No announcement yet.

Brock Turner to be released after 3 months for sexual assault

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
    That was the headline repeated over and over again to this day, but from what I recall reading he didn't and the DNA testing also cleared him of rape.

Iirc what he was guilty of was sexual assault, i.e. he put his fingers in her without consent.

It's sad that a case like this becomes a misreported political football.

i'm not going to parse words with somebody who isn't willing to say that fingering an unconscious girl is rape, and that it's morally wrong for this kid to bond out of jail and only serve three months total.

the kid ran away when other dudes showed up. he knew damn well what he was doing was wrong.

the story has become a political platform because his family could afford to bond him out for 150K over night [i know some legitimately wealthy people who couldn't do that,] and pay for a high priced lawyer; and it got him off of the hook with a three month sentence. this is a country where people go to jail for life for drug offenses, mind you. we have no problem putting people in jail when they're black / brown and poor. but if you're wealthy enough you can bond out of jail, afford an attorney, and affect your chances in the justice system. additionally, if you're white, statistics show that you'll do less time [or not have to face a "mandatory minimum,"] on average, for the same offenses in the same jurisdictions. you can do the research if you'd like. it mostly available on the internet for free in full PDF.

that's a problem. i'm calling it "morally wrong." and i don't take seriously the opinions of anybody who disagrees with that. i call them "racist."

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
      That was the headline repeated over and over again to this day, but from what I recall reading he didn't and the DNA testing also cleared him of rape.

Iirc what he was guilty of was sexual assault, i.e. he put his fingers in her without consent.

It's sad that a case like this becomes a misreported political football.

What's sad is you trying to minimize the crime. But coming from you that's no surprise.

Why don't you refresh your memory with facts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...us/?tid=a_inl#

Comment

Originally posted by Publius View Post
        He got a similar sentence as anyone else with no criminal record and a good lawyer in California would face for these 'lesser' charges (in the context of sexual assault/rape crimes).

It made national news (unlike the hundreds of more serious sexual crimes that happen every single day) precisely because it was a well off white student at an ivy league school.

In other words, the only reason people demonstrate any moral outrage over this is because it gives them a chance to say "hey look they do it too!!"

And it's the job of the legal system to adjudicate 'fairly' (or whatever they define as 'fairly') despite this national coverage. Whether it's this guy, or Michael Jackson, or the cops in Baltimore.

Usually, the results are dissatisfying to the public because the public doesn't understand the legal system. That's clearly the case with many posters in this thread.

No he didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          i'm not going to parse words with somebody who isn't willing to say that fingering an unconscious girl is rape, and that it's morally wrong for this kid to bond out of jail and only serve three months total.

the kid ran away when other dudes showed up. he knew damn well what he was doing was wrong.

the story has become a political platform because his family could afford to bond him out for 150K over night [i know some legitimately wealthy people who couldn't do that,] and pay for a high priced lawyer; and it got him off of the hook with a three month sentence. this is a country where people go to jail for life for drug offenses, mind you. we have no problem putting people in jail when they're black / brown and poor. but if you're wealthy enough you can bond out of jail, afford an attorney, and affect your chances in the justice system. additionally, if you're white, statistics show that you'll do less time [or not have to face a "mandatory minimum,"] on average, for the same offenses in the same jurisdictions. you can do the research if you'd like. it mostly available on the internet for free in full PDF.

that's a problem. i'm calling it "morally wrong." and i don't take seriously the opinions of anybody who disagrees with that. i call them "racist."
          Well you'll find that when you turn it into a racial issue people are much less inclined to agree with you. It has little to do with the moral side of it, and more to do with the introduction of a new political dimension to the discussion.

It's why when there's any racially tinged shooting people will immediately take sides. It has nothing to do with the facts of the case, and everything to do with predetermined ideas about race and society.

I hope nobody would have an issue with calling his actions morally wrong (and maybe that's what this guy is saying, in which case he is wrong on that), but I think you'll find that people certainly will have an issue with the various political/legal positions you hold.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
            No he didn't.
            Yes he did. I suggest you read the article you linked above to understand why. If you can afford a good lawyer, and you live in California, and those are the 'facts' (I use quotes because the facts, as usual in cases like these, are disputed) then it is not necessarily surprising.

Although these things can go either way. It probably would have been smarter for the defense to settle, but what the hell do I now.

Comment

You rape (ok finger) and unconscious woman and get a slap on the wrist.

You beat, burn or drown a puppy....a long prison sentence.

Are dogs worth more than Women in the USA?

Comment

Originally posted by Mooshashi View Post
                You rape (ok finger) and unconscious woman and get a slap on the wrist.

You beat, burn or drown a puppy....a long prison sentence.

Are dogs worth more than Women in the USA?
                aren't they where you're from, too??

Comment

Originally posted by Publius View Post
                  Yes he did. I suggest you read the article you linked above to understand why. If you can afford a good lawyer, and you live in California, and those are the 'facts' (I use quotes because the facts, as usual in cases like these, are disputed) then it is not necessarily surprising.

Although these things can go either way. It probably would have been smarter for the defense to settle, but what the hell do I now.

No he didn't. I suggest you look at other sentencing and time served for three felony sexual assault convictions. No prior record or not.

He did not get the same sentencing as "anybody else". Regardless of the lawyer.
                  Last edited by joseph5620; 08-31-2016, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by baya View Post
                    aren't they where you're from, too??
                    You can get a dog for free at an animal shelter, but buying a women costs you real out of pocket money. Even buying a Russian or Ukrainian or Chinese woman online costs $50.

Comment

Dat white privilege...

Comment

Working...
                      X