Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will boxing EVER get rid of the extra weight classes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The D3vil View Post
    Sometimes I agree with you, but then I look at the huge gap between 175 & 200lbs and I go, man, shouldn't there be a 190lb division or something?

I'd rather just there be one champ per division before any of that, though
    Amen 1 champ 1st.All it would really take is the BWAA to get together(like they do)and just refuse to name ANY alpha bit title's.And if you don't think this would work look how long it took WBO to be seen as a "real" title.The magazines at that time did not name them.This was before the internet and only way to follow boxing was to get mags.The WBO started in 88 and it took until this century before they became "legit". But yea I posted earier in thread about a div between 175 and 205id move cruiser just a little and then get rid of staw and have them at least 4pds apart 106,110,114,118 that way only one of original 8 would be affected(fly move from 112 to 110)

Comment

Those weight classes are OK in my opinion and don't really hurt anything. What is silly is the extreme closeness of too many lower weight classes. You have 105, 108, 112, 115 and 118. That's only 3 pounds between weight classes. A big dinner puts you in another weight class. If a good young growing 105 pound boxer was to gain weight and win titles he could become a five weight division champion with a gain of only 13 pounds. The answer is no. These current weight classes will remain and we will always have 18 different weight classes and that's probably at least 6 more weight classes than we could possibly really need.

Comment

Originally posted by Floyd is TBE View Post
        A superheavyweight division would improve the sport greatly.
        I doubt it. The unlimited weight class or superheavyweight would represent the boxer who can beat any other boxer of any weight. It would have the same prestige and make the same big bucks that heavyweight does now. Every good boxer who weighs over 200 pounds in lean shape will try to win that title. Has there ever been a good cruiserweight champ who didn't try to win the heavyweight title? This new supperheavyweight division would be the same way. What weight would it start at? We have 300 pound heavyweights right now. Biggest, heaviest or fattest doesn't always mean best.

Comment

No, the weight classes are fine as is. What boxing needs now is a Super Heavyweight division and it also needs to do something about making Crusierweight more attractable to fans.

Maybe a different name for the 200 lb weight class cuz most casuals don't really give a **** about Crusierweight or even know what a Cruserweight is.

Comment

Working...
          X