Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if Oscar never had dinner with Bob Arum?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if Oscar never had dinner with Bob Arum?

That was when Oscar had just gotten out of rehab. People are at their most vulnerable at that point. He was trying to mend fences with old enemies. That's one of the things they teach you in rehab. To right past wrongs with people you were once close to.

Bob put a bug in Oscar's ear about Schaefer. You also had Eric Gomez, Oscar's long-time best friend who wanted Schaeffer's job, whispering in the other ear at Oscar's most vulnerable moment. You also had a lot of boxing media whispering in his ear to take back control of his company that Schaefer had led to the #1 boxing promotion company.

Now his promotion company is homeless and relying on TV time from either Top Rank on ESPN or Matchroom on DAZN.

If he had not listened to all those people Golden Boy woulda been the main, or probably the only, promoter for PBC on Showtime, FS1, & FOX.

ive long done said this

Oscar ruined hbo....Oscar couldn't see the future and how boxers liked haymons model...it was the old school way of thinking that your company had to have outright contracts with fighters ...Richard was doing quite well

Comment

I think if Oscar, Richard, Haymon would've stayed together PBC might've never came to exist as all those fighters in PBC left Golden boy in the mass Exodus in early 2015

Comment

Eh idk man. I think Oscar is the big time promoter who makes the most mistakes in general. The best decision he ever made was working with Richard Schaefer in the creation of Golden Boy Promotions. If Richard hadn't been involved I doubt GBP is around today or if it is around it'd be more like Miguel Cotto Promotions & not a real player in the promotional business.

Probably the best thing Oscar could do right now is re-join up with Schaefer cuz Schaefer is spinning his wheels more these days without Oscar & without the big in he seemed to have with Haymon for awhile & Eric Gomez is no Richard Schaefer.

Comment

Originally posted by ELHITMAN606 View Post
          I think if Oscar, Richard, Haymon would've stayed together PBC might've never came to exist as all those fighters in PBC left Golden boy in the mass Exodus in early 2015
          The plan was for Haymon to buy GBP so yea there wouldn't have been a PBC for sure. Oscar turning down the offer was the birth of PBC.

Idk if any middle ground was attempted or could have been reached to make that situation work, but if it could have & we had GBP being Haymon, Oscar & Richard all on the same team boxing would look a lot different right now I feel like & all 3 guys would be in a better position then they are right now & Richard the most cuz Ring Star hasn't had a whole lot of luck thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            Eh idk man. I think Oscar is the big time promoter who makes the most mistakes in general. The best decision he ever made was working with Richard Schaefer in the creation of Golden Boy Promotions. If Richard hadn't been involved I doubt GBP is around today or if it is around it'd be more like Miguel Cotto Promotions & not a real player in the promotional business.

Probably the best thing Oscar could do right now is re-join up with Schaefer cuz Schaefer is spinning his wheels more these days without Oscar & without the big in he seemed to have with Haymon for awhile & Eric Gomez is no Richard Schaefer.
            Re-join Schaefer? After the lawsuit? No way. Those days have long passed.

Speaking of Schaefer, he definitely has some intriguing prospects, but I bet he was thinking he would be the face of the PBC in terms of promoters once he was able to return. But that hasn't been the case as Dibella/TGB have a strong standing with Haymon.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
              That was when Oscar had just gotten out of rehab. People are at their most vulnerable at that point. He was trying to mend fences with old enemies. That's one of the things they teach you in rehab. To right past wrongs with people you were once close to.

Bob put a bug in Oscar's ear about Schaefer. You also had Eric Gomez, Oscar's long-time best friend who wanted Schaeffer's job, whispering in the other ear at Oscar's most vulnerable moment. You also had a lot of boxing media whispering in his ear to take back control of his company that Schaefer had led to the #1 boxing promotion company.

Now his promotion company is homeless and relying on TV time from either Top Rank on ESPN or Matchroom on DAZN.

If he had not listened to all those people Golden Boy woulda been the main, or probably the only, promoter for PBC on Showtime, FS1, & FOX.
              True I believe they wanted GBP to be the main promoter Haymon to be manager and PBC to have been a leading sanctioning body in the sport.

That's always been my theory!!!! most people I speak to don't think so but I think it makes sense

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
                Re-join Schaefer? After the lawsuit? No way. Those days have long passed.

Speaking of Schaefer, he definitely has some intriguing prospects, but I bet he was thinking he would be the face of the PBC in terms of promoters once he was able to return. But that hasn't been the case as Dibella/TGB have a strong standing with Haymon.
                I didn't say it was likely. Just saying those two worked best together. Hell maybe Gomez would do a lot better for GBP if Oscar merely sat down & held onto his beer more too idk.

But yea the Haymon & Schaefer connection as clearly gone south since Schaefer isn't the guy running GBP. And honestly I think Schaefer would be a good thing for PBC too. Idk if Schaefer is pissing everyone off or if he's just talking his own path more now. The latter might be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  I didn't say it was likely. Just saying those two worked best together. Hell maybe Gomez would do a lot better for GBP if Oscar merely sat down & held onto his beer more too idk.

But yea the Haymon & Schaefer connection as clearly gone south since Schaefer isn't the guy running GBP. And honestly I think Schaefer would be a good thing for PBC too. Idk if Schaefer is pissing everyone off or if he's just talking his own path more now. The latter might be the case.
                  Haymon seems very loyal to TGB so I doubt they are ever going anywhere and Dibella is a nice East Coast Promoter. Schaefer still obviously promotes PBC cards and is now having a lot of his youngsters sign with Haymon ala Balderas and Joyce. If the Staples Center gets more cards and just LA in general for the PBC, then you will be seeing Schaefer a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
                    Haymon seems very loyal to TGB so I doubt they are ever going anywhere and Dibella is a nice East Coast Promoter. Schaefer still obviously promotes PBC cards and is now having a lot of his youngsters sign with Haymon ala Balderas and Joyce. If the Staples Center gets more cards and just LA in general for the PBC, then you will be seeing Schaefer a lot more.
                    Is Karlos with Haymon now too? I musta missed that news. But yea any fighter should have a cat like Haymon on their team.

Comment

Working...
                    X