No announcement yet.

Chuck Liddell says he could fight 'tomorrow' with right offer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck Liddell says he could fight 'tomorrow' with right offer

The Iceman cometh, or at least, he could be interested in it if the money is right.

Over the past few months, rumors have been circulating about a return to the cage for former UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell. For his part, Liddell has denied any plans for a comeback but he’s also left the door open saying he could be persuaded out of retirement if the money was right. Well apparently Liddell has been keeping in shape in case that call comes.

Speaking recently with MMA Tonight, Liddell said that a comeback was possible and that he’s physically in good enough shape to go should the appropriate opportunity present itself.

“I’ve thought about it but everyone’s gonna have to keep wondering. I’m not sure yet, so we’ll see. . .

“I’m healthy. It would probably take more than [a month] to set it up, but I’m not sure yet. We’ll see. I mean, it depends on what gets offered. If someone offers me something crazy, I could fight tomorrow, but it just depends.”

According to one man, something crazy has been offered. Though Liddell is the one who gave birth to rumors of a comeback in June when he teased a possible trilogy fight with Tito Ortiz on Instagram, Bellator moneyweight competitor Chael Sonnen quickly inserted himself as the frontrunner for a Liddell comeback fight. Sonnen even argued that Liddell has been offered a fight with him on multiple occasions but turned it down. On MMA Tonight, Liddell disputed these claims and chalked it up to Sonnen’s devil-may-care attitude with the truth.

“That’s not true. I’ve never been offered a fight and I definitely never been offered to fight him. He doesn’t worry about the truth too much with his trash-talking. He’s not afraid to be liberal with his facts.”

Sonnen couldn’t be fighting Liddell anyway as he is now part of the Bellator heavyweight grand prix taking place next year with a scheduled bout against Liddell slayer, Quinton Jackson. Liddell denied any interest in joining that tournament (which released its bracket and matchups yesterday) but did throw out one possible scenario that could get him back in the cage: the $15 million dollars that Nate Diaz reportedly wants to fight Tyron Woodley at UFC 219.

“For $15 million I’ll get in there and fight them both!”

Liddell was the UFC light heavyweight champion from 2005-2007, racking up four successful title defenses in that time. He last fought at UFC 115 in June of 2010, a knockout loss to Rich Franklin.

Not a good idea.

Some fighters just get old and retire.

Some fighters get beaten out of the sport.

Liddell belongs in the latter category. He was getting knocked in back to back fights.

Comment

I'd take an ass beating for 15 million though. As long as there didn't end up being any permanent damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
        I'd take an ass beating for 15 million though. As long as there didn't end up being any permanent damage.
        For 15 million I'd talk like James Toney

Comment

Working...
        X