Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the most overrated hype job you've seen since you've been watching boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
    He had several good wins after Donaire. Agbeko was only beaten by small margins by top competition and the Yotjan and Flores wins were also very good wins against top 5 guys who were champs with multi title defenses.
    The Agbecko win was decent, but it was ruined by just how piss poor that fight was in general. Rigo could have KO’d a scared Agbecko but instead he opted to fight safety first against an overmatched opponent. Also, last I checked the Flores fight was considered a NC, no matter how fake you think Flores’ reaction was.

Those other opponents that Rigo beat though? C’mon, you can’t tell me that the likes of Kokietgym, Francisco, or Jazza Dickens were even close to being decent fighters, let alone top fighters in his division at the time he fought them. Who the hell did those guys beat that makes them “good” wins for Rigo??

Again, Rigo fought no hopers after his fight with Donaire and he kept riding off of that win without doing anything else. Take Donaire out of Rigo’s resume and you’d have a really thin resume.
    Last edited by Flo_Raiden; 11-14-2019, 11:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flo_Raiden View Post
      The Agbecko win was decent, but it was ruined by just how piss poor that fight was in general. Rigo could have KO’d a scared Agbecko but instead he opted to fight safety first against an overmatched opponent. Also, last I checked the Flores fight was considered a NC, no matter how fake you think Flores’ reaction was.

Those other opponents that Rigo beat though? C’mon, you can’t tell me that the likes of Kokietgym, Francisco, or Jazza Dickens were even close to being decent fighters, let alone top fighters in his division at the time he fought them. Who the hell did those guys beat that makes them “good” wins for Rigo??

Again, Rigo fought no hopers after his fight with Donaire and he kept riding off of that win without doing anything else. Take Donaire out of Rigo’s resume and you’d have a really thin resume.
      You're just ignorant enough to think that they're no-hopers when they beat everybody else in the division except for Rigo. They were no-hopers only against him. Which makes him not underrated. So I've made my point quite clear. It was a bad choice for this list. Bye
      Last edited by Boxing Goat; 11-15-2019, 12:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
        Golovkin... no question, not even close

he promised that he would fight " anyone from 154-168 "... but when shlt got real, he killed THREE HUGE fights over weight lol

aside from that... he avoided top competition, and still to this day does not have a signature or career-defining win

if overrated means, fell way short of what was promised... then Golovkin is your man
        But has anybody really beat Golovkin? I don't think so. A couple close fights, but that's about it.

He doesn't have a signature loss. Unlike Canelo to Floyd, or Pac to Marquez, or...the list goes on.

Comment

• My pick is Broner. People hyped him for his skillset despite being hittable, stationary and having a low output. I'll give honorable mention to Linares-- not because I think he's a complete hype job but because he's a poor man's Khan and I found the level of praise he received baffling. No matter how many times he'd get knocked out by Mexico's B squad, people would immediately turn around and heaped praise on him. DeMarco beat him to a bloody pulp yet some people tried to claim it was an early stoppage as if it were an illegitimate win or that it was a fluke somehow.

Comment

• Logan Paul. He was supposed to be the next heavyweight champ and he couldn't even get through KSI. I bet my house on him and now I am homeless.

Comment

• Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
              I’ll go as far as saying he could’ve been, but he wasn’t. For the record, I believe Mike would’ve beaten Holyfield before he did his stretch...but we’ll never know.
              On this segment, I completely agree with you. Tyson can only be talked about as a wasted potential, unfortunately. But his 86-88 version was monstrous, independently from the quality of opposition (which, in any case, was not ENTIRELY bad... but became such in the view of many only after Tyson annihilated them).

More than his achievements, I tend to judge the 86-88 version of Tyson on sheer technique. He wasn't just a puncher; he was a technically advanced boxing machine, throwing punches that no heavyweight had thrown with such precision, speed and ferocity until then. Which is why he's fondly remembered by an old fart like yours truly

Comment

• Yall done went full ****** saying Rigo.... When we all know EVERYONE ducked him

Comment

• it would be the people who said they would win titles and never came close, like Fraudley Harrison. Probably the best British example, eventually he became a bad joke.

In America, Broner is the sterling example, seeing as he styled himself on a mini-me version of Mayweather, yet cannot win a title without a leg up. To his credit he did manage perhaps one legit title win all that time.

It all depends on the difference between the hype applied and the level of achievement eventually reached. So Audlee calling himself a future champ when he did nothing close makes him an outstanding example. The joke should never have got his title shots (those ones where he jumped onto the canvas as soon as his opponent came close).
                  Last edited by DreamFighter; 11-15-2019, 07:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tatabanya View Post
                    More than his achievements, I tend to judge the 86-88 version of Tyson on sheer technique. He wasn't just a puncher; he was a technically advanced boxing machine, throwing punches that no heavyweight had thrown with such precision, speed and ferocity until then. Which is why he's fondly remembered by an old fart like yours truly
                    No question. I said as much earlier. Tyson was a wrecking machine in those years. I still get a kick out of watching some of his highlights, and especially his training sessions. Awe inspiring. Just a special fighter. It’s when we get down to assessing his place on the list of all-time greatest heavyweights that I take issue with many of his fans. When everything is taken into consideration, Mike, with all his great attributes, just doesn’t belong at or near the top of the list.

Comment

• Originally posted by KillaMane26 View Post
                      Yall done went full ****** saying Rigo.... When we all know EVERYONE ducked him
                      To each their own. I still stand by what I said about Rigo. Could have made better career choices but he wasted it away.

It's a shame because he was so talented and I really appreciated his skills. But he was way overhyped for years. This feared fighter ended up turning into a myth.
                      Last edited by Flo_Raiden; 11-15-2019, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X