No announcement yet.

The pick 'em 2018 rescue thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The pick 'em 2018 rescue thread

OK. Those of you involved in the Pick em for 2018 will probably have noticed that 2017 POTY (by acclaim) and Pick Em organiser BrometheusBob. has pretty much disappeared from the boards for the last couple of weeks... rumours abound about his whereabouts: some say he was kidnapped by Somali pirates and is being held to ransom, others that he was seen capering naked in the mountains of Northern Wisconsin... Anyway, I digress.

What I'm looking for is opinions on how we should progress with the Pick Em for this year. Working on the worst case scenario that BroBob has gone permanently AWOL we've got two main options:

1) Abandon the Pick Em for this year (or restart it under new management with the same or different rules)

2) Continue the Pick Em with the information gained to date - but under new (and preferably distributed) management.

The second option would seem like the natural pick, but in the absence of BroBob will probably require someone to manually input all the data and scores from the pick em to date into a new database or spreadsheet. Honestly I don't fancy it but probably it won't be more than a couple of hours work - especially for someone with even a modest level of relevant experience.

What I'm really looking for is firstly ideas on how to proceed - and on how we can set up a more robust system that won't fail if one user drops out (perhaps a multi-user membership like the Trokia that run under the tag of WBC WBA IBF would work, if they'd let us know how they set that up), and secondly - and perhaps more importantly, on volunteers to help make this ish work. I am willing to do a bit but my real life commitments mean that I can't guarantee I'll always be on call - especially during the summer months when I'm on the festival circuit most weekends. We've already had siablo14 basically do last weekends Pick 'Em and john l offering willing help if not experience, but we could really use a few more names.

Personally I think the Pick Em was a huge success last year and a welcome addition to the site - something that could and should become a fixture - and BroBobs work to date has been massively appreciated, but if we want this **** to continue it's just looking like some of us are gonna have to step up and get our hands dirty.
    Last edited by Citizen Koba; 02-28-2018, 05:11 PM.

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
    OK. Those of you involved in the Pick em for 2018 will probably have noticed that 2017 POTY (by acclaim) and Pick Em organiser BrometheusBob. has pretty much disappeared from the boards for the last couple of weeks... rumours abound about his whereabouts: some say he was kidnapped by Somali pirates and is being held to ransom, others that he was seen capering naked in the mountains of Northern Wisconsin... Anyway, I digress.

What I'm looking for is opinions on how we should progress with the Pick Em for this year. Working on the worst case scenario that BroBob has gone permanently AWOL we've got two main options:

1) Abandon the Pick Em for this year (or restart it under new management with the same or different rules)

2) Continue the Pick Em with the information gained to date - but under new (and preferably distributed) management.

The second option would seem like the natural pick, but in the absence of BroBob will probably require someone to manually input all the data and scores from the pick em to date into a new database or spreadsheet. Honestly I don't fancy it but probably it won't be more than a couple of hours work - especially for someone with even a modest level of relevant experience.

What I'm really looking for is firstly ideas on how to proceed - and on how we can set up a more robust system that won't fail if one user drops out (perhaps a multi-user membership like the Trokia that run under the tag of WBC WBA IBF would work, if they'd let us know how they set that up), and secondly - and perhaps more importantly, on volunteers to help make this ish work. I am willing to do a bit but my real life commitments mean that I can't guarantee I'll always be on call - especially during the summer months when I'm on the festival circuit most weekends. We've already had siablo14 basically do last weekends Pick 'Em and john l offering willing help if not experience, but we could really use a few more names.

Personally I think the Pick Em was a huge success last year and a welcome addition to the site - something that could and should become a fixture - and BroBobs work to date has been massively appreciated, but if we want this **** to continue it's just looking like some of us are gonna have to step up and get our hands dirty.
    As a player that did well all year last year, I think it needs to continue. With that said I used a large multiplier on Groves V Eubank and got it perfect, I want those pts! That puts me where I need to be. But it should carry on! I’m so busy with family and work, i wouldn’t be reliable to really help. We need someone that is computer savvy and works from home, or has time. Thank you for addressing the pink elephant that’s suffocating the room!!

Comment

Wasn't Bob just here a couple days ago? He ain't say whats up?

Comment

Originally posted by NC Uppercut View Post
        As a player that did well all year last year, I think it needs to continue. With that said I used a large multiplier on Groves V Eubank and got it perfect, I want those pts! That puts me where I need to be. But it should carry on! I’m so busy with family and work, i wouldn’t be reliable to really help. We need someone that is computer savvy and works from home, or has time. Thank you for addressing the pink elephant that’s suffocating the room!!
        Humblebrag mfer lol.

And randomly Bob's awolness is why I haven't done anything with the money version of the pickem game. Can't have a mfer awol + holding people's money & his been touch n go a lot lately. And after looking over the mods idk any of them well enough to say anyone is more trustworthy then anyone else or trustworthy at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          Wasn't Bob just here a couple days ago? He ain't say whats up?
          He popped in very briefly on Sunday to thank Siablo for his work on last weeks pick 'em but that was his only post for a week.

I PMed him a coupla days ago asking him if he was cool with me starting this thread, but no reply, so I decided it was time to just go ahead.

But no, man, he didn't say what's up - hopefully he's off having a torrid affair with a washed up B-movie actress or somesuch.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            Humblebrag mfer lol.

And randomly Bob's awolness is why I haven't done anything with the money version of the pickem game. Can't have a mfer awol + holding people's money & his been touch n go a lot lately. And after looking over the mods idk any of them well enough to say anyone is more trustworthy then anyone else or trustworthy at all.
            Brother I gave up on Money Edition a while back. I and I both knew that it wasn’t gonna work without the proper time and set up. Maybe Bob is dealing with depression or emotional issues, bless him, but last year he would be late af updating shlt. But at this pt I’ve given up

Comment

I would be for 2nd option but yea we would need maybe bob to get us up to date(Groves v Eubank)as we got last weeks.Im willing to do what I can but Koba was not kidding when he said lack of experience(thx that was nice way of sayin I don't know sh ite about computers lol).The one thing is leaderboard I believe is right on points but # perfect and # right do not all add up.Now that's not as important as points and multiplier's being correct so I don't know.But it seems to make more sence then to start over(I know I might be biased).It would be nice if Bob would let us know what he wants that is if he can get away from the Somali pirates lol.Are there mountains in N Wisconsin?Im from MN never heard of any lol.

Comment

He popped in very briefly on Sunday to thank Siablo for his work on last weeks pick 'em but that was his only post for a week.

I PMed him a coupla days ago asking him if he was cool with me starting this thread, but no reply, so I decided it was time to just go ahead.

But no, man, he didn't say what's up - hopefully he's off having a torrid affair with a washed up B-movie actress or somesuch.
                Rose McGowan has been low profile lately.

Comment

the pick em is done for, its over. it was good whilst it lasted. its too much to sort out if someone else takes it over, and they will probably get bored of doing it too. its a lot of work for someone to do for no real benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by NC Uppercut View Post
                    You used a 2x correct?

Comment

Working...
                    X