Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Rogan talks about Hamill/Bisping

Date: 09/09/07 08:54 PM
    2924 Total Posts Ignore User

I've gotten a ton of emails about this, and I've seen all the threads here about it so I thought I would make a reply. I thought that clearly the most damage in the fight was done by Hamill in the first round. That was really the only time anyone was hurt. Hamill hit Bisbing with a huge right hand and had him hurt very badly. Hamill got some takedowns after that, but was unable to do any significant damage from them.
    As for scoring, I just walked in the door from London, so I'll have to look at the fight again and see what I think, but I remember when the fight was over I thought that if I had to bet, I would say that Hamill was going to walk away with a close decision. The first round was clearly his, the second was probably his as well, and I thought Bisbing did enough to win the third.

At the time I honestly didn't think the decision was that crazy. We see so many ****ing weird scorecards in the UFC that maybe I'm just getting used to it.

For instance, if I'm not mistaken, one of the judges in the Clay Guida vs Marcus Arellio fight scored the fight for Arellio, and I thought that was just ****ing insane. Fortunately the other two saw it for Guida and he walked away with the win, but it's an example of how goofy the scoring can be sometimes.

As for anyone telling me what to say or who to put the emphasis on during the commentary, I can tell you 100% that it has never happened. The ONLY thing that the ufc has ever asked me not to do, was mention Pride by name when they were in the middle of negotiations and **** was getting ugly between them. This was around the time when they had Wanderlei come into the UFC and challenge Chuck with a Pride T shirt on, and the UFC had felt like they were getting played and that Pride was using the negotiations to get free publicity for Pride in the USA and that they didn't really have intentions to have any of their fighters come over here.

I thought regardless of the decision, the Hamill Bisbing fight was very entertaining, and both guys fought their hearts out. Coming on here and ****ting on Bisbing for his performance is just ignorant. He did his best against a powerful guy that surprised him with some new found skills and a good game plan. The decision isn't going to hurt Hamill in any way, and in fact it probably made him some new fans. It's certainly not going to hurt him in the long run with the UFC. If I was advising Bisbing, I would probably tell him to drop down to 185. He walks around at 205 with a little body fat, and if he changed his diet and concentrated on the lighter weight class I think it suits his frame more.

I think there have been some really insightful posts on here about scoring, and some very good suggestions. One of them that I think we should look in to, is announcing the scorecards after each round. That could possibly help, and the only downside I can think of is that it would make some guys that are ahead ease up and take fewer chances because they know they've got a win in the bank if they can just coast. A way around that would be finishing bonuses for a submission or KO.

Overall though, I think this decision outlines a real problem that we have in this sport using a scoring system that was designed for boxing. I believe we need to use a more comprehensive system that quantifies each aspect of the sport. It's not going to be easy to come up with, but I think that decisions like this are going to eventually force a change. Personally, I prefer the scoring that they used in Pride where they judge the fight as a whole and count the damage being scored at the end more highly.

From www.mma.tv/TUF

I totally agree with the last paragraph, the scoring system used in boxing is completly inapropriate for MMA. Nice to here what Joe has to say.

Comment

nice pic man look at that brit fuk bisping matt hammil was untouched

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
        Date: 09/09/07 08:54 PM
        2924 Total Posts Ignore User

I've gotten a ton of emails about this, and I've seen all the threads here about it so I thought I would make a reply. I thought that clearly the most damage in the fight was done by Hamill in the first round. That was really the only time anyone was hurt. Hamill hit Bisbing with a huge right hand and had him hurt very badly. Hamill got some takedowns after that, but was unable to do any significant damage from them.
        As for scoring, I just walked in the door from London, so I'll have to look at the fight again and see what I think, but I remember when the fight was over I thought that if I had to bet, I would say that Hamill was going to walk away with a close decision. The first round was clearly his, the second was probably his as well, and I thought Bisbing did enough to win the third.

At the time I honestly didn't think the decision was that crazy. We see so many ****ing weird scorecards in the UFC that maybe I'm just getting used to it.

For instance, if I'm not mistaken, one of the judges in the Clay Guida vs Marcus Arellio fight scored the fight for Arellio, and I thought that was just ****ing insane. Fortunately the other two saw it for Guida and he walked away with the win, but it's an example of how goofy the scoring can be sometimes.

As for anyone telling me what to say or who to put the emphasis on during the commentary, I can tell you 100% that it has never happened. The ONLY thing that the ufc has ever asked me not to do, was mention Pride by name when they were in the middle of negotiations and **** was getting ugly between them. This was around the time when they had Wanderlei come into the UFC and challenge Chuck with a Pride T shirt on, and the UFC had felt like they were getting played and that Pride was using the negotiations to get free publicity for Pride in the USA and that they didn't really have intentions to have any of their fighters come over here.

I thought regardless of the decision, the Hamill Bisbing fight was very entertaining, and both guys fought their hearts out. Coming on here and ****ting on Bisbing for his performance is just ignorant. He did his best against a powerful guy that surprised him with some new found skills and a good game plan. The decision isn't going to hurt Hamill in any way, and in fact it probably made him some new fans. It's certainly not going to hurt him in the long run with the UFC. If I was advising Bisbing, I would probably tell him to drop down to 185. He walks around at 205 with a little body fat, and if he changed his diet and concentrated on the lighter weight class I think it suits his frame more.

I think there have been some really insightful posts on here about scoring, and some very good suggestions. One of them that I think we should look in to, is announcing the scorecards after each round. That could possibly help, and the only downside I can think of is that it would make some guys that are ahead ease up and take fewer chances because they know they've got a win in the bank if they can just coast. A way around that would be finishing bonuses for a submission or KO.

Overall though, I think this decision outlines a real problem that we have in this sport using a scoring system that was designed for boxing. I believe we need to use a more comprehensive system that quantifies each aspect of the sport. It's not going to be easy to come up with, but I think that decisions like this are going to eventually force a change. Personally, I prefer the scoring that they used in Pride where they judge the fight as a whole and count the damage being scored at the end more highly.

From www.mma.tv/TUF
        thanks for re-posting

I still find it hard to believe that Rogan didn't think people would be outraged by the decision, especially with some of the London crowd booing during the interview. And if he thought it would be a close decision for Hammill, then why not ask Bisping if he thought he really won the fight?

Comment

Joe needs to stop yelling during the fights.
          It make him seem very unprofessional, and is very annoying to.

Hey Mr. Billy D. Badass, lets see you get in there and compete.
          I hear you're a bully off screen, and Ive seen video of you talking **** to a woman. And roughing up some dope from Myspace.
          C'mon Joe...What you know?

Comment

Joe Rogan is actually a TKD Champion and a Purple Belt in Brazillian Jiu Jitsu. He's tapped Rampage with a RNC before...

Comment

What's done is done, poor Hamill got robbed and it is ****ing disgusting. Cecil Peoples should be banned from judging a Pie-Eating contest, let alone a combat sport bout!

I want to see a rematch!!!!

Comment

bull****....just completly ****ing bull****...robbed robbed robbed hamill was indeed. My jaw dropped after hearing michael "the ****" bispings name as the winner, ****ing ufc judges anyways. And that **** goes and talks **** on his post interview, ****ing prick.

ps: IM BACK BITCHES!!

Comment

Comment

thats a great shirt ... speaks the truth

why would the people in London be "outraged" .. the home guy won.

o well, Bisping's gonna get his for being a mouthy mother****er

Comment

Working...
                    X