem here.

If you dont want your checks to get garnished to repay student loans, dont go out and get student loans. It ain't rocket science.

Comment

That's how it works here in the UK, and in most other places. Hardly 'full ******'.
      Although, in the UK you have to earn approximately £1750 ($2,200) gross before anything is deducted. You then repay 9% on anything over that amount. Then after 30 years (?) Any unpaid debt is written off.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
        When you borrow money you have to pay it back.

I dont see a problem here.

If you dont want your checks to get garnished to repay student loans, dont go out and get student loans. It ain't rocket science.
        But if you want to refinance your home you can. If you file for bankruptcy your home debt will be wiped off. Student loans can't be forgiving in that way. .

Also let's take into the fact most jobs require a min of 4 years degree. The only way for some people to get decent jobs is to go into debt with loans. It's a catch 22 that never made any sense take out 90k of debt to make 30k now the government wants to garnish your wages? It will leave people will not much to live on. Seems like they are going to do more harm than good.

Comment

Originally posted by JcLazyX210 View Post
          Whoa they went FULL RETA*RD

Republican Sen. Lamar Alexander has introduced a plan to completely upend the existing student loan payback system. How big is this plan? About 40 million borrowers big.

Under Alexander's proposal, there would be just two repayment routes: one in which borrowers' monthly bills are capped at 10 percent of their discretionary income and another that spreads their payments out over a decade. Employers would be responsible for taking the funds from their employees' paychecks and sending them to the government. (Of course, student loan borrowers currently can set up automatic payments with their lender. They also typically get a discount on their interest rate for doing so.)

"I think this proposal is likely to become law, after some tweaks," said Mark Kantrowitz, a student loan expert.

Needless to say, consumer advocates are alarmed.

For many borrowers, including those who lack stable employment or work in the gig economy, forced automatic payroll withholding may mean diverting money away from rent, heat or food in order to pay their student loans. It could also mean that they would have to give their employers a lot of information about their families (potentially including a spouse’s income) and their student loan debt in order to calculate the student loan payment amount.

This is a recipe for disaster, especially considering it would make the borrower's amount of debt known to their employer who could easily use that information to tailor promotions, offers of overtime, and raises.

An estimated 44 million Americans owe over $1.5 trillion dollars in student debt. A study from NerdWallet revealed that many millennials won't be able to retire until they're 75 and they will lose nearly $700,000 in retirement savings over a 50-year period. There's no question this country has a student debt crisis. Garnishing the wages of people already living paycheck-to-paycheck could turn it into a catastrophe.

This is Fing Nuts
          Who does this plan help exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman Hodgson View Post
            That's how it works here in the UK, and in most other places. Hardly 'full ******'.
            Although, in the UK you have to earn approximately £1750 ($2,200) gross before anything is deducted. You then repay 9% on anything over that amount. Then after 30 years (?) Any unpaid debt is written off.
            Some ppl with degree are earning less than 35k. The job market here is not great. I can't compare it to the UK because I don't know it. There's people with 90k in the whole working at $17 a hour. It doesn't add up.

Remember you have to pay health care here or you get a fine.

Comment

Originally posted by AllBoxingAD View Post
              Who does this plan help exactly?
              The creditors who are paying the government to pass this law.

Banks, private lenders. I believe it will hurt education in the long run.

Comment

But if you want to refinance your home you can. If you file for bankruptcy your home debt will be wiped off. Student loans can't be forgiving in that way. .
                Your point being?

Again, this is already known and if you dont like the rules, dont get student loans.

Also let's take into the fact most jobs require a min of 4 years degree. The only way for some people to get decent jobs is to go into debt with loans. It's a catch 22 that never made any sense take out 90k of debt to make 30k now the government wants to garnish your wages? It will leave people will not much to live on. Seems like they are going to do more harm than good.
                First off, that's not a fact.

Only around 20% of Americans have college degrees, and our LPR is well over 20%.

Also, in my small circle I know 2 multi-millionaires.

Neither graduated college, and one of them may not even have a hs diploma.

I myself dropped out of college.

I have a job that pays more than the median income for where I live, I own a house in a nice neighborhood, I own 3 cars, i have a nice nest egg and retirement accounts, and on and on.

Plenty of people make damn good livings with just a certificate from a trade school (ASE mechanics, HVAC workers, electricians, etc).

This myth you need a college degree to get a good job is just that, a myth.

Comment

The creditors who are paying the government to pass this law.

Banks, private lenders. I believe it will hurt education in the long run.
                  What about the lenders who are getting hurt by people not repaying the money they lent them?

What about their hurt?

Comment

A friend of mine lives in Houston and has no degree, but he does have nearly 30 years of experience working in both the public and private sectors in the UK at management level, and he couldn't even get a job in a mail room without a degree. Sure, you don't necessarily need a university degree to be successful, but not having one severely affects your chances.
                    A BA is probably worth about the same as a high school diploma was years ago. The percentage of people with a degree in the US has increased quite dramatically in the last 40 years, the jobs market is a lot more competitive now, plus you have more people coming from overseas looking for jobs as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X