Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what exactly should be my goal when doing roadwork??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what exactly should be my goal when doing roadwork??

ok it may seem like a stupid question, but I've been thinking...when running, should I try to run nonstop for as long as I can up to a certain distance?? or should I be trying to run for an hour straight, period? what I'm doing right now is I've chosen a certain point I want to run up to when I'm out for a run, but when I'm running I keep stopping and pacing myself for 30 sec. before running again. The entire run lasts about 40 min and I increase the distance every week, so...am I doing this right???

I'm training for boxing but I'm not doing intervals right since I'm still trying to develop a solid base.....

try and run for a certain amount of time when your startin off 20-30mins non stop at a good pace just until your inshape then start the intervals

Comment

Originally posted by warriorsingh84' View Post
      ok it may seem like a stupid question, but I've been thinking...when running, should I try to run nonstop for as long as I can up to a certain distance?? or should I be trying to run for an hour straight, period? what I'm doing right now is I've chosen a certain point I want to run up to when I'm out for a run, but when I'm running I keep stopping and pacing myself for 30 sec. before running again. The entire run lasts about 40 min and I increase the distance every week, so...am I doing this right???

I'm training for boxing but I'm not doing intervals right since I'm still trying to develop a solid base.....

It was proven more than 50 years ago that long-slow-distance is a rather ineffective means of training. Probably the only major sport left in the world where people still advocate it is boxing. Just because Rocky Marciano ran 10 or 15 miles a day doesn't mean to say you should. His biographers also claimed he would go flat out for 60 or 70 consequtive rounds on a heavybag! This is taking training to needles extremes. 2.5 miles a day of intervals will get you just as fit as 15 long-slow miles, and will put a lot less wear on your body. It is quality that counts not quantity. When you do the fast lap, do it as fast as you can. Your goal should be to decrease the total time for the 2.5 miles a few seconds every week.

Boxers do roadwork for two reasons, increasing fitness and decreasing weight. If you are one of these guys who is prone to weight gains, then you will have to do a bit more roadwork.

Comment

Originally posted by warriorsingh84' View Post

try not to stop at all in your runs. if something hurts, stop to stretch, but other than that, keep as a steady a pace. it prevents cramping and gives you better cardio.

vary your runs alot, if you go for a long (over 10) mile run on monday, take the next day easy, run, just not your hardest.

try workouts, as in a couple short distance runs. go to the track and pick a time for each distance, and get that a couple times with breaks in between. (i.e. try to run 4 quarter miles at 90%).

always do warm-ups and cool-downs, after a run ur muscles tighten up a lot, so afterwards do some accelerations or at least stretch good. the same with before running.

if you can, run with someone else, whether that means a friend or joining the crosscountry/track team, it helps alot to have someone to pace you. if you cant run with someone else, get a watch/stopwatch and keep track of each seperate mile so you know your staying at a good steady pace.

last thing-dont always run at a track. running hills really gets your legs in a lot better shape.

just some stuff i picked up from crouss country this year, hope it helps

Comment

I would keep it for 15-20 minutes...

since a boxing match is 4 x 3 minute rounds...12 minutes, round it up to 15-20

i do this either running or jump roping for 20 minutes once a week, and the other two days for conditioning are intervals

Comment

Originally posted by NJFighter91 View Post
            I would keep it for 15-20 minutes...

since a boxing match is 4 x 3 minute rounds...12 minutes, round it up to 15-20

i do this either running or jump roping for 20 minutes once a week, and the other two days for conditioning are intervals
            If you're referring to amateur boxing, bouts are 4 x 2 minutes, not 3 minutes.

Comment

yeah, my bad...i forgot about that...i used to train 3 minute rounds and i always thought rounds were 3 minutes

Comment

thanks for all the advice. I think what I'll do is continue running 2.5 miles 2-3 times a week until I can atleast be able to run it non stop at a slower pace then what I'm doing right now; cuz right now I think reason I keep stopping is I keep switching up my pace during the run, going slow then going fast and tiring out since I'm not in shape right now. Once I can do that, i'll cut down to twice a week distance running and 3 times a week intervals, if I can handle that, that is...

quick question about hill sprints... I only have one hill nearby my house and it's not very steep, I was thinking can I do "hill" sprints up a road?? like lets say I'm running then all of a sudden the road starts sloping upwards, I can sprint?? would that be good enough also?

Comment

Working...
                X