Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For GGG to be considered an all time great?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jas View Post
    Top 50 atg he would need to beat canelo twice and then clean up 168 decisively, knocking out guys like degale at that higher weight class

The way in which he stays undefeated in conquering 160 and 168 nefore retiring is gonna be important in determing whether hes top 50 atg. Its not enough just to beat everyone since those are 2 very weak divisions
    that would not make him top 50..lol

Comment

As a fan of him, the way he becomes and all time great would be to beat Canelo pretty convincingly and pick up some very good wins against top guys at either 168 or 175 if he can go that high.

People could say he shouldn't need to move up to be considered an ATG as some fighters that are ATG's ever moved up, but there just isn't enough competition at MW today to reach that status.

He might not become an ATG but then again Hagler is and his best wins are blown up smaller guys. Either way, i think beating Canelo would go some way to making people admit he's the real deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirko Troll Cop View Post
        When you compare Hagker to GGG's size next to each other but GGG himself says "look at me I'm not a big Middleweight..."
        Yeah but the sport is different now with rehydration from weigh-ins the day before instead of the same day.

GGG is not big MW in the current era when other middleweights are blowing up to almost 180 overnight. Then you go up to 168 and you get guys coming into the ring as almost a cruiserweight and so on and so forth.

In many ways you can't really compare todays game to back then really.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigLug View Post
          Yeah but the sport is different now with rehydration from weigh-ins the day before instead of the same day.

GGG is not big MW in the current era when other middleweights are blowing up to almost 180 overnight. Then you go up to 168 and you get guys coming into the ring as almost a cruiserweight and so on and so forth.

In many ways you can't really compare todays game to back then really.
          How much did Marquez rehydrate to against PAC at 147 bouts? You're literally saying that Golovlin would have never nor technically fight Ward... but he was game to fight Chavez Jr. and Froch at 168?

How much do you think those two guys in Gennady's head, would weigh on fight night? He wanted those fights at 168...

But you're saying he was lying?

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
            wtf??? Srr started at lightweight and even he tried to fight for a title at 175 but failed do to heat exhaustion...
            That's what I said in my post.

Comment

How much did Marquez rehydrate to against PAC at 147 bouts? You're literally saying that Golovlin would have never nor technically fight Ward... but he was game to fight Chavez Jr. and Froch at 168?

How much do you think those two guys in Gennady's head, would weigh on fight night? He wanted those fights at 168...

But you're saying he was lying?
              I wasn't talking about any fighter specifically, GGG or otherwise.

I was simply stating that you can't compare the size of a fighter today to one years ago in the same weight class because the rules are totally different. A guy fighting at 160 back in the day with same day weigh-in might fight at 154 today if he knows he has 24 hours to rehydrate.

Everything has shifted and todays fighters are able to boil down to weight classes lower than they would have been able to with same day weigh-ins.

So my example was that GGG is not that big for a modern day MW, there's bigger guys boiling down and rehydrating such as Jacobs. If you build GGG a time machine and put him back 35 years, he would have been a big MW and maybe not fought at 160 without the ability to rehydrate overnight.
              Last edited by TheBigLug; 07-09-2017, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigLug View Post
                I wasn't talking about any fighter specifically, GGG or otherwise.

I was simply stating that you can't compare the size of a fighter today to one years ago in the same weight class because the rules are totally different. A guy fighting at 160 back in the day with same day weigh-in might fight at 154 today if he knows he has 24 hours to rehydrate.

Everything has shifted and todays fighters are able to boil down to weight classes lower than they would have been able to with same day weigh-ins.

So my example was that GGG is not that big for a modern day MW, there's bigger guys boiling down and rehydrating such as Jacobs. If you build GGG a time machine and put him back 35 years, he would have been a big MW and maybe not fought at 160 without the ability to rehydrate overnight.
                The theory is irrelevant. Gennady wanted Froch and Chavez Jr. at 168. Who is ideal at whatever size at Middleweight doesn't matter. The context is achieving greatness. Who at Super Middleweight now is better than Froch or Chavez Jr.? Don't you agree Gennady should already be there. Their own team has said this year they plan to move to 168

Comment

The theory is irrelevant. Gennady wanted Froch and Chavez Jr. at 168. Who is ideal at whatever size at Middleweight doesn't matter. The context is achieving greatness. Who at Super Middleweight now is better than Froch or Chavez Jr.? Don't you agree Gennady should already be there. Their own team has said this year they plan to move to 168
                  I understand what you're saying but you mentioned GGG saying he isn't a big MW and i'm saying he isn't a big MW in context of the modern era.

Anyway he should move up. I'm a fan of him and i've always said apart from the Canelo fight, there's no point in sticking around at 160 really.

The problem is that there's no real big names at 168 either. Who's the biggest draw there these days? nobody that really offers mouthwatering money. He should still do it though because outside of Canelo, there isn't a lot of money at 160 either and there's not much to prove there now.

If he wants real money outside of the MW division, it would have to be 175 i think. I'd like to see him test the water at 168 and if he's good there, try 175. Other fighters have moved up that far, so there's no reason he shouldn't try it. As i say, i'm a fan of him but i'm the kind of fan that wants to see the fighter test themselves, win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
                    Of course. You have to compare fighters wins to determine their ranking. That's what every sanctioning body and bookie does.
                    LOL I'm surprised you don't know that. If your asking me if G can beat Ward the answer is no. There is too much of a size difference and the refs turn a blind eye to Ward's head butting low blows ducking below the waist etc. Against Ward G would be facing a dominent champion who never lost. Hagler never moved up because he was too small to fight Spinks. He would have got his ass kicked and Hagler is rated an ATG at middleweight.
                    None of that has anything to do with what I said.

Comment

• Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
                      wtf??? Srr started at lightweight and even he tried to fight for a title at 175 but failed do to heat exhaustion...
                      I explained that to him Larry but G-string fans don't see straight.

Comment

Working...
                      X