Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prince Nas was the best showman boxing had in years.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fight_professor View Post
    Seriously, not the best boxer - obviously, but as a showman he was awesome. In his pomp, he was a world class featherweight, but the style, the entrances, the dancing, the words - hella entertaining boxer.

Flipping over the rope, kick-flipping up. A bit much for some, but I liked it.
    He was amazing. I didn't watch him back then, but I love watching clips of him on you tube.

Comment

Originally posted by FRANKIE420 View Post
      History also shows he ducked Jmm. I can only imagine how Marquez would of exposed this one handed hype job...
      This is what I hate about this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
        No, it's something we should be proud of.

He beat no one great, did not rule for long, got embarrassed in a defeat that chased him out of the sport, and acted like a complete buffoon through all of it.

His loss to a guranteed HOFer like Barrera showed the massive gap between someone who belongs and someone who doesn't.
        Hamed was a featherweight champion from 1995-2001 with 16 title fight wins, many of them over former, current, and future titleholders. Those numbers match up favorably with some hall of famers, Arturo Gatti included.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          Hamed was a featherweight champion from 1995-2001 with 16 title fight wins, many of them over former, current, and future titleholders. Those numbers match up favorably with some hall of famers, Arturo Gatti included.

WBO Title for many of those years, and GOOD competition in some of those fights. His biggest and best wins were over Tom Johnson and Steve Robinson- good wins. I give him little credit for beating a nearly shot Kevin Kelly and a Bungu who was not particularly active and was a 122lber with fists of marshmallow.

I'm not going to tell you that Hamed sucked. He was very good and reasonably accomplished. What he wasn't....was great. Some of you liked his antics, which some think gives him some extra HOF creds because he brought attention to the game. I thought his antics were lame as hell and felt the attention he brought was largely negative. I'd have many casual fans ask me all the time "who is this idiot, The Prince, I just watched the other night?". It wasn't just his entrances, but also the stupid way he boxed. A stupid way that worked against the GOOD fighters he fought, but failed miserably against Barrera.

Watch that Barrera fight again and look at how ridiculous this supposed HOF worthy character looks in there.
          Last edited by jabsRstiff; 12-14-2012, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
            Marquez wasn't prime back then, or box office. I don't remember him being ranked on any pound for pound lists at that time. The Marquez of the last decade was superior to my eyes. But hell, Barrera gave Naz the schooling he needed. At that point Barrera was seen as far higher up the pound for pound listings because of the first fight with Erik Moralles which many felt he won.

But Hamed wasn't a one handed fighter. For all his lack of fundamentals the guy had some scary power in both fists and could fight from either orthodox or southpaw stances.

And as a showman, he was one of the best. Whether people liked it or not, he made an absolute fortune!! Why he hasn't been more emulated, I don't know.
            He was ranked no 1 mandatory for Naz' WBO title for two years! He knocked every one of his opponents out in those two years, apart from the literally unstoppable Alfred Kotey, and had huge hype in boxing circles.

Anyway, Naz put on a great show, and the good thing was he put on good fights too! Often traded big punches, or traded knock downs, got stunned, hurt, wobbled and had some great fights that usually ended with his opponent being KTFO.

Comment

I use to think he deserved to be in the HOF but he really doesn't.

Such an overhyped fighter, and its laughable to call him 'great'.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                He was ranked no 1 mandatory for Naz' WBO title for two years! He knocked every one of his opponents out in those two years, apart from the literally unstoppable Alfred Kotey, and had huge hype in boxing circles.

Anyway, Naz put on a great show, and the good thing was he put on good fights too! Often traded big punches, or traded knock downs, got stunned, hurt, wobbled and had some great fights that usually ended with his opponent being KTFO.
                I don't believe any number 1 challenger can be mandatory for over one year....let alone two years without the champion being stripped!! Certainly not without some form of step aside money being paid (as was the case when Tyson chose not to fight Lennox Lewis). I don't remember Marquez ever being paid off by Hamed.

When do you think this two year mandatory wait was? Before or after Marquez lost to Norwood? Remember, it was only a year and a half after Marquez lost to Norwood that Hamed lost to Barrera. Marquez wasn't seen as special back then, world class but not special. No one was crying out for Marquez vs Hamed, the big money wasn't there. Plus Norwood wasn't seen as special either....and he beat Marquez. Marquez wasn't seen at the time as being any more special than the Norwoods or Gainers of the world.

And to be honest, I'm not sure that the Marquez that lost to Norwood would have beaten Hamed.

At the time the guys around Hamed's division which were getting all the press were Moralles, Barrera and Mayweather.......and all were being linked to future fights with Hamed. Problem was, Hamed lost to Barrera.

Marquez is rightly one of the best pound for pound fighters of the last 7-8 years or so. He is much improved from the fighter from the late 90s.

Comment

Marquez DUCKED Nas when he offered him the highest purse he would've made in his career

Nas was usually fighting guys ranked higher than Marquez during his run
                  Last edited by TysonBomb; 12-14-2012, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                    WBO Title for many of those years, and GOOD competition in some of those fights. His biggest and best wins were over Tom Johnson and Steve Robinson- good wins. I give him little credit for beating a nearly shot Kevin Kelly and a Bungu who was not particularly active and was a 122lber with fists of marshmallow.

I'm not going to tell you that Hamed sucked. He was very good and reasonably accomplished. What he wasn't....was great. Some of you liked his antics, which some think gives him some extra HOF creds because he brought attention to the game. I thought his antics were lame as hell and felt the attention he brought was largely negative. I'd have many casual fans ask me all the time "who is this idiot, The Prince, I just watched the other night?". It wasn't just his entrances, but also the stupid way he boxed. A stupid way that worked against the GOOD fighters he fought, but failed miserably against Barrera.

Watch that Barrera fight again and look at how ridiculous this supposed HOF worthy character looks in there.
                    We're never going to see this the same way, but I'll make a few points and let it rest.

Of course I've also heard negative reactions to Hamed. But I've also heard many positive ones too from marginal fans. He was the one who got the smaller fighters on HBO and Showtime, not Barrera or Morales. His fights sold tickets and did big numbers on HBO. If I'm not mistaken, the Barrera fight was the first major PPV with fighters that small. So he contributed to boxing in more ways that just in the ring, and that is part of being in the HOF.

Also I think Hamed isn't getting enough credit for his competition. Medina, Vazquez, and McCullough were all former (or future) champions and top featherweights. Soto, Ingle, and Bungu were all legit wins too.

As for the Barrera fight, I accept that Hamed was over confident, under prepared, and totally outclassed. But the fight easily went the distance and he was never dropped. Hamed would never beat Barrera, but it just seems too harsh to completely bury a guys career based on that one fight.
                    Last edited by Scott9945; 12-14-2012, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zaheer
                      Didn't jmm expose the one handed hype job last week?
                      No need too bring Pacquaio hate into the History section, it's not funny or witty.

Comment

Working...
                      X