Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Ggg were to beat Canelo then retire where does this leave his legacy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Ggg were to beat Canelo then retire where does this leave his legacy?

He proved himself and gaped that bridge but he didn't face the rest of 160 Charlo, Andrade, Saunders, Murata, Sergiy.
    Or would Canelo Jacob's and Lemieux be enough to segment his legacy?

Forgotten.

Comment

Let’s be honest another victory over Saul would be a nice feather in the cap, with that said he becomes a Solid middleweight champion, nothing spectacular yet not forgotten. The word great is so overrated, there is nothing wrong with being a real champion, or a pros pro. I think if he takes out another one of the young thoroughbred fighters , Charlo , Saunders, is it going to make that much difference, Danny Jacobs beats either one of those guys.
      Let’s just say GGG is a spectacular fighter, not a legend, and not a Ham & Egger. And that’s that

Comment

The only two meaningful wins will have been Jacobs and Canelo, so his legacy would be debated for a while, then either become meaningful or meaningless depending on where those guys went. Remember how Rigo was a modern legend, then people stopped caring when his two biggest wins became *meh*. By the time he fought Loma, he was a big underdog. Canelo is hot now, but if he loses to GG, then Charlo, he won't mean much on GGs resume.

I think he needs more than a Canelo win to have a truly impressive resume. Not that what he has now is anything to be a ashamed of. It's just not something memorable yet.
        Last edited by Redd Foxx; 06-20-2018, 04:56 AM.

Comment

one legacy win plus near undisputed unification isvery good, good 2014-2018 title reign too.

Comment

If he was to beat Canelo i think he still needs to get maybe 2 more big name M/Ws to cement his legacy.
            If he were to beat Canelo,Saunders and Charlo or Devrynchenko i think he would be down for ATG and HOF status.
            To me even if he quit tomorrow i would still put him as a HOFer.

Comment

Originally posted by BLASTER1 View Post
              If he was to beat Canelo i think he still needs to get maybe 2 more big name M/Ws to cement his legacy.
              If he were to beat Canelo,Saunders and Charlo or Devrynchenko i think he would be down for ATG and HOF status.
              To me even if he quit tomorrow i would still put him as a HOFer.
              famous for what fact though?

I'd say elite but not HoF, thats a claim too far.

Comment

He would have ducked Saunders and Charlo, needs to beat them to really enhance his legacy..... I don't see there being any other fighters after them that the fans REALLY want to see him fight.

Comment

just below Calzaghe status

Comment

Good but not great. If he gets someone like BJS, and maybe get all the belts back (Charlo, Dervy or Jacobs rematch) then it would be a great resume. Because he would have beaten his younger up and comers rivals and carry everyone of the belts at 160.

Comment

Working...
                    X