No announcement yet.

Broner = Gatekeeper?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broner = Gatekeeper?

Broner just isn't and wasn't ever that good, straight up B level fighter his whole career. Can we finally call him the journeyman/gatekeeper he truly is?

Close fights with Quintero, Ponce De Leon, Paulie, Granados, Taylor, and now Vargas. He could have easily lost ALL OF THOSE FIGHTS and have a journeyman record if he wasn't so marketable. Factor in that he's been absolutely dominated by Porter, Garcia, and took a vicious beatdown by Maidana--hardly won rounds in those fights--and you get the career of an overhyped fringe gatekeeper.

Well...that’s what happens when you fight guys your size.

He enjoyed a crazy size advantage when he was at 35 but unlike Crawford, he didn’t have the skills to match when all things became equal.

Same thing happened to Rios except Rios wasn’t the fighter Broner was (though ironically...I think Rios woulda beat Broner with that style).

Broner is starting to reach that point in his career where I’d worry if he was in against a skilled big puncher.

He’s the same exact fighter he’s been except now that he’s the same size, he can’t just walk through them like a 5’3 Gavin Rees.

We’ve seen no improvement, no sense of urgency in letting his hands go, nothing. At his age you’d have expected big imrpovements throughout his entire 20s but I guess he just wasn’t who we thought he’d be...or who many of us wanted to be is probably a better way of phrasing it

Comment

Broner just doesn’t want to let his hands go. On top of that, the constant shaking of the head every time he gets tagged, drives me nuts at this point. If you are gonna shrug off the other fighters punches, then you gotta throw some back doe!

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
        Well...that’s what happens when you fight guys your size.

He enjoyed a crazy size advantage when he was at 35 but unlike Crawford, he didn’t have the skills to match when all things became equal.

Same thing happened to Rios except Rios wasn’t the fighter Broner was (though ironically...I think Rios woulda beat Broner with that style).

Broner is starting to reach that point in his career where I’d worry if he was in against a skilled big puncher.

He’s the same exact fighter he’s been except now that he’s the same size, he can’t just walk through them like a 5’3 Gavin Rees.

We’ve seen no improvement, no sense of urgency in letting his hands go, nothing. At his age you’d have expected big imrpovements throughout his entire 20s but I guess he just wasn’t who we thought he’d be...or who many of us wanted to be is probably a better way of phrasing it

Yeah, I still can't believe many, including me to some degree, thought this kid was a future top 10 fighter when he was battering midgets like Gavin Reese and Eloy Perez. Crazy how he managed to shrink his body down to 130/135. The signs were there when tiny Ponce De Leon outworked him (I had PDL the clear victor) but no corrections or adjustments were made to his style of fighting. Fast forward years later and the flaws shown in that fight are still relevant today and the keys to beat him. Keith Thurman put it nicely when he stated that Broner is one of the easiest name fighters to outwork today.

Comment

Originally posted by NC Uppercut View Post
          Broner just doesn’t want to let his hands go. On top of that, the constant shaking of the head every time he gets tagged, drives me nuts at this point. If you are gonna shrug off the other fighters punches, then you gotta throw some back doe!
          He said he doesnt want to end up a vegetable. Hes afraid to get hit.

Comment

He is but he's a scary one. He can't be killed and gets stronger just when you are getting weaker. I dislike the guy but fighting someone like that would be daunting.

Comment

Originally posted by CleneloAlvaroid View Post
              He said he doesnt want to end up a vegetable. Hes afraid to get hit.
              Schitty thang is...I think it’s already too late for that.

Comment

Originally posted by NC Uppercut View Post
                Right, has the same issue that Arthur Abraham and others have had that he doesn't transition from defense to offense well. He's either shelled up (shaking his head at every punch landing) or trying to attack, very predicable to read. Then you factor in the low activity, as you pointed out, and you get an ridiculously easy style to beat. He's extremely athletic and has great speed which is what he gets by on, but it's not enough for the elite level.

Comment

4x world champ doe.

Comment

4 Weight champion doe...

Comment

Working...
                    X