Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what weight class is fight night weight exactly??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by No Ceilings View Post
    Some people dont understand the concept of the weigh in. Boxers CUT down from higher weights most of the time.
    Something about the most naturally talented fighter I believe.**** sorry burner,that was meant for Walt.

Comment

Originally posted by El Más Mejor View Post
      It's not as important just like you said.

The important weight is established a day before at the official scale. If you make weight, then you are good to go. Some don't share the weight because the get baseless critizism by those who complain that they rehydrate too much. Which is plain silly imo. Just because Rios and Katsidis weight over 150 pounds the day of the fight, that doesn't make them junior middleweights or does it mean that they can be competitive at 154.
      baseless criticism? you mean just like how berto made a big deal about ortiz's fight night weight? but who cares? the fans wants to know so why keep it a secret?
      you will if you overweigh your opponent by 15-20 lbs because you just picked on a smaller fighter.

Comment

Originally fighters were weighed right before the fight so that they weighed within the weightclass for the fight , this was the fairest deal ,,, but what happened was that fighters that pulled out or didnt make the weight would trash the promotion and everybody was out of pocket , so then to give promoters some protection they made it in the morning of the fight and what was happening then was fighters were killing them selves to fight at lower weight classes and not fully dehydrating by fight time and the officials felt it was a dangerous situation , so then they made it 30 hrs before to allow enough time to rehydrate and they also added weight limits set many weeks away from the fight to try and keep them in check ,,,

Weight has always been controversial in boxing ,,, look up Gatti Gamachi lots of issues were raised in that deal .

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
          That's what I've always believed.When U trim down to make a certain weight.It's only healthy to hydrate back up a few pounds.Now going up in weight,U cut less weight but can take away key attributes,like stamina,speed & even power.For instance if U've always fought at lets say lightweight but gain weight to fight ur stamina,speed & power will be less effective because ur fighting at a weight u weren't built for.That's why they always talk about fighters not carrying their power,or speed up in weight.
          No.. fighters who kill themselves to make the weight generally do not recover well overnight. That's what overstraining does.

A good re hydration is a good sign, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
            Originally fighters were weighed right before the fight so that they weighed within the weightclass for the fight , this was the fairest deal ,,, but what happened was that fighters that pulled out or didnt make the weight would trash the promotion and everybody was out of pocket , so then to give promoters some protection they made it in the morning of the fight and what was happening then was fighters were killing them selves to fight at lower weight classes and not fully dehydrating by fight time and the officials felt it was a dangerous situation , so then they made it 30 hrs before to allow enough time to rehydrate and they also added weight limits set many weeks away from the fight to try and keep them in check ,,,

Weight has always been controversial in boxing ,,, look up Gatti Gamachi lots of issues were raised in that deal .
            No. The weigh in format was only changed at the top level of the sport, for the most part. When you're at the point where the weigh in gathers media etc then it needs another day in between. They use it as a build up now for a lot of fights and all of the top ones. At teh beginning of your career you weigh in the morning of your fight (I know, I'm currently still weighing in the same days).

Comment

Originally posted by intoccabile View Post
              No. The weigh in format was only changed at the top level of the sport, for the most part. When you're at the point where the weigh in gathers media etc then it needs another day in between. They use it as a build up now for a lot of fights and all of the top ones. At teh beginning of your career you weigh in the morning of your fight (I know, I'm currently still weighing in the same days).
              Its not the media attention directly its the rules being enforced because of the nature and the level of professional boxing ,, I took some amateur kids on a 6 hr drive last weekend with a same day weigh-in only to be told you might not have a fight it depends who turns up and what they weigh lol , we still basically fight in a tent in some places lol what Im talking about in relation to the thread is the fast track of boxing not the backyard ranks .

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
                Its not the media attention directly its the rules being enforced because of the nature and the level of professional boxing ,, I took some amateur kids on a 6 hr drive last weekend with a same day weigh-in only to be told you might not have a fight it depends who turns up and what they weigh lol , we still basically fight in a tent in some places lol what Im talking about in relation to the thread is the fast track of boxing not the backyard ranks .
                Gotchya, and agreed

Comment

It seems like i'm trying to bring up May-Pac, but for some reason fight night weights became a really big deal, bigger than they are[not saying they were never brought up before], when Pacquiao burst in the scene. Sure it was always mentioned before, and it was always a factor with every fight. But ever since Pac came up to 147, fight night weights haven't been this popular. Especially with Floyd refusing to weigh in for the Marquez and Mosley fight and people thinking that was his first doing that, when it actually started in 2007 with DLH and Hatton, which I mentioned before.

Other than with Pacquiao fights, I really don't see fight night weights being mentioned a lot anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                    It seems like i'm trying to bring up May-Pac, but for some reason fight night weights became a really big deal, bigger than they are[not saying they were never brought up before], when Pacquiao burst in the scene. Sure it was always mentioned before, and it was always a factor with every fight. But ever since Pac came up to 147, fight night weights haven't been this popular. Especially with Floyd refusing to weigh in for the Marquez and Mosley fight and people thinking that was his first doing that, when it actually started in 2007 with DLH and Hatton, which I mentioned before.

Other than with Pacquiao fights, I really don't see fight night weights being mentioned a lot anywhere else.
                    I agree, but that is because Pacquiao is now fighting in catchweights , while most boxers fight in the limit of the division and that's why they don't mention a lot their weight during fight night.

Comment

Working...
                    X