No announcement yet.

Henry Cejudo stops T.J. Dillashaw in 32 seconds

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry Cejudo stops T.J. Dillashaw in 32 seconds

UFC bantamweight champion T.J. Dillashaw’s ambition caught up with him Saturday night in the form of one of the greatest athletes ever to compete in mixed martial arts.

Dillashaw dropped down to 125 pounds to challenge flyweight titleholder Henry Cejudo in the main event of UFC Brooklyn, the company’s first event in a five-year deal with ESPN.

But Cejudo, the 2008 Olympic wrestling gold medalist from Los Angeles, wasted little time dispatching a foe from a higher weight class, needing just 32 seconds to earn the TKO victory at Barclays Center.

Much was made made about Dillashaw’s appearance the week of the fight, as he looked gaunt, although he made weight without trouble. But those who believed the depletion affected Dillashaw’s ability to absorb strikes got their validation when Cejudo steamrolled his opponent.

Cejudo wobbled Dillashaw with a head kick, then went in for the kill, raining down punches until the fight was waved off.

There remains question as to whether Cejudo’s first title defense will be his last, as the flyweight division’s future has been in question.

“Uncle Dana [White] where are you?” Cejudo said. “Where you hiding now? I came here guys, this victory I said it before, it was much bigger than me this was for the flyweights.”

The result puts Dillashaw in the awkward position of proceeding with his 135-pound belt having lost fast to a fighter a weight class down. Cejudo proposed solving this by rematching for his opponent’s bantamweight belt.

“We can do it again and this time at 135 pounds,” Cejudo told Dillashaw. “Thank you for the opportunity, your were a stud bro.”

Cejudo improved to 14-2 with his fourth straight win and sixth career KO/TKO. Dillashaw (16-4) had a four-fight win streak snapped.

Didn't like the stoppage, rematch at bantam makes sense.

Comment

Too quick of a stoppage, but I guess dillashaw is demanding rematch at the exact same weight and not up at 135

Comment

Damn, any time a fighter drops down in weight it never goes well. Common sense you'd think.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
          Too quick of a stoppage, but I guess dillashaw is demanding rematch at the exact same weight and not up at 135
          Which is foolish to say the least. He looked very weak from the weight cut, the smaller Cejudo controlled him easily, hell before the first hit that hurt TJ he just shoved him to the canvas like he was some weak bum.

Terrible miscalculation which can be corrected @ 135 as Henry even offered TJ a rematch at his weight. But it looks like his pride is making him do foolish things, he should forget about 125.

Comment

Nice W by Henry & I regret not betting this card at all. Specifically a dog parlay I was so close on pulling the trigger on of Henry, Cowboy & the insanely stupid longshot Hardy opponent for sh^ts & giggles which is the only reason I bet parlays & the sexy ROI's when you hit.

As to the stoppage TJ was wobbly damn near the whole fight after I think it was the kick. He didn't look good at that weight. I got no problem with whats being called a early stoppage by most. Wasn't a stoppage I loved don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't go so far as calling it a bad stoppage. Guy was flopping around, wobbly most of the obviously short fight & wasn't mounting much offense or defense to contend with what was coming his way before the stoppage. Thats gonna get a fight stopped more often than not, superfight or not.

Comment

Stoppage was a bit early, but likely it would have ended that way

Comment

It was a good stoppage. TJ is not defending himself.

Comment

Originally posted by RomanReigns View Post
                  It was a good stoppage. TJ is not defending himself.

I dont know why they say its too early to stop. TJ received lots of shots and didnt deserve more punishment. When they stopped the fight, TJ was holding Henry out of reflex not because he was defending himself.

Comment

I'm happy for Cejudo, I enjoyed watching that.

Comment

Working...
                    X