Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Defense - A Gun, Guard Dog or Security Alarm?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JcLazyX210 View Post
    Those damn English bulldogs are too friendly. The price tag alone makes them a target.

I heard they suffer from a lot of medical problems. I wanted one but if a dog is that friendly I got no use for it and it farts alot lol. Besides that they are cool dogs.
    nah.. i mean, you get that with any type of dogs. but if you take good care of it and stay up on shots, etc. you should be fine. i love english bulldogs for that exact reason! they are lazy!! lol. pretty damm smart too! i used to own pits and it was always a hassle with pits. cant really feed them all together also when i let them out to play every one in a while, they'll get into a fight over stupid shiiet. my english bulldog just sleeps all day lol.

Comment

No kids yet. I gave a combination gun safe that I am going to drill into my closet in the basement. But I do have a mini 9 that I carry in the house, I keep it by me on my night stand. When i have kids I will have to figure out what to do. I don't wanna have to run down to the basement when something actually happens. But I don't wanna put it on the top rack of my closet smdh

I may need to buy two safes one up stairs and the other one in three basement. Or just pray I will never need them, I could just lock them up at night in the basement and roll the dice.
      Yeah man. Last thing you need is someone getting their hands on your stuff even with a security system and you not being home. I'm from NYC getting a permit here is a pain in the ass. I had to grease some serious palms and even then I had to justify why I needed one and it had to be beyond "home security." I forget what the number of permits per year for non-law enforcement is currently but I believe the year I finally got mine it was like 500 permits per borough or some crazy shhh considering we had like 6 million residents at the time.

Comment

My state is a blue state. But I am not going out like a punk.
        Gun and security camera. That's all you need.

Comment

I just brought my first house. I wanted to ask all the home owners here what security do you have at your house ?

I got a quote for a security system which my wife wants me to buy. I have dead bolts on all my doors entering my house besides the basement which is connected to the garage.

I own two guns, loaded with hollow tips. Will be getting a shotgun very soon.

I want a dog, I plan on getting a dog. However the alarm company stays the dog has to be 80lb max to not set off the motion sensor.

What do you guy do to protect your home?
          Get rid of the guns if you have kids. AT the very least make damned sure they are locked up. Do not for any reason leave unlocked guns in the house. The statistics for children accidentaly getting shot sometimes fatally by guns being left unattended in a home is sobering.

Comment

All 3, get a reliable handgun or two, a revolver always does the trick as it will never jam on you, but you also can't go wrong with a glock or sig. Security systems are extra cheap today, ones like Ring which are configured with your phone through an app, and then finally a mans best friend, this I feel like is the least important of the 3. The dog more likely will be depending on you to protect him or her, but atleast he can let out a bark and warn you if something is up.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
              I have guns and an alarm system.

Fyi, the motion sensors can be set higher so pets dont set them off. We have cats, and they never have set ours off.

We have cameras, motion sensors, glass break sensors, and every door and window has a sensor on it as well.
              What brand/company do you use for your security system?

Comment

Originally posted by JimRaynor View Post
                What brand/company do you use for your security system?
                We had a small, local company, but they were recently bought out by a large chain.

We're switching over within a month, as that's when our contract ends.

We're likely going to go with a Ring setup and monitoring.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
                  We had a small, local company, but they were recently bought out by a large chain.

We're switching over within a month, as that's when our contract ends.

We're likely going to go with a Ring setup and monitoring.
                  Yeah, I was going to say this is probably the much better option. The direct set up with your phone just can't be beat.

Comment

Originally posted by .WesternChamp. View Post
                    nah.. i mean, you get that with any type of dogs. but if you take good care of it and stay up on shots, etc. you should be fine. i love english bulldogs for that exact reason! they are lazy!! lol. pretty damm smart too! i used to own pits and it was always a hassle with pits. cant really feed them all together also when i let them out to play every one in a while, they'll get into a fight over stupid shiiet. my english bulldog just sleeps all day lol.
                    I feel you. It is my dad's favorite dog and my wife loves them. If your English is healthy I will buy a puppy off of you. I am scared to pull a trigger because I heard about their poor health. But maybe it depends on who you buy it from.

They are very cool and chill dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by turnedup View Post
                      Yeah man. Last thing you need is someone getting their hands on your stuff even with a security system and you not being home. I'm from NYC getting a permit here is a pain in the ass. I had to grease some serious palms and even then I had to justify why I needed one and it had to be beyond "home security." I forget what the number of permits per year for non-law enforcement is currently but I believe the year I finally got mine it was like 500 permits per borough or some crazy shhh considering we had like 6 million residents at the time.
                      Wow you are very lucky. It's hardddd getting a license in NY. I heard it's basically impossible if you live in the 5 boroughs.

I totally get what your saying. Your right.

Comment

Working...
                      X