Where Does Mike Tyson Rank As An ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i think Mike Tyson is an ATG his stock will grow with time

Comment

• Tyson is top 3 of all time. Look what he did for the sport of boxing, look how he captivated the country every time he stepped in the ring. Look how main stream media covered him. Boxing hasn't been the same since his time passed.

Comment

• Originally posted by fightmuseumlv View Post
        Tyson is top 3 of all time. Look what he did for the sport of boxing, look how he captivated the country every time he stepped in the ring.
        Jack Johnson.
        Jack Dempsey.
        Joe Louis.
        Muhammad Ali.

I think those four place above Tyson using the same cross-over criteria.

Originally posted by fightmuseumlv View Post
        Look how main stream media covered him.
        I do feel that Tyson had about the best rub with the media of any fighter that has these type of discussions.

Going into his title fight with Berbick most were discarding their journalistic objectivity to back him.

Comment

Tyson is top 3 of all time. Look what he did for the sport of boxing, look how he captivated the country every time he stepped in the ring. Look how main stream media covered him. Boxing hasn't been the same since his time passed.
          He's TOP 3 for what he did for the sport and because he "captivated the country"? If that's the case then shouldn't John L. Sullivan be (at least) TOP 4 and Dempsey TOP 5?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
            Not an ATG, no way, he QUIT against Evander so he wouldn't get KO'ed!!!
            What ATG QUITS in a Title fight!! I'm so sick of these Tyson fans who think he's a great fight, he fought great against terrible competition his first 20 fights were against "hand picked" guys who couldn't break an egg!
            Could he fight great....................Yes! When the stakes were highest against solid men he got beat and/or QUIT!

The style he was taught was extremely hard to maintain as he got older its a style that dictates flexability and stamina and Mike was NOT a disciplined fighter by the time he got to Evander thats how Evander walked him. Push the "bully" back and see what happens....................he QUIT!

Its in file for every Tyson FAN to see he bite Evander to get out of the fight theres no other reason. Every fighter knows its an automatic DQ for biting!!

You saw and OLD Joe Louis try hard against Rocky and get beaten bad but he didn't QUIT!
            Who ever said that Max was passed his prime when he defeated Joe doesn't know history! Max is one of the best heavies to lace them up and was technically sound even out of his prime. Joe Louis does NOT have a weak chin anyone who thinks that or says that is a FOOL!

I have Tyson on the Maybe ATG great list in front of George the Animal Steele and in back of "Nature Boy" Buddy Rogers!! HA!! right where he belongs! Ray
            i like this answer ^^^

Comment

Tyson is top 3 of all time. Look what he did for the sport of boxing, look how he captivated the country every time he stepped in the ring. Look how main stream media covered him. Boxing hasn't been the same since his time passed.
              If you look at the response to your post....Well this is why I don't do lists haha. When we start saying things like "I definitely have ______ top 5 but not above top_______, etc etc etc....Its kind of like saying to the IRS "I don't owe you 900 dollars I owe you 890 dollers and 20 cents! My favorite example: When I was in real estate appraisal where we have to ascertain the value of a home, some younger appraisers would be like "this house is worth five hundred thousand and six hundred dollars" haha I mean seriously? Nobody can say what a house is worth, its an ESTIMATE of value meaning....is the house estimated at five or six thousand hundred dollars?

Lists are estimates and its perfectly possible that there are more than five top 5 heavyweights! Is that illogical? Sort of. To me Tyson along with about ten other guys is a top 5 guy....Why? because we can't really say ith certainty how much less, or how much better guys are past a certain point.

I do know that Joe Louis and Ali were probably the two best heavyweights. I might also consider Dempsey in that category actually. If you look at most heavyweights they fit the archetype for these guys. Jack Johnson is the archetype for the cunning fighter...its just that Ali was probably better, thats all...Louis is the pure puncher, and Dempsey the wild man, Enkidu (the Epic of Gigamesh) who is Neanderthal in his swarm...in his fury.

Seems to me all heavyweights fit into one of these type of categories. I don't think anyone of them could punch like Louis, move like Ali, or come with more fury than Jack. Tyson was a Dempsey fighter.

Comment

• Top 20

I would day he belongs somewhere between 15-20 all-time, He accomplished a lot as a young boxer. He beat Michael Spinks, who was undefeated, and Larry Holmes. Yeah, he fell apart later, but his early years were as good as it gets.

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
                I been using boxing forums for a few years but have never seen no talk about Mike's ATG number. It's unspoken of which is strange.

Comment

Working...
                X