Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Facebook Live Fine...Scare tactic or legit? could this happen in the US?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook Live Fine...Scare tactic or legit? could this happen in the US?

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/01/...book-live.html

treaming knockout: Boxing fan hit with $115,000 bill after friend streamed fight on Facebook Live

A British boxing fan was hit with a $115,000 bill after a friend of his streamed the April 2017 Anthony Joshua/Wladimir Klitschko fight on Facebook Live.

Craig Foster paid the £19.95 ($26.99) to watch the fight on Sky Box Office, allowing him to watch the April fight on pay-per-view at his home with his friends. But one of Foster's friends, who reportedly had too much to drink, started streaming the fight on Foster's iPad to Facebook Live.

Sky found Foster from the watermark on his account number, which showed up on the screen, according to The Mirror, which first reported the news.

After Sky tracked him down, they canceled Foster's subscription and sent him a bill for £85,000 ($115,000), citing lost revenue from pay-per-view sales. The Facebook stream was watched by approximately 4,250 people. Approximately 400,000 people in total used Facebook to illegally watch the fight.

Foster has acknowledged his wrongdoing and has agreed to pay £5,000 ($6,761) to Sky in legal costs, according to a report in The Independent.

Fox News has reached out to Sky for comment on this story.

Foster knew streaming the fight was wrong, but "I didn’t stop my friend but I was watching the boxing. I’m just a bloke who had a few drinks with his friends," he said in an interview with The Mirror.

Law firm Foot Anstey LLP, who represented Sky, had asked him to turn over the names of the people who watched the stream, but Foster chose not to reveal that information, according to the report.

Illegal streaming woes

The fight, which saw Joshua triumph over Klitschko in the 11th round by technical knockout, was called "the most anticipated boxing match in decades" by German broadcaster Deutsche Welle. However, it pales in comparison to the recent Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor fight when it comes to illegal streaming.

In August, citing data from digital security expert Irdeto, Fox News reported that more than 2.9 million people watched Mayweather take on McGregor on pirated streams. Some 239 illegal streams were found, accroding to Irdeto.

A mysterious code reportedly appeared in some of the Mayweather-McGregor pirated streams, sparking suspicions that someone was trying to find out who was watching the illegal streams.

Copyright and filesharing news site TorrentFreak said it had received an unsubstantiated report that “an unusual watermark” was embedded into streams originally broadcast by Sky Sports Box Office, which was licensed to show the fight in the U.K. Sky declined to comment to Fox News when contacted in August.

Showtime, which sponsored the event, said the fight did 4.3 million pay-per-view buys, making it the second largest pay-per-view event of all time behind 2015's fight between Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao, which set a North American pay-per-view mark at 4.6 million buys.

Fox News' James Rogers contributed to this report. Follow Chris Ciaccia on Twitter chris_Ciaccia

People will end up boycotting.

Comment

Originally posted by j.razor View Post
      People will end up boycotting.
      boycotting what?

Comment

He wasn’t slick like a bruva, so he got caught and deserves to get fined.

Phuck Facebook or whatever else people use to watch a fight. Broke bums. 😎

But on the real doe.... a lot of people upload the fights right away on YouTube. Just wait for the fight to be over and check YouTube after. That’s how I usually watch the fights I don’t want to pay for. Try it, fellas.

Comment

Originally posted by TainoGodCanelo View Post
          He wasn’t slick like a bruva, so he got caught and deserves to get fined.

Phuck Facebook or whatever else people use to watch a fight. Broke bums. ��

But on the real doe.... a lot of people upload the fights right away on YouTube. Just wait for the fight to be over and check YouTube after. That’s how I usually watch the fights I don’t want to pay for. Try it, fellas.
          They're going after the streamers not the viewers.

Comment

They'll never stop it. Sure an English HBO/Sky stream is nice but if they have to people will just watch a stream from a country where they don't give a **** like Russia. Which Sky/HBO can do nothing about.

Comment

For torrents they started adding the cinavia watermark which disabled audio after 20 minutes into a video, but pirates managed to bypass this somehow. They'll never win the war against piracy, the most they can do is send DMCA warnings in the US but most are covering their tracks now by using proxies or VPN. The guy that was streaming off facebook was different, it was on social media, IP is logged - dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
                They'll never stop it. Sure an English HBO/Sky stream is nice but if they have to people will just watch a stream from a country where they don't give a **** like Russia. Which Sky/HBO can do nothing about.
                Fans will fien for boxing content, but the streamers willing to risk financial ruin are going to be fewer and fewer, especially if they ramp up this push to make examples out of people.

Sky hit this guy for stealing the Joshua fight over a stream "that his drunk friend used his computer for" (haven't seen the footage and won't seek it out, but if you can be piss drunk and still hold a camera steady for an extended lot of time, you're a better man than I); if Sky hits another sap for the Joshua-Parker fight, and then again hits a handful of saps for trying to steal the likely Joshua-Wilder fight, the risk calculus for trying to steal a Sky Sports/Showtime/HBO feed for the fight will clearly change.

If you want to steal fights over a Russian/Portuguese/Polish/etc stream, so be it; most folks want to understand the commentary of what they're watching, and I doubt that most folks will bother with trying to pick up basic Russian.

Crack down on the English-language feeds (UK/Ireland, Australia, Canada, etc), give fans the additional option of streaming directly from the broadcaster, and things will sort themselves out.

Won't lead to a 100% end of piracy, but it'll definitely knock it down a massive amount.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                  Fans will fien for boxing content, but the streamers willing to risk financial ruin are going to be fewer and fewer, especially if they ramp up this push to make examples out of people.

Sky hit this guy for stealing the Joshua fight over a stream "that his drunk friend used his computer for" (haven't seen the footage and won't seek it out, but if you can be piss drunk and still hold a camera steady for an extended lot of time, you're a better man than I); if Sky hits another sap for the Joshua-Parker fight, and then again hits a handful of saps for trying to steal the likely Joshua-Wilder fight, the risk calculus for trying to steal a Sky Sports/Showtime/HBO feed for the fight will clearly change.

If you want to steal fights over a Russian/Portuguese/Polish/etc stream, so be it; most folks want to understand the commentary of what they're watching, and I doubt that most folks will bother with trying to pick up basic Russian.

Crack down on the English-language feeds (UK/Ireland, Australia, Canada, etc), give fans the additional option of streaming directly from the broadcaster, and things will sort themselves out.

Won't lead to a 100% end of piracy, but it'll definitely knock it down a massive amount.
                  IDGAF bout the announcers in most fights doe............

Comment

This isn't news. This started 15 years ago with the Napster stuff, and has been happening for years with the UFC.
                    2014 successful lawsuit by the UFC;
                    https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/2/1...uit-individual

Comment

Working...
                    X