No announcement yet.

Looking Back: My Detroit Favorites

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking Back: My Detroit Favorites

There were many fighters that I had the pleasure of meeting and working with. Many would take me to the side as I grew teaching me this and teaching me that. These were the guys when I was fighting whose voices I could clearly hear in the yelling of the crowd cheering me on and yelling instructions. In each of these guys was a great fighter.

Ka-dy King - I was around Ka-dy pretty much from the time that I started boxing. I was just a little guy but he would always spare time in his workouts to work with me in the ring. While he played with me as a cat would a mouse he was one who helped me greatly while I was coming up. In my bouts Ka-dy was always the most vocal and he cheered me on even when I was fighting a guy from the Kronk stable (Ka-dys gym). I remember watching him work, so smooth and skilled, a style similar to Alis except Ka-dys jab had some pop on it, no slaps from him. He was a hero in my young eyes, one of the top fighter in the state as an amatuer. They had to bring Jeremy Williams in to fight Ka-dy in the Diamond Gloves because frankly he was head and shoulders above what was in Detroit at the time.

As a pro I was certain that Ka-dy was a world champion just waiting for his chance. The perfect build, great skills and a personality that would light up a room when he walked into it. He never quite fought to his potential for one reason or another losing in a bid for a title against Darrius michelzski (spelling?) and dropped decisions to fighters who were far below Ka-dys standards.

No matter what happened with Ka-dy I will always love him like my big brother. While he might not have set the world on fire he brought so much into my world that I never would have known. Like I said he didnt set the world on fire but he will always be a champion in my eyes. Ka-dy is one great guy and was one hell of a good boxer in his time.

Marlon Thomas - When we were young Marlon and I would often spar. He was more experienced and was fighting out of the Kronk stable but he would come down often with Ka-dy to our gym to work. Marlon was another that I picked to be a champion one day. He was fast, he was slick and he was skilled. Marlon was another voice in the crowd that I could decipher out of all the yelling and screaming. Always yelling and pushing me forward in my bouts.

Marlon was another with extraordinary skills, but again for some reason he seemed to come up short when big chips were on the table. He fell short in his first 10 round bout that at the last minute was changed to a 12 round title fight when he faced Vernon Forrest. Marlon came up short but really made no excuses in defeat.

Marlon was another that helped me grow as a fighter. We would have some viscious throws down in the gym with Marlon nearly always coming out on top. But he was one who believed in me and always tried to help me whenever he could.

I remember after I retired I went down to Kronk to get a work out in. Going to the gym was always done in the hopes of sparring and this trip was no different. I went up to Walter Smith and asked him if I could spar abit with somebody, Walter looked at me like I was crazy and started tearing into my a$$ verbally. Thats when Marlon came up to Walter telling him in my defense that he was one of us (I was one of them). Marlon was like a brother growing up and this made the notion concrete in my mind.

While he never won a title Marlon was one of the most naturally gifted fighters that I have come acrossed. Even though he never won a belt he will always be a brother and champion in my eyes. I really wish that you could have seen his work in the gyms, a smaller version of Ray Robinson, he could do it all. And talk about personality, just like Ka-dy, Marlon could have a room full of people in hands as he joked about and in general just had fun. But ring a bell and that personality turned to a stone cold fighter as he should be.

I thank both Ka-dy and Marlon for their help, encouragement and brotherhood that they gave me through the years. Ka-dy used to tell me that I was a black kid trapped in a whiteboys body because of the way that I used to fight. I would always laugh and take it as the compliment that it was meant to be. These are examples of the brotherhood of fighters. We'd fight eachother and anybody else around who was game for it. The respect will always be there no matter how far we got because we grew up around eachother as fighters out of The Motor City. Ka-dy and Marlon are not my brothers by blood but we are bonded with the punches that we threw and painfully excepted as we grew. I will never forget Ka-dy or Marlon, thanks guys............Rockin'
    Last edited by Rockin'; 06-28-2012, 08:13 PM.

I was rewatching the Tyrone Trice vs Simon Brown bout (what a great fight) and it started stirring the memories of when Trice would walk into our gym to workout and spar. He was always kindof a stand-offish guy but man could he fight.

So many of the guys that I remember were just incredibly nice guys and while the gym was heated and everybody was working hard there was always time for laughter.

Booker T Word was one who always brought a smile, some laughs and a mean left hook. Booker was one that when he was around he made people laugh, always joking and pranking. He was training out of our gym when I was just beginning and he was the head liner of the first professional card that I ever attended. A very short lightheavy with a natural Adonis build (he never lifted weights) he would fight for a state title where he was defeated by one Arthel Lawhorne. Lawhorne was out of Kronk and did not posses a great record but he certainly had skill. Booker would later knock out Anthony Hembrick to win the USBA Lightheavy title I believe. In a snap shot after the bout as Booker was jumping around in his excitement it perfectly displayed the kind of guy that Booker was, a kid trapped in a mans muscular body. I was very happy when I saw him win that fight. If Booker was indeed a kid inside he was certainly one tough kid.

Greg Wright was another guy that I really liked out of Detroit. A really tough guy in the ring but when not in the ring just a super nice guy. We never sparred as I remember but I do recall some of his wars down at Galaxy.

One thing that all of these guys have in common is that they were really, sincerely nice people. Ofcourse ring a bell and that all changes but we all did what we had to do when the bell rang.

Joseph Kwianuka, the nicest most docile person to talk to. But again, ring a bell and he was a terror. We would talk, jOseph with his broken english and African accent. Always wearing a big smile acrossed his face. Looking at the boyish face and smile you would never have guessed that he was a fighter if you encountered him away from the gym. As a matter of fact, most of the guys were like that when away from the gym. Considerate, polite, always laughing and smiling. Most of them the last thing that you would guess that they did was fight for a living.

And you can't mention Detroit without mentioning the "Queen of Boxing" Jackie Kallen. I've spoken enough about her for you to know that she is simply one great lady. She's planning on opening a new Galaxy Gym in Detroit very soon and hopes to pump some life into a Detroit boxing scene that lost some of it's sharpness with the closing of so many rec centers and gyms in the area.

I can say that I am proud to have fought out of Detroit. I am proud of the things that some of my friends were able to accomplish and I am happy that Jackie has come back and asked me to be part of her club. The MotorCity will be up and rolling proudly again in the near future and I'm proud to be a part of it all............Rockin'

Comment

I hope Kallen is successful in reviving boxing in Detroit.
      Rockin' Rockin' likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        I hope Kallen is successful in reviving boxing in Detroit.
        It never came together...…….Rockin'

Comment

Working...
        X