No announcement yet.

Weightlifting Myth ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weightlifting Myth ?

LOADS of the people at school have discouraged me from going to the gym and doin weights cos they say weights make me shorter..

Wtf ? I`m already a short dude and no, i do not wanna be a midget. But no weightlifting? How am i suppose to work out?

So is it true that weights make you grow shorter or grow slower or are they just askin for a slap in the nuts?

Your bones grow till you are 21 years old. Hard weight training at a too young age does stop your natural growth.

Comment

Originally posted by :Bobby: View Post
      Your bones grow till you are 21 years old. Hard weight training at a too young age does stop your natural growth.
      thtas a myth.

theres is not evidence that support your claim.

hit the weights, but be careful at young age so you wont get injured

this has been discussed over and over again.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=34445
      Last edited by leff; 10-12-2006, 03:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SRHL View Post
        LOADS of the people at school have discouraged me from going to the gym and doin weights cos they say weights make me shorter..

Wtf ? I`m already a short dude and no, i do not wanna be a midget. But no weightlifting? How am i suppose to work out?

So is it true that weights make you grow shorter or grow slower or are they just askin for a slap in the nuts?
        WHERE DO PEOPLE COME UP WITH THIS STUFF? IT IS ABSOLUTLY A MYTH, PROBABLY ONE THAT CAME FROM THE 30'S OR SOMTHING AND TRICKLED DOWN THROUGH THE AGES. MUSCLES STREATCH RIGHT? SO WHY WOULD ENHANCING THEM STUNT YOUR GROWTH?

Comment

I don't know, but did you ever notice that most people that lift weights are kinda short and bulky. Just sayin

Comment

are you ****in ******ed... Ive lifted since i was in 7th grade, and im 6'2... I think almost every person i know who lifts is taller than shorter

Comment

Originally posted by Dunkeroo View Post
              I don't know, but did you ever notice that most people that lift weights are kinda short and bulky. Just sayin
              No, the people who are GOOD at lifting weights (ie. weightlifting and powerlifting) are short and bulky, because it's an advantage.

Do you think NBA players get real tall from playing basketball? "But they're so tall, it must be from basketball" It's the other way around.

Incidentally, NBA players (and most other even semi serious basketball players) lift weights. Short and bulky?

Comment

Originally posted by oshea1690 View Post
                are you ****in ******ed... Ive lifted since i was in 7th grade, and im 6'2... I think almost every person i know who lifts is taller than shorter
                It must have been all the basketball you've been playing. If you hadn't lifted anything at all your whole life, including your bookbag, you could have been 7' 5"....

Comment

weight lifting when your not fully grown damages your growth platlets

Comment

Originally posted by Manfredo Jr View Post
                    weight lifting when your not fully grown damages your growth platlets
                    I have hear this too from a physiotherapist.

Comment

Working...
                    X