Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the beef with Amir Khan and Carl Froch?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It all started after Khan got KO'D by Prescott. Froch did an interview saying that Khan was overrated and would never be a top boxer etc. Basically kicked him whilst he was down.

Khan had a few things to say about Froch after he lost to Kessler as well.

Comment

Froch and Khan have been rivals for Britain's number 1 spot for so long, it had been Haye who had really stopped all that though. Since Haye retired, you noticed how both of them were spouting they were Britain's no.1. I'm not sure how it originated though

You say Haye and Hatton both support Khan - Froch and Haye are very very good friends, I don't think Haye would pick sides to spite Froch ever

Comment

They should just fight! Khan is talking about moving up, why not to 168?

Comment

Originally posted by mrcupide2 View Post
          What's the beef with Amir Khan and Carl Froch?
          Any one know how it started and over what?
          I know that Hatton and Haye all support Khan.
          I think they both support Haye as well.
          Britts are suppose to be stay together..maybe Khan tried to hit on his fiance? hah
          After Amir lost, Froch said maybe he should retire, then Amir FIRED back with Froch is jealous I have more fans.

Comment

LF: OK, so - What’s all this business with Amir Khan?

Do you mean King Khan ? (laughs)

To be honest, I've steered away from getting involved. It's looked like he gotten all upset so I wanted to leave him alone as the written word can be quite powerful.

LF: So what started this off Carl ?

He's gotten upset because I gave a little feedback on his Prescott defeat and reported that I'd heard that the Kotelinik win was a little dull from reports off my friends who'd paid for the show and were disappointed.

He's just a bit young and fragile and probably just needs a hug from the rest of Team Khan or his personal chauffeur or whatever.

I’ve met Amir a couple of times and he is a nice enough kid to chat briefly to and so was his father.

But the bottom line is I have always told it how it is and to sugar coat things is just taking the mickey out of the boxing fans who read the internet or watch the fights on TV or whatever.

There's no malice intended in my feedback. I deal with cold truth. In boxing we all get a pat on the back and we all get criticised. I cop a lot of criticism off Mcquighan, Jim Watt and so on but it doesn't mean I start crying into my pillow about it.

We were all asked on ITV what we thought of the Precott defeat and a few of my peers said what Amir wanted to hear with a cherry on top – then I told it how it was as per usual. That it was a bad defeat and it would be a long road back for Khan and that there was some serious questions now about his chin. I think the other commentator's spared Amir's feelings, but I think it should be told how it is.

If Khan got up of the floor and put in a barnstorming comeback and knocked Prescott out in style, then that's what I would have raved about on ITV at the time - but he didn't. He was gone in 60 seconds from a jab and then a couple of heavy hooks. It was one of the worse defeats i have ever seen in boxing. Period.

I remember Khan's close friends and family at ringside looked like they were having a heart attack, watching the lad getting hammered like that. It was a very bad defeat indeed and you can tip toe around the event as much as you want but it is what it is. They will read this and they will nod and reflect back to that moment. He was totally gone and I was worried he would be OK.

And those questions over his chin have not gone away and before every fight people wonder when he finally does step up in class, will this flaw get exposed again?

Maybe the truth I spoke has dented King Khan's fragile ego and now i'm the focus of his mind - But I've got no beef with the guy.

Thinking as to why that is (having a go at me).... he can't blame himself for the loss and he can't blame Oliver Harrison or the Cuban either because they have both been sacked.

I know if I took a bad defeat, I would walk through fire to get back at the guy. I wouldn't let it go like that, no way. But that's me.

What did you think of Khan's fight with Salita at the weekend?

Khan took him out with some fast, clean shots. But without wanting to upset King Khan again - who is this Salita fella? I'm not being derogatory but honestly, I've never heard of the bloke.

I'd want to see an opponent at least take a shot and throw some back. I suppose it's down to the mandatory situation that he fought Amir.

Maybe I don't follow enough boxing, but correct me if wrong, Salita was never regarded as a hot prospect. If he was any good we'd have all heard about him before he'd got to the no1 spot wouldn't we?

My first defence was Jermain Taylor in America which kinds of gives you an idea of a what a genuine contender should be- and whom can declare themselves 'world class' and therefore be qualified to get a shot at the world champion.

That guy Salita had no business in there and i'd bet my house on him never getting another shot again at any belt.

But with regards Khan, yes he looked decent and completely in control.

LF: Sorry to keep asking these questions but whilst I've got you- does the fame & lifestyle that Amir seems to enjoy, bother you at all?

(laughs) it's Ok.

Listen... Not at all, i’m not the jealous type and am happy with my lot. I've never aspired to owning a private jet and am happy with my jacuzzi !

But I guess it does bug a few other fighters out there who are taking harder fights and bigger risks, yet still doing the 9-5. But that’s not Amir’s fault. If TV want to pay him large sums for easy fights then fair play to him.

I never got into boxing for the fame and lifestyle. I couldn’t care less if I never live next door to Vanilla Ice in LA or own a diamond studded grandfather clock on my wrist. I come from a family of grafters and I unwind by getting my hands dirty, working on my house and my properties - I’m a working class guy and am happy relaxing with my friends and my girlfriend Rachael, not falling out of China Whites with my man bag.

I chuckled when I had a limo pick me up for the fight with Dirrell - usually I drive to the arena myself, put some petrol in and just ease myself down there. But they needed to get a camera crew plus Andy Kerr to interview me on the way.

LF: Last question and it's about Amir again. Do you respect that Khan has comeback from the KO loss ?

Yes definitely, because it was a brutal loss. I admit that the people he's come back against have not been top fighters, but they are still semi decent for him to fight. I dont visualise him as a world champion yet though because he's fought nobody world class yet.

But when you talk about the word 'respect' - In boxing, respect is earned and not handed out. If Amir is fighting the top 5 of his division and winning then he deserves plenty of credit and we shall wait and see. That goes for any belt holder.

Without sounding hollow - I wish him all the best and hope he does the bizz. Moving up in weight may help his punch resistance and having Freddie Roach in his corner will do him no harm.

And i'll be the first to give him a high five if he does.

Is that what they do in L.A ? (laughs)

http://www.livefight.com/boxingforum...ic,5917.0.html

Comment

Froch is basically p*ssed off with the world that he hasn't got the exposure he truley deserves.

No matter what, Amir Khan will always be considered the bigger star in the UK compared to Carl Froch.

The guy was a star in the UK when he was 17 before he'd even turned pro.

Comment

Quite simply, Froch is just a jealous bitter man.

And he always has been. Not just with Khan.

It started off with Calzaghe first. He practically got on his knees and opened his mouth begging for a fight with Calzaghe but at the time it was just not worth if for Calzaghe, as even though Froch must have been around 30, barely anyone knew who he was.

Then he moved onto Khan when Calzaghe retired. After Breidis KO'd Khan, Froch kicked him whilst he was down saying stuff like Khan will never be a world level fighter or something like that and saying **** about his chin.

He's also thrown a few digs at David Haye in the past.

All in all he's just a jealous man, as still he's not a household name in the UK whilst Khan and Haye are.

Whilst some of you may say rightly so, i agree he should be a household name but why is he taking it out on his fellow brit fighters?

How about taking it out on whoever the **** was promoting him before Eddie Hearn? As whoever it was they did a god awful job.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Jones Jnr View Post
                  Quite simply, Froch is just a jealous bitter man.

And he always has been. Not just with Khan.

It started off with Calzaghe first. He practically got on his knees and opened his mouth begging for a fight with Calzaghe but at the time it was just not worth if for Calzaghe, as even though Froch must have been around 30, barely anyone knew who he was.

Then he moved onto Khan when Calzaghe retired. After Breidis KO'd Khan, Froch kicked him whilst he was down saying stuff like Khan will never be a world level fighter or something like that and saying **** about his chin.

He's also thrown a few digs at David Haye in the past.

All in all he's just a jealous man, as still he's not a household name in the UK whilst Khan and Haye are.

Whilst some of you may say rightly so, i agree he should be a household name but why is he taking it out on his fellow brit fighters?

How about taking it out on whoever the **** was promoting him before Eddie Hearn? As whoever it was they did a god awful job.
                  Froch was calling out Calzaghe because he was his closest rival. He didn't sugar coat the Khan loss and said what the majority of boxing fans were thinking. He has always been very close friends with Haye so i doubt he has said anything bad about him.

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
                    I'd be mad too if somebody who put in less than half the work I put in gets three times as much attention.
                    Too bad, even though Khan did the chicken dance twice and will probably go on to face weak opposition, Froch won't get as much recognition.
                    Well you should be mad, I know there are people out there who work less than you and earn 10000 times more than you.

Froch is jealous. Khan is right that JWW is tougher than SMW. SMW only just grew... it was not even a division that many really stopped at.

Yes I agree Khan became super famous after the silver in the Olympics, but they billed it as a 17 year old who was the ONLY boxer entered in the 2004 Olympics and he was going against a veteran for the Gold. It of course did sell.

Khan made a lot of money, and who the **** wouldn't do the same given the opportunity? His dad was a mini cab driver, Khan at least did something and went for it.

Khan has a crap chin but is still exciting and has been in good fights. Froch is exciting and blessed with a great chin. Froch started late in his career, and many did not like him because he kept calling out Joe Calzaghe when he was a nobody.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
                      Froch was calling out Calzaghe because he was his closest rival. He didn't sugar coat the Khan loss and said what the majority of boxing fans were thinking. He has always been very close friends with Haye so i doubt he has said anything bad about him.
                      he was his closest rival?

At the time Calzaghe had finally started fighting the big names, shot they were but still the big names. At the same time Carl Froch was an absolute nobody. Hell if even now he's not a household name in the UK, imagine what it was like then?

Of course Froch wanted that fight, that would have been a good fight and a great chance to launch onto the scene but it was just quite simple not worth it for Calzaghe.

Calzaghe beats him and it's ''oh it's just another euro bum'' and if Froch beat him he'd have lost his 0. Not worth it at all for Joe.

He sure didn't sugar coat it but it would have been nice if Froch gave a helping hand to his fellow brit fighter who at the time must have been like 20-21 years old rather than kick him whilst he's down.

OF COURSE the majority of the boxing fans were thinking he had a glass jaw after Breidis, so were the general public but the right thing for him to do would have been to offer a helping hand to a young, fellow brit who had just been brutally KO'd. Leave the public to hate on Khan, you as a fellow fighter and no chance of being his rival should have offered him a helping hand. Khan was a 20 year old kid at the time.

Not sure about the Haye thing, but im sure i can remember him saying something. **** knows what though. I dont care enough to look for it either.
                      Last edited by Roy Jones Jnr; 07-16-2012, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X